Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ship Price List

For those slow of mind and math, like me, the above post posits that a quad is 10^15 bytes, or bits (depending on interpretation).

------------------
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

Talking

Lancer said:
    “I noted that you don't have prices for housing right now. Do you plan to fill this gap anytime soon?”

I can tell you how much a house would cost. Unfortunately I can’t tell you how much the land it sits on would cost. Star Trek has (to my knowledge) given no solid data on the value of land on a class M planet.

Lancer said:
    “I am just curious what kind of housing a Starfleet Officer could expect after retiring from the Fleet after 20 or 30 years of service. Any suggestions?”

Starfleet personnel MUST get some type of retirement benefits. But I don’t know what they would be. A credit appears to have a value some where between a US dime and a US penny. Maybe you could estimate a retirement benefit from that?

Marcus Kavart said:
    “To he who worked out the price of the moon to be replicated!! I mean this in the most respectful way but you have way too much time on your hands!!!”

Yes...yes I do. At the moment I’m out of college and still looking for a decent paying job so I’ve got nothing to do but watch Dr. Who episodes with my girlfriend, Game, and Talk about Gaming.

Spyone said:
    “That makes one kiloquad = 2^60 bytes ~= 1 billion gigabytes, or 1 million million megabytes. That's a fair amount.”

While I respect the mighty (and amazingly intelligent) Joshua Bell I prefer to base my estimate of the capacity of a “Quad” on the Barclays statement rather then on an assumption about naming conventions.
    However purists will note that the difference between my number (1x10^16 bytes) and Joshua Bell’s (1x10^15 bytes) is only a factor of ten. And Barclay was generalizing.

Maybe Quad is a Vulcan (or Andorian) unit that been in used since before the UFP was founded?

------------------
    Just remember, even though it’s a vacuum,
    In space no one can hear you Clean.
    -J.T.

[This message has been edited by J T (edited 06-18-2001).]

But how are the data-sizes of plain-text files annotated? picoQuad?

------------------
    'Who would have thought... A brave Ferengi!'
    Gowron, to Quark, son of Keldar.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Actually we do have one source for land value. Unfortunately, this might not be much help, but here it goes. One episode of DS9, Jake and Nog exchanged a gross of self-sealing stimbolts for a parcel of land on Bajor (I can't remember the actual size measurement that was given.) Afterwards, they made a deal with Quark for 5 bars of Gold-press latinum.

The five bars must of been a reasonable price for the land, because Quark would have definitely negiotated it to a lower price. Possiblely you could use that as a benchmark.

Hope that helped.

Unhappy

The land in question was measured in Bajoran “tessipates.” If anyone knows how a tessipate coverts to acres, or square meters I’d love to hear from you.

------------------
    -J.T.

Cool

As far as memory storage we are assuming that computers would stay Binary.

The only reason computers are Binary is because when they started they were simply on & off switches.

In a current processor, there are millions of "switches" that are just sensors that recoginize voltage as on or off. The sensors inside of a current processor can now detect different levels of voltage. In some of the experimental processors you can have 8 voltage settings with reliable accuracy.

You could have 1 switch process 1 byte of info at a time which would increase the speed as well as the capacity.

Also with the ability of measuring more than 1 voltage, on, we will be able to program computers with the ability of "Fuzzy Logic". Instead of just "Yes" = on and "No" = off, we can have "Maybe" = 1/2 on voltage. This would allow computers to create hypothetical models of things that they could not possibly know. Like the things you see on the Holodeck and transporting people.

One of the advantages of Optical devices is that you can use multiple frequencies of light without interferring with each other. The TB (TeraByte) Optical Drive uses, if I remeber correctly, 27 different frequencies of light. Yes this means 27 different lasers as well as motors to run them. Still it is a huge step toward Optical Data Storage.

Light has interesting properties for Data Storage and transfer. Take a Fiber Optical cable for example. Researchers have fould that you can run at least 17 different frequencies of light over the same cable. This expands the current capability without having to add more cable. This is called Multiplexing.

The only reason why we have not moved into these areas in home computing is that Games...Yes Games run the market.

We could have run RISC processors (the same as in Mac computers) for almost a Decade now.

Technology is being held up because most people are not ready to handle it. Whether it is a game or that it is indecipherable.

I still like the fact that I have a ball park figure to work with. I would imagine that STNG computers would be able to read Binary since it is simple and would be just a matter of what mode that you are in. You probbly would not want to slow down your main ships computer - unless the Earth was going to be destroyed by a suped up 20th century probe returning to find it's creator, but it could be done.

Thanks also for the Holodeck SU's.

JT - I noticed that you have Borinite Crystals on your page. I recently was watching that episode of Voyager reruns. Seven stated that "One could buy a Fleet of Starships with that crystal" (not an exact quote for anyone who taped it). Maybe you could change that number from credits to Bricks of Latinum? Just a thought.

Also thanks for the answers. I like the way you think...only with all the work you did, you could never call yourself lazy!

Talking

Scottmage said:
    “JT - I noticed that you have Borinite Crystals on your page. I recently was watching that episode of Voyager reruns. Seven stated that "One could buy a Fleet of Starships with that crystal" (not an exact quote for anyone who taped it). Maybe you could change that number from credits to Bricks of Latinum? Just a thought.”

Which episode was it (title or plot summary would help)?

How big was the crystal (and did they show it on screen)?

On the Voyager episode were a group of con artists impersonate Jane Way and Tuvok it was shown that 1 kg of Borenite (spelling?) is worth half as much as 1 kg of Dilithium Crystal.

In the DS9 Narrators Tool-kit they imply that Dilithium Crystal is worth a little more than latinum. In who “Morn’s for Morn” they say how many bars a glass of liquid latinum is worth. Since we know how much latinum is worth (2,000,000 per cm^3) we can estimate how much dilithium is worth (~2,300,000 per cm^3). This allows us to find a (very rough) number for Boronite (about ~1,200,000 per gram).

However you’re new info could be very useful in fine tuning the above calculation. And it might be necessary to throw out LUG’s comments on the value of Dilithium in relation to Latinum.

PS: Borenite can be used to make Omega Molecules.

------------------
    -J.T.