Cool

Is this enough combat for you?

------------------
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

I see the Warbird finally shows her claws

------------------
    '...The Borg have stopped at deck 10...'
    '...Deflector Control, no vital systems...'

Not a vital system! What the heck do you think stops the ship going 'poof' every time it goes to warp?

- ST:First Contact; Lt Hawk

Question

Since the beggining, the warbird's chances to beat us were very little, right? I mean, our group (specially our captain, me!) is performing very badly, executing some stupid maneuvers, with very little strategy and coodination, and even so, we´re going to win this one... or I should say, SURVIVE this one...

I think it's because of our lack of experience, and I speak for myself at least, since it's the first time out there with a Federation starship (actually, I'm a seasoned x-wing starfighter pilot, not a Federation captain, hehehehehe.....). But that was a challenge to me, and I decided to take it.

But the game is very good. I'm enjoying it. Really. Thanks to all of you guys playing with and helping me during the course of the battle. You were great. See you all in turn 11.

Capt. Ronaldo Marques
    USS Vanguard, NCC 68707

I suppose we've proved that fighters can work against capital ships in the StarTrek universe.

But if Seylar goes down she'll take the Starfleeters with her!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cmdr Powers:
    Is this enough combat for you?

</font>
    Yup.

Cool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pesterfield:
    I suppose we've proved that fighters can work against capital ships in the StarTrek universe.

But if Seylar goes down she'll take the Starfleeters with her!
    </font>
    At least in Space Dock...

I always was pretty sure about the use of fighters, but there are tactics that can be developed against them. Your use of explosive yield photorps was one of them that should prove effective. One of the things about fighters is that while they pack a mean punch, they are quite fragile. Their shields seem fairly effective, but low thresholds mean that they will be penetrated every time! Then, almost any damage that leaks through will blow a system out. Star Runner has survived multiple damage through having myriad systems to be hit.

------------------

How close are your fighters to what will be in the DWSB?

So what systems on a fighter [/b]won't kill the crew when they explode?

------------------
    '...The Borg have stopped at deck 10...'
    '...Deflector Control, no vital systems...'

Not a vital system! What the heck do you think stops the ship going 'poof' every time it goes to warp?

- ST:First Contact; Lt Hawk

Cool

Glad you asked. Steve was kind enough to send us the exact correct stats for the Starfleet Attack Fighter just for this simulation. So we're using the same fighters you'll get in the DWS. ...and they kick ass (when used properly. YMMV...)

As for exploding systems- well, when you use the hit location tables, you have to ignore just about everything since none of that stuff is on a fighter. Reroll, reroll, reroll, boom. Almost anything that can get past the threshold will pop a system on a fighter. One of our fighters has no Comm. Another one has no warp core. You get the picture?
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by Cmdr Powers (edited 04-17-2001).]

Smile

I was wondering.... Our game served as a combat test for the Peregrine class fighters, didn't it? If so, I think our fighter pass the test! If Steve Long could see their usefulness in combat, I'm sure he would be impressed. They're fantastic! Every Akira in Starfleet should carry a squadron of these "toys" for an effective defense. Perhaps the Perimeter Defense Directive (I think that's the name, correct me if I'm wrong) would be boosted with a policy like this one implemented.

Hey, have you heard that, Mr. Starfleet Chief of Operations? Hehehehehe...

See ya!

Capt. Ronaldo Marques
    USS Vanguard, NCC 68707

Well the game has been suprisingly good up to this point. We're holding our own . . . and the romulans have proven to be a worthy enemy against us, or at least I would say. The best way I would describe it is like a Big bear against a Hive . . . sure it might be bigger and harder hitting . . . however like bees, all those little stings count towards something big and nasty in its own right.

However, I wonder what would of happened if the diplomatic overtures had worked . . . oh well.

------------------
    "See Everything; overlook a great deal; correct a little." -Pope John XXIII

Exclamation

TURN 11 RESULTS: GAME OVER!

Commander Seylar of the Romulan Star Navy issued commands to make a run on Star Runner, reinforcing her forward shields back up to over 900 by diverting power from aft shields. At the terminus of the run, Star Runner would point-blank fire a plasma torpedo right down USS Vanguard's throat.

It was not to be.

As Star Runner sluggishly began to respond to these new commands, USS Vanguard multifired 4 quantum torpedoes into Star Runner's forward aspect. The shields weren't up and 1600 points of damage slammed into the crippled ship! Explosions, hull breaches, failing systems, and finally the general collapse of the main superstructure. Star Runner was expanding wreckage. Romulan personnel who managed to get to escape pods were lucky. Commander Seylar had saved their lives with her order for non-essential personnel to get to the pods.

Crew on those pods and Lt. LaSalle, piloting the Attack Fighter Phoenix had a ring-side seat as he watched the quantum torpedoes flash into the huge warbird and detonate. Then the singularity collapsed. Star Runner became a star. Lt. La Salle died instantly as his fighter was struck by the shockwave. Only 25 escape pods and some 57 Romulans escaped general destruction. The shockwave raced out from the blast and washed over the shields of the other Starfleet ships, blowing out USS Vanguard's meager forward shields. The other ships survived the blast unscathed, but USS Vanguard's forward shields collapsed and her sensor systems were 25% damaged. Twelve more crew were killed from conduit feedback explosions.

Captain Ronaldo Marques now had a dilemma. He had won the battle, but the war might not be over. Commander Seylar had definitely contacted the Star Empire about her find and Starfleet's presence. There had to be a Romulan Task Force on the way right this moment. He had a badly damaged starship with unrecovered shuttles and fighter all through this part of the belt. Recovery would have to be effected through the forward shuttlebay until Engineering could get the aft bay repaired. Sickbay facilities were filled with radiation and decompression casualties. Marques wasn't sure if Vanguard could face another battle in her condition.

And there was the Romulan's discovery. What had they found on the planet and what were those strange anti-proton readings coming from Planet 3's larger moon? What had become of Star Runner's away team?
    Should Captain Marques take the time to investigate, or should he do what his instincts told him and get the hell out of this system? And did he have a duty to rescue the Romulans who had escaped the death of their ship?

This ends the Akira vs D'Deridex simulation. I think we've proved that Starfleet Attack Fighters can make the difference. Throughout the main part of the battle, the Star Runner had to deal with crippling blows from the wings of fighters rather than concentrate on Vanguard. Those blows depleted her shields away and she was helpless to deal with the big attack from Vanguard.

Also, random chance played a factor. If Star Runner had managed to get initiative on turn 11, she would have been able to reinforce her shields and get close enough to Vanguard to put some big hurt into the Federation ship. Unfortunately, with her SU's so depleted, Star Runner still wouldn't survive long.

Good game everyone. I enjoyed doing this and I hope you did too. Please let me know what you think.

'Commander Powers'

Marques, pick up the survivors and use them as hostages!

Thumbs up

Great Sim!

I had a blast, in spite of getting blasted.

------------------
    Doug Odell

A very good game . . . to bad my character was running away in a pitiful little Type 7.

------------------
    "See Everything; overlook a great deal; correct a little." -Pope John XXIII

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster