Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sexy+2 advantage

Question sexy+2 advantage

I wondered about this after reading about 'actor portrayals' by Laetitia Casta.

Shouldn't there also be attractive+1
    and/or supermodel+3 advantages?

------------------
    'I dunno, I can imagine quite a bit...'

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by StyroFoam Man:
    Sure, why not? I could also see Buxom +2, Hot +3, and WOWZA +4...

</font>

Oh, that's really good. LOL

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

Keeper Guest

Lt. Medrard (Laetitia Casta) is in my series. Her player, Yvette, is quite proud to make it known she is the sexiest science officer in Starfleet. There seems to be some kind of French pride thing going on, and she gets upset when we point out that the only time she's been left in charge of the ship she ended up having to surrender to the Pakleds in order to save the XO.

Stiff wind blows through Paris and the French capitulate...

------------------
    Man is to man a god when he recognizes his duty.

[This message has been edited by Keeper (edited 08-09-2001).]

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

I was thinking, attractive is like sexy, i. e. you get one extra d6, but only when interacting with (fe)males of your own race (or VERY similar ones).

the +3 version (watshamacallit) would give you TWO additional dice when interacting with your own race and 'just' one for other races.

I came up with this because I thought 'what do Centaurans call sexy if they all have this advantage?'

------------------
    'I dunno, I can imagine quite a bit...'

Red face

Is it just me or is there something...I dunno...dirty about the concept of interspecies attraction and mating?

I mean, realistically, I can look at Deanna and say "Yeah, she's cute."
    But I know that Marina Sirtis is human.

The concept of having sex with an alien is, when you think about it, something like bestiality. I mean, I am genetically closer to my dog than I would be to a Betazoid, or Vulcan or Bajoran.

And as much as a Bajoran supermodel might be better looking than my dog - she's still a different species!

*shudder*

Anyway, I've probably said too much now...

------------------
    "Every atom in our bodies was forged in the furnace of ancient stars - it is our destiny to return home..."

Hmmm... I like the idea of an Attractive Advantage. And I can see it working the way described. You have to remember that in the future world of Star Trek, racism is almost at a null. I encourage inter-species relationships very much within my games. I mean, look at Kirk. If the chick was a different color, he was going to try to "bag" her.

There's a couple aliens that I could definitely become interested in. There's a couple female Klingons, Bajorans for sure, and mostly...female Trills! Although that brings up a couple "gross-out" thoughts. (And I'd need a surgeon after any relations with a Klingon.)

------------------
    =========================
    Captain Scott Taylor
    U.S.S. Guardian
    NCC-1738-B
    "No, no! I'm chaos. He's Mayhem!"
    http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/startrekgamersstation

Lightbulb

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Aldaron:
    The concept of having sex with an alien is, when you think about it, something like bestiality. I mean, I am genetically closer to my dog than I would be to a Betazoid, or Vulcan or Bajoran.

And as much as a Bajoran supermodel might be better looking than my dog - she's still a different species!
    </font>
    Not strictly speaking true...

What is true is that for over 30 years the matter of inter-species relationships, and genetic compatibility, while a factor, was never addressed.

The key here, Is Genetic Compatibility...

Humans seem to be (In Rodenberrys vision) compatible accross the galaxy, which means that genetically you have far more in common with an Alien than your dog.

Of course these days we are all aware that the chances of meeting a compatible humanoid alien species is astronomical (If you Please excuse the pun!!!)

During TNG they finally explained this compatibility, as well as the 'Humanoid with bumpy forheads' key to most alien species.

Basically all humanoid life was seeded by progenitors in ancient times, and allowed to develop and evolve on their own.

But basically, in the Trek universe, we all come from the same base genetic stock...

I hope that helps.

------------------
    DanG.

"Hi, I'm Commander Troy McClure, you might remember me from other academy training holo-simulations as, Abandon Ship, the quickest way out, and I sense danger, 101 things you dont need a Betazoid to know..."

http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.uk

Same genitic stock...so does that mean a targ could breed with my dog?!? (sorry I couldn't resist)

Phoenix...

Yes, and I actually have a Doberman Targ at home. I'll send you pictures of him.

Going back to the Sexy (+2) subject: what about a scale, just like GURPS? They range from Really Ugly (-4) or something like that, to Extremely Attractive (+4). I read GURPS Trek manuals where this scale was used, but it was VERY biased pro standard humanoids and it denigrated Tellarites and other more different species as "Ugly".

How to make an universal beauty parameter? That's impossible. Although I happen to find B'Etor very attractive. Bad thing she's dead now.

------------------
    Chakotay: You didn't poison my coffee, did you?
    Janeway: Not any more than I usually do.
    "The Voyager Conspiracy", Voyager

In my game, we feel that Sexy is a combination of appearance and personality. And beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. A Tellarite with Sexy might not be so hot to a Human, so it'd apply to other Tellarites (or other species that likes the Other White Meat).

Since we regard Sexy in this way, Vulcans are not allowed to take Sexy. They may be beautiful in appearance, but they just don't have the personality to back it up.

Creating an Attractive +1 advantage might be a good way to walk the line on it.

Thanks for the idea, Robert. :-D

------------------
    Anomaly

Anomaly TrekMUX: http://anomaly.mybis.com

I was going to say that beauty is too subjective to be broken down TOO finely. Besides, if I wanted to be playing GURPS, I would be. The simplified advantages help speed up the game, and I like that.

In the ICON system, the difference between the stunning knockout and the "merely" beautiful is found in two places... the empathy edge, and the charm skill.

But because someone like say, Guinian has a high empathy edge, you have the "sexy" advantage to differentiate who's got a little bit more, so to speak.

Let's put this in historical perspective: The legendary knockouts like Mae West and Marilyn Monroe were legendary for the way they carried themselves and *acted* sexy. Think of the famous picture of Marilyn Monroe with her dress blowing up over the sewer grate. That's the charm skill in action, a classic case. To give her some "gosh darned sexy +5" advantage instead would be missing the point on how skills work in the ICON system.

Wink

So if with the +3 advantage you get 2 dice for your species and 1 for all others, what will +4 WOWZA! get you?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dan Gurden:

But basically, in the Trek universe, we all come from the same base genetic stock...

</font>
    Sorta like differet breeds of Dogs

------------------
    All these worlds are yours, except Europa, which is a wholy owned subsidary of weownthattoo, Inc. (TM)