Thread: A Horta Character

Post A Horta Character

I've been reading Diane Duane again and my interest in Lt Narhart the Horta officer has been peaked again. I've seen the stats in Treknet and from the TOS rulebook so here's the qestion has anyone used a Horta as a character PC or NPC because I'm thinking of introducing one into my game and wondering how to play it?

Question

Would a horta be able to assume humanoid form? This would help him a lot interact with both people and Starfleet tech.

------------------
    Hoping You'll understand all of this

A humanoid Horta? I think it might look a lot like the rock creature from The Savage Curtain.

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

Arrow

The Excalbians? They may be silicon-based life form but no way near the Horta. AFAIK, Horta can't assume any humanoid form. But shouldn't stop them from wanting to serve as a starfleet officer (provided he passes all his basic qualifications).

It would be nice to see a Horta science officer specializing in geology. Or a Horta engineer specializing in metallurgy (helpful when you need someone who can gather the raw material to build a replacement warp coil). Or have a Horta security officer who knows several ways to break into a secured building: (1) melt the door, (2) melt a hole in the wall, (3) or if forcefield is present, bore a hole under the building up through the floor.

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

[This message has been edited by REG (edited 11-23-2000).]

I remember reading a very old Star Trek novel where a Horta was used for intelligence gathering. According to the story he was dropped from orbit, survived re-entry and impact and reported back on a regular basis while being disguised as a rock. Can't for the life of me think of the name of the novel ...

Imagine a Horta hostage rescue team! They suddenly appear out of the floor and envelope the terrorists or silently sneak away with the hostages through their ready made rescue tunnel.

------------------
    "You couldn't even SPELL Prime Directive!"
    "Not true. It's spelt P-H-A-S-E-R."

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!

Smile

The Romulan Way by Diane Duane and Peter Morwood.