Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spacedock Spreadsheet Template v2.3

Post Spacedock Spreadsheet Template v2.3

Greetings!

The latest version of the Spacedock Spreadsheet Template is now available.

The biggest addition is the use of form controls to aid data entry. Now, instead of having to remember every nacelle or transition coil type, there are drop down boxes and spinners.

The next additions are two macros. [CTRL]+[W] (Add_Beam_Weapon) and [CTRL]+[T] (Add_Torpedo). Each macro adds a data block for the corresponding weapon type. The new block is inserted above the first existing weapon. In order to use these macros, you'll have to have macros enabled.

I'd like to thank Ken Morse for suggesting the addition of the form controls. I think they add a lot to the template and make it easier to use.

If anyone would like a copy, please contact me off list.

Thanks.

Rick

PS Everyone who has asked for a copy before today should have gotten the latest version e-mailed to them earlier this afternoon.

That was some kick ass stuff Rick!
    Many thanks

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Greetings!

Thanks. I'm glad you liked it. I hope people can put it to good use in their games. From what I hear, Steve plans on doing some add-ons to Spacedock to expand upon the ship design rules for different species. When he does, I'll add those to the template (or make a new one).

My next improvement for the spreadsheet is to figure out a cool way to export and/or print a ship once you have it entered into the template. I'd like to have the output look just like the ship templates in Spacedock, but that may be asking alot. If I can at least get it to print something close to that, I'll be happy.

Thanks again.

Rick

The format has changed slightly for the SRM. The next version of SD will use the new template format.

Depending for what kind of accuracy you are striving for, I can provide you with the font/kerning/tracking/point information used in the starship templates from the SRM if you'd like.

Don

Greetings!

That would actually be pretty cool to have. Please send it over.

After posting last night, I started to play with ways to print and I think I've found a reasonably simple way to use "mail merge" features to do it.

In theory, the add-on will help people make a database of ships (using only Excel) that is linked via mail merge codes to a Word template. Whenever you make a new ship, you can add it to the database and the information will automatically be organized in the "official" format for printing. All of the ships a person makes will then be available for printing whenever they want and will even reflect changes made to the spreadsheet template.

Right now there are a few steps the user has to perform that I'd like to eliminate, but I think it'll work pretty slick. Having all the font and formatting information will make it that much better.

Thanks.

Rick

Talking

Thanks Rick

I have to say this is one Class A Piece of Work.

Thanks for sending me the File

Karg

Question

First of all, Rick, let me thank you for sending me the file. It IS a first class piece of work and I certainly appreciate the time and effort you put into it.

I can see that for fairly standard designs the worksheet should have no problems. Of course I had problems ;P

My Akira design has two warp cores, so I needed to be able to expand that portion of the template.

When I had to add extra phaser arrays, the Control W worked just fine, but when I needed to add additional photorp launchers, the Control t definitely did not. It seemed to just add additional phaser array rows. Also, could the template be modified to allow more than one tube per launcher location?

I'm afraid that my knowledge of Excel is limited at this time. Any help you can provide will be definitely appreciated.

------------------
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

Greetings!

>>First of all, Rick, let me thank you for sending me the file. It IS a first class piece of work and I certainly appreciate the time and effort you put into it.
    I can see that for fairly standard designs the worksheet should have no problems.<<

You're wlecome. I'm glad people are finding it useful.

>> My Akira design has two warp cores, so I needed to be able to expand that portion of the template. <<

I hadn't considered they need for two, but since it's possible (especially in ships with multiple parts), I've added a Secondary Warp Core line. More can be added by copying the row with the warp core data in it and pasting it below (row 102). The formula should adjust appropriately. In versions earlier than 2.4 (coming soon!), you'll have to adjust the formula lookups to match the new row number. If you're not used to using Excel, don't worry, version 2.4 is coming "real soon now".

>> When I had to add extra phaser arrays, the Control W worked just fine, but when I needed to add additional photorp launchers, the Control t definitely did not. It seemed to just add additional phaser array rows. <<

I can't duplicate this problem on my copy of the file. If you can send me a copy of your file, I'll see if I can find the error. Has anyone else had this problem?

>> Also, could the template be modified to allow more than one tube per launcher location? <<

I'm not sure if I understand what you're asking. If you want to have more than one launcher at the same location, sure you can just add another launcher and say it's in the same place. If you want each location to have a greater spread, just increase it. If you want to have two physical tubes, then I'd say you need two separate launchers in the same location. I'm sorry if I'm only confusing the issue, but I'm just not following you. That's what I get for gaming 'til 1:30am last night and trying to think the next morning.

Rick

Thanks for the quick reply.

Your suggestion about the launchers is a good one - providing my template is working properly with 'control t'.

I did try duplicating and pasting the warp engine line and it seemed to work.

Let me try again with 'control t' and see if it wasn't just some mistake on my part.

Thanks again!

------------------
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

Originally posted by Greg Smith:
    Your spreadsheet is very impressive. It makes ship design so much easier. Thanks.

One minor quibble: I think both the ODN and attitude control are required and are not optional.

You're probably right. I think for the ODN, that I was a bit confused at first whether you needed the ODN with the Bio-neural gel packs. Steve has recently clarified that rule (i.e. you do need both) and I'll see about making changes. The Attitude Control is really a no-brainer, so I'll change that as well.

Thanks.

Rick

I just though of something else: embedded warp nacelles. That would be a real help for designing Cardassian ships

------------------
    Greg

"Calm may work for Locutus of Borg here, but I'm freaked and intend to stay that way."

Thumbs up

Your spreadsheet is very impressive. It makes ship design so much easier. Thanks.

One minor quibble: I think both the ODN and attitude control are required and are not optional.

------------------
    Greg

"Calm may work for Locutus of Borg here, but I'm freaked and intend to stay that way."

Greetings!

Macros Update! There are problems with both the CTRL-W and CTRL-T macros. Once you add a block of Beam Weapons, it throws off the cell range for CTRL-T and you get garbage. I'm working on a fix and it'll be included in v2.4.

Printing is coming along. I've been able to figure a way out to automate most of the process and create a very close match for the SRM templates. It'll take a while to finish, but not too long. A couple of weeks I think.

I've also caught a lot of little bugs and fixed a few SU and power calculation issues. A copy of this version (v2.35) will go out tonight to everyone who has received a copy from me in the past. The macro fix and printing will follow soon in v2.4.

Steve tells me the Cardassian SRM has some new rules for building Cardassian ships (mostly chages to SU and Power costs), so expect a Cardassian version of the Spreadsheet shortly after the book is released.

Thanks.

Rick

Wow!

This thing is GREAT! And thanks for making the Intrepid the sample ship. It's made my life much easier, as I'm working on an Intrepid mod. I'd like to second the Reserve Warp Core addition, as the MSD on Voyager shows that Intrepid-class vessels have a reserve core. I'd also like to request that you add the experimental ELH to the EMH drop down menu. I made the mod on my copy of the sheet, but others may want to play with it...

Thanks!

CAPT Morden
    USS Ark Angel

Livonia, Michigan, US; Holder of the Steve Long Pink Elephant for SRM Volume 2: The Cardassian Empire Testreading

The "reserve warp core", according to Rich Sternbach, is just a pile of spare parts for the warp core in the shape of a second warp core.

------------------
    It's is our last, best hope for peace? We are so screwed.