Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Ships Do You Use?

I am inclined to agree about the size and danger of a Romulan singularity core. With one exception.

When the plot demands something more drastic, then that is what it will be...

------------------
    Dan.

"Hi, I'm Commander Troy McClure, you might remember me from other academy training holo-simulations as, Abandon Ship, the quickest way out, and I sense danger, 101 things you dont need a Betazoid to know..."

http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.uk

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve Long:
    1. a. What ship(s) do the PCs in your series use?
    b. Did they pick it, or did the Narrator?
    c. In either case, why that ship? What features about it make it so appealing and/or useful?

2. What ships frequently appear in your series as adversaries? If you're the Narrator, why do you use those particular ships?
    Steve Long
    </font>
    1a)In the first series we started as cadets on an Intrepid, later we were assigned to an Akira.
    1b)In both cases the GM picked the ship (though we did push him for the Akira)
    1c) Intrepid- I don't know, Akira- We liked what little was saw of it in ST:FC, and with some of the on-line info we could find (pre LUG book stats) determined that it was a flexible (cruiser/carrier) combat oriented ship (canon-wise, way, way too many torpedo launchers)

2) The only ship we engaged in the Intreped was a B'Rel-type pirate ship, in the Akira we were assigned to the RNZ/Triangle area (as a side note- two of the characters have the honor surviving an Akira & Defiant vs. D'Deradex skirmish in a Danube), as far as the second half of the question I wasn't the GM.

1a) In the new game I've placed the PC's on a Maranda-ized Sovereign, Fitzgerald-class Deep Space Scout (Maranda-ized= Constitution/Maranda, Galaxy/Nebula ie. remove secondary hull place nacelles under main hull, I got the idea from a drawing on a different site http://www.homestead.com/starshipdes...iles/main.html the Ranger class I think).
    1b) I (as the new GM) picked it.
    1c) I wanted a really small explorer type ship, and none of the canon or non-canon ship really appealed to me, I thought about a Nova-class but other than sensors it had nothing going for it, a real survivablilty issue for a deep space exploration mission.
    2) None, yet. There will be some home grown adversaries, plus possable Klingon, Cardassion, Ferengi, and most-likly Dominion attack ships showing up as the DW starts to heat up- T minus 4 (in game) week till the Dukat alliance...

Well there ya go Steve, but as for my two cents Romulan, mabie some other related designs but go with the Romulans (Please, don't make me wimper like a puppy). But some of the forgotten races would also be nice (non-starfleet federation, Gorn, Tholian, etc...)

Phoenix...

------------------
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    -Napoleon

a) If I am cracking the whip (TNE/DS9):

The crew is slaving as Department Heads on USS Agamemnon / Intrepid class (modified) most of the time. Other ships used by the good beings are: Runabouts, Impulse Fighters, Soyus-Class, Ambassador-Class (modified) and StarFleet Attack fighters. Oh, and a Constitution refit.

As for the enemy we have Maquis, some Alternate Univers Klingons with a D-12 Devil and some B'rels and old planetary defence systems. Not that much space combat right now. Pirats don't fight if surrounded by three Intrepids

If I am manning the oars (as an Andorian Engineer):

We went through a Deneva (what ya mean, surrender to some pirats), served on an Ambassador, aquired a B'rel (old version sleeper ship / Lost in space scenario) and ended up on a Ferengi trader during an undercover ops.

The bad beeings used some Galors, a D'direx and Romulan Scouts, a Kobayashi Maru and some Orion pirat ships. Some space combat using the bases system.

Michael

a) If I am cracking the whip (TNE/DS9):

The crew is slaving as Department Heads on USS Agamemnon / Intrepid class (modified) most of the time. Other ships used by the good beings are: Runabouts, Impulse Fighters, Soyus-Class, Ambassador-Class (modified) and StarFleet Attack fighters. Oh, and a Constitution refit.

As for the enemy we have Maquis, some Alternate Univers Klingons with a D-12 Devil and some B'rels and old planetary defence systems. Not that much space combat right now. Pirats don't fight if surrounded by three Intrepids

I picked the ships due to small crew size (a Commander can command most) and as fitting in a "lower backside of the UFP" campaign.

If I am manning the oars (as an Andorian Engineer):

We went through a Deneva (what ya mean, surrender to some pirats), served on an Ambassador, aquired a B'rel (old version sleeper ship / Lost in space scenario) and ended up on a Ferengi trader during an undercover ops.

The bad beeings used some Galors, a D'direx and Romulan Scouts, a Kobayashi Maru and some Orion pirat ships. Some space combat using the bases system.

Michael

My crew is posted on an Akira class the Black Elk. I gave them this ship because my crew has a habit of being to aggresive and I wanted the series to last more than two episodes. We are on episode seven now and the Cardassians have been the chief bad guys although the Romulans made one apperence as did the Ferengi and some pirates. The crew as become more tame in thier relative old age and one of the crew is close to becoming a captain. I have planned for the Black Elk to be destroyed and once reassigned the crew will have an Excelsior class or if I decide to be cruel a Constelation Class my players despise it but I want them to rise to the occation.

The Intrepid classs U.S.S. Intrepid.

Who chose it? Me, the GM. Why? Because I liked the ship, and had always loved the name. Also I wanted a good solid, recognisable ship class. One we knew quite a bit about, and one I could rig up deckplans for (eventually). I also wanted something that wasn't TOO powerful, but could hold it's own in a fight, as well as be a good exploration type vessel. Finally, I wanted a ship that wasn't too big, and had a smallish crew. Essentially I wanted a more original series/third season TNG type feel.

As far as adversarial ships I tend to use Romulan Warbirds a lot. There's also quite a few homemade ships to go with my homemade races. And we can't forget the (very occasional) use of the Borg Sphere or scoutship.

------------------
    Captain Daniel Hunter
    CO NCC-73602, U.S.S. Intrepid
    Star Trek: Intrepid

[This message has been edited by USS Intrepid (edited 07-04-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by qerlin:
    I have to disagree with the idea that the singularity drives of the Romulans are going to cause massive navigational hazards.

Like any other system in the universe, the black hole need energy to feed it or it spins down into entropy. These are tiny buggers, remember; perhaps a meter or so for the event horizon. Yes, it will suck in anything that gets close; like the ship it was part of (I tend to see Romulan ships imploding more when they are destroyed than blowing up.)
    </font>
    I thought that a Quantum Singularity was the opposite of a Black Hole in the Trek Universe? That Matter and Energy streamed out of it.

Seems that this was also the way Species 8472 traveled in Non-Fluidic space was to open a Quantum Singularity.

A Quantum Sigularity is a Black Hole. If 8472 does open them up for travell it is probably for the creation of wormholes. (Dr. Hawkings, Among others, has postulated that a QS could warp space sufficiently to create a tunnel to another point in space, Just watch out for the QS in the center!)

Karg

The ship my PCs use is a Akira Class Heavy Cruiser called the USS Longbeach. Being the Narrator I picked the vessel myself, but I took all my PCs opinions and favorite vessels and came up with the best vessel for the job. The name was easy to come by, I was stationed on the ship before she was decommed. The Cardassians are the normal threat vessels that I use (I was a big fan of DS9), they seem to be the most overt threat to the Federation right now. Don't get me wrong though, the Romulans, rogue Klingon factions, and the occational Borg Cube ship still show up from time to time.

------------------

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!

Constitution-refit (Or as I prefer Constitution II - sorry Owen)

It was a joint decision. Although for a while the Miranda and Chandley were close in the voting.

c. In either case, why that ship? What features about it make it so appealing and/or useful?
    Familiarity and appearance.

2. What ships frequently appear in your series as adversaries? If you're the Narrator, why do you use those particular ships?
    K't'inga battlecruisers: If I can't run a Klingon campaign you can bet this ships make frequent appearances. Also the older D-7 if you must think of them as the same class.
    Winged Defenders: Well not often but when they do show up its a special episode.
    D-10 Heavy Cruisers: A FASA Klingon ship. Mainly as an alternate to the K't'inga. Heavily modified of course. LUGTrek seems to be the only game that admits that the Klingon ships maybe as powerful as the Feddies.
    Bird of Prey: The painted Romulan ship. In my campaign the Rommies are economically disadvantaged (Okay I mean poor) so they use more of the older ships than the other two. Also because one of the adversaries is a thinly disguised version of Ael of the Bloodwing.

Speaking of thinly disguised, do you get the idea that at least one person is eagerly waiting for SRM:TOS. However not being one to bite the hand that feeds him, I'll wait but not patiently.

AslanC Guest

Time for an impromptu and utterly unscientific survey.

</font>
    In the start I used a Nova class USS Farscape, to create a challenge, but eventually the challenge was too great and the poor little ship got beat up bad. So off went the Captain to a new Intrepid class named for her little Nova (she had managed to pull a Kirk/Picard like save the universe bit).

The rest of the campaign moved on to the USS Endeavour (Nebula) with the promise that some day they will get to be on a Sovereign named USS Lexington

Recently Captain Lindsay (Farscape) took command of the USS Prometheus to undertake a mission to discover the whereabouts and fate of the USS Voyager.

In the future, before the Sovie, Captain Stocker (Endeavour) and crew will hop onto the Dauntless to find the Prometheus, Voyager and Equinox.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> b. Did they pick it, or did the Narrator?</font>
    I picked them all except the Nebula, as the players could never decide, but they all agreed on that one.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> c. In either case, why that ship? What features about it make it so appealing and/or useful?</font>
    I originially chose the Nova as I wanted a small intimate crew. When the ship got badly beaten by Romulans, they were upgraded to an Intrepid, slightly bigger, but still intimate. When Capatin Lindsay's player and I agreed to move the character to a private game (way too much blue booking) we moved to the Endeavour, a much bigger ship, but it allows really big missions or intense fights that they don't have to run away froma ll the time. Still all said I miss the NOVA

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">2. What ships frequently appear in your series as adversaries? If you're the Narrator, why do you use those particular ships?</font>
    Well I use a lot of Ambassador class ships and Steamrunner's in Starfleet.

So far the enemies and aliens have been pretty much standard fare with no new classes, yet

Soon I will use the Kazon ships to represent the Tzenkethi for an upcoming storyline

------------------
    Aslan Collas
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    RPG_Trek; http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rpg-trek
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.

I really meant to reply to this but never got around to it...
    ---> 1. a. What ship(s) do the PCs in your series use?
    c. In either case, why that ship? What features about it make it so appealing and/or useful? <---

First LUG-Trek game was Galaxy-class Quetzalcoatl. They transferred in short order to her sister-ship the Icarus after a brief stint in Starfleet Intelligence. I picked Quetzalcoatl for its familiarity - it was the first RPG for most of the players and I wanted them to be comfortable. Many away missions were handled on Danube-class Runabouts, for both familiarity and isolation from the massive resources of the ship.

The dynamics with NPCs didn't go too well. The characters later wound up on Icarus. I made this one up to the players - we toyed with the idea of a Defiant, Miranda, or Ambassador, but the players liked the familiarity of the Galaxy-class. Plus Icarus' Ten-Forward was a wood-panelled traditional Irish pub. This ship worked much better. The game ended when one of the players left and gamemaster wanting to play a Star Wars game after seeing episode I.

Our second LUG-Trek game was set aboard a refit Defiant-class, U.S.S. H.G. Wells (renamed from Avenger, in the aftermath of the Dominion War. This game was designed as a miniseries, with the ship bouncing around time, space, and parallel dimensions, with a crew made up of Starfleet officers, accompanied by some surprise passengers - a group of smugglers, some Romulans, and some Klingons. I as narrator wanted a smaller ship so the crew could be memorable, especially with the tension I wanted between the separate groups forced into working together. Worked out very well. In the end one of the players who was barely familiar with DS9 at the start of the game became an obsessive fan, constantly wanting to borrow tapes with the Dominion War or Defiant featured prominently.

We played a few games aboard the Constitution-class U.S.S. Icarus, NCC-1017, concurrent with the classic TV show. The name was chosen by me as a link to our original TNG game. The class was chosen by the players - we contemplated setting it in the movies or TV show periods, and a number of ships were on the table - Miranda, Constitution were the big two. The familiarity of the classic Enterprise of the TV show was a big selling point. Plus everyone in my group loved DS9's "Trials and Tribblelations". ("Don't you know anything about the 23rd century? Command officers wore gold, operations wore red..." "And women wore less" - Dan's jaw drops as Jadzia shows off her classic uniform...)

This one was fun. It was an important ship, but the technology was so much more limited than the TNG game, forcing a lot more thinking. We'll be going back to this one, but for now...

We are in the middle of a special miniseries game set during the Dominion War, aboard a B'Rel class Bird of Prey, bortaSwI - Avenger, feel free to correct my Klingon... We came up with the concept together for a special mini-campaign. We're really enjoying the small crew, tiny accomodations, and lack of Starfleet regs.

Hmmm... I tend to avoid Starship combat as narrator - put it in the background since it doesn't seem to work too well in our games. That said, the most common ship for baddies in our game has got to be the Dominion Bug-ship. They are just so cool and so much fun to skirmish with, especially from a Defiant or B'rel.

Also featured prominently are Klingon Birds of Prey.

Why all of them? Cause everyone recognizes them. As much as I like digging up obscure ships, I find that familiarity is a priceless tool for the narrator.

------------------
    U.S.S. Icarus

The ships my characters use are usually created by me, sometimes by them, because they prefer to play non starfleet characters and there aren't spacedock stats for small civilian vessels.
    The opponents ships are also created by me because they do a lot of business with minor powers. With the exception of two campain's the player response to seeing almost any ship from an SRM would be to run.
    An SRM for the minor powers, and many have been mentioned, would be a good book for outside submission's which could then be put out as a netbook.

------------------

</font>
    My campaign centers on the Ambassador class starship, USS Discovery. It was chosen by the Narrator (me) after the previous Discovery was destroyed in action by the PCs. (It had been captured by the Romulans, so naturally they capture the Romulan ship in turn and used it to destroy the Discovery.)

As for why, at the time (which was pre-LUG Trek) the Ambassador class seemed a natural progression from an Excelsior class.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">2. What ships frequently appear in your series as adversaries? If you're the Narrator, why do you use those particular ships?</font>
    We're running in the early days of the Dominion War, so the main adversaries are Jem'Hadar and Cardassians. (One of my PCs just picked up Gul Dukat as an Enemy.)

I ran two ST campaigns (one still running). The first was a Next Generation game set in the Dominion War time. The second is a DS9 game that started 6 months after the Dominion War ended. So, here are my answers:

1a) They used a Nebula class named the USS Valkyrie (loved this name). The characters played the bridge crew, captain, first officer, and major officers (engineer, doc).
    1b) Since they are based on DS9, it's the USS Defiant. They were also given a smaller ship, the USS Talon prototype, named the USS Talon (see the Players Guide).

2a) The players and I talked about it, but I as the narrator made the final decision.
    2b) The TV show decided that. :-) I added in the Talon.

3a) Most of the enemy ships were Dominion.
    3b) At first, they encountered pirate ships, Orions, and some Dominion. Recently, they have been fighting an alien race of ships that look like the shadow ships from Babylon 5. They have also encountered the Taurhai dragon ships from the Romulan boxed set.