Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What Ships Do You Use?

I am soon to be running a TOS-Era campaign, and will be using a Mk II Constitution Class (we are using FASA rules, as we are on a retro kick at the moment!)

Cheers

Tas
    I'm NOT stupid, I'm NOT expendable and I'm NOT going!

1. a. What ship(s) do the PCs in your series use?
    b. Did they pick it, or did the Narrator?
    c. In either case, why that ship? What features about it make it so appealing and/or useful?

2. What ships frequently appear in your series as adversaries? If you're the Narrator, why do you use those particular ships?
    1a. Excelsior class, 2379 Refit
    1b. I picked it.
    1c. I've always liked the lines of the Excelsior, and I wanted the PCs to start out with something not top of the line so that when the ship goes down in a ball of fire at the end of Season Two, they'll be appreciative of the "new tech" they get as a replacement.

2. Dominion ships, Dominon member ships, and "other races" - it's set in the Gamma Quadrant 2380, and they will be exploring "south" of the Dominion under a treaty of neutrality and nonagression.
    Uruz - Alexander Skrabut - uruzrune@gmail.com

1:
    a) We use the USS Photon, first of the Photon Class
    b) The Narrator used an design from one player
    c) We searched for a small ship where the players could be the main crew despite being young. So we developed the tiny Photon Class (search this forum, it's there!)
    It is small, modular and fast.

2:
    The Photon Class is not very combat-oriented but we tricked and fled from a warbird and battled a dominion atack ship.

Hey Assassin,
    I did up the CODA stats for that "little" ship If I remeber correctly.

Originally posted by IceGiant
    Hey Assassin,
    I did up the CODA stats for that "little" ship If I remeber correctly.
    You remember correctly!

AT the Moment we wait to continue our campain and further the fame of our little ship.

I use in my fan fiction two ships- A Nebula class -USS KHE SAHN and my new ones -the USS NAVARONE & the USS LUMUMBA -Both Akira class- All the stories are set in the post Dominion War era.
    I was born in a camp on Bajor- I joined the Resistance at 12 to fight for my people and my freedom. I joined Starfleet to help KEEP that freedom. As the Prophets will it I shall not fail you, Captain.

Lt.Commander Varin Rel-Former Starfleet Special Operatons officer-now assigned to the USS LUMUMBA-NCC-78245 as CTO.

7. The ships I've run in my two campaigns are the Akira-class ship USS Kurosawa (TNG campaign) and the Constitution-class ship USS Indefagtable (sp?) (TOS campaign).
    "Would you mind not shooting at the thermonucular weapons!!!"
    -John Travolta in "Broken Arrow"

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!
    Originally posted by BouncyCaitian
    my bad.....King Herod of Judea.
    I can't believe I missed this when it was new. You mean that your USS Agrippa wasn't named after Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa, Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus Augustus' admiral?
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those
    who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante Alighieri

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

1a)
    NX-class UES Frontier NX-02 (my series isn't close to canon)
    1b)
    I gave it to the players since the are very unexperienced with Star Trek
    1c)
    It was the natural choice for a Enterprise-era campagin.

2. Vulcan and Andorian ships.
    Intrepid type ships as allies in a few episodes.
    What have we come to if you can't demand sexual favours from the people in your employ? - Quark (The Dogs of War)

1a. the Nova-class
    1b. I picked it (Narrator)
    1c. I picked the Nova because it's small, we're going to investigate the Beta Quadrant and it's more like a scientific mission and the Nova is a science vessel.
    I really liked the Sovereign but that was too big and since the Nova looks a lot like the Sovereign it's an additional reason why I chose it. And since there are deckplans of the Nova, that makes it easier to locate the PC's and the players like the deckplans a lot.

2. Since I'm going to start soon they didn't saw any ship yet, but I'm planning to introduce a ship I invented (of a race I invented), the D'Deridex class Warbird, other Romulan ships, a Hirogan Huntership.
    I want the Romulans to take part of it because I like the Romulans.
    The Hirogans are quite interesting and I read somewhere that they're also in the Beta Quadrant.
    Maybe I'm going to give them an encounter with a very small Borg vessel but I'm not certain about that.
    Jolan Tru

"Tal 'le kll'inghann." - Vartok (you look like a klingon)

Excelsior -class cruiser, with series starting in 2301; things with the Klingons are still unstable, things with the Romulans are the same as they ever were, and a lot of the TNG species have either just been contacted (e.g., Breen, Bolians, Betazoids, etc.,) or are about to be discovered. So far, there hasn't been any ship-to-ship combat involving the players, partly because I don't own the "Starships" book yet, partly b/c I'm still working out how to do such combat in a PBEM game.

Also my solution to the problem of getting the junior officer characters to have control of their destiny: they are assigned to a large, warp-capable shuttlecraft, for use when the starship is otherwise occupied with more pressing matters, and the characters are assigned a "minor" mission (ferrying diplomats, evacuating science teams, conducting secret intelligence operations, etc.) Below are the stats and a brief write-up... feel free to use as necessary.

(Incidentally, it was necessary to slightly modify the standard Excelsior base stats to accomodate an additional shuttle bay, so that it could field these larger shuttlecraft, along with the other standard issue shuttles.)

SHUTTLECRAFT

LS-52H Armed Transport
    Size/Decks: 2/1
    Length/Height/Beam: 20/4/5
    Crew: 3 flight crew: helm/navigation, weapons/defense (these two positions both face forward, and the two can both be handled by one person in an emergency), and sensors/communication, and 1 cargo/transporter chief + 50 passengers OR 35 fully-equipped combat troops OR 1 cargo unit. Large aft cargo doors mean airdrops can be made; airlock for EVA in vacuum/hostile environments.

TACTICAL DATA
    Phasers: Type II Phasers (x2/A)
    Penetration: 2/2/2/0/0
    Deflector Shield: CIDSS-2(C)
    Protection/Threshold: 14/4

PROPULSION DATA
    Impulse: RSM (.75c) (D)
    Warp: LN-64 mod3 (7/9/12) (D)

OPERATIONAL DATA
    Atmosphere Capable: YES
    Cargo Units: 2 (if no passengers
    Life Support: Class 1(B)
    Operations System: Class 3 (D)
    Sensor System: Class 1 (+1/B)
    Separation: NO
    Shuttlebay: NO
    Shuttlecraft: NO
    Tractor Beams: NO
    Transporters: 1 std, 1 person only, located in recessed alcove near flight deck.

MISC

Maneuver Modifiers: -1C, +1H, -1T
    Traits: NO

NOTES: The LS (Landing Ship) 52 was constructed by National Astronautics, Inc., on contract to Starfleet in 2254. During the Axanari Conflict of the 2240s, it had become apparent that troops beaming in to a hostile area were vulnerable to fire while materializing. The Admiralty estimated that 65% of the casualties occurred while troops were beaming in. Infantry landing doctrine was thus shifted from extensive use of transporters to an emphasis on an atmospheric landing (either via shuttle or parachute insertion) to secure a "space-head", supplemented by follow-on forces either shuttled or beamed in. The LS-52 was created to meet this new mission profile.

Despite a 30-year-old design, the 52 has proven very reliable under countless harsh operating conditions over the years. It is considered the workhorse of the "blue sky" fleet: it carries a significant number of cargo or passengers, can carry them long distances at high rates of speed, thanks to its recently-refitted LN-64 Warp Drive. The interiors remain outdated, and so orange seat cushions, bulky consoles, and, generally, poor ergonomics are the norm in the ship. Nevertheless, it is the only ship in the fleet capable of landing an entire platoon of troops in a small field under fire, provide limited cover fire for those troops, and to extract wounded troops using its one-pad transporter.

Thanks to the success of the 52 with Starfleet, National Astronautics began manufacturing the ship for export. Most planetary Defense Forces within the Federation use the ship as their prime long-distance atmosphere-capable cargo carrier. A variant called the NA-1152 ("eleven-fifty-two") is sold without armament (but with sensors and shields) for civilian purchasers.

In addition to the 1152 civilian variant, National Astronautics manufactures numerous military option packages: LS-52, 52A, 52B, 52C, 52D, 52E, 52F, 52G and 52H. The 52H is the most advanced ship (and also the most expensive,) designed in 2290 and equipped with the LN-64 Warp Drive. Other variants have other packages of weapons and shields based on economics, mission profile, and age. (The 52A, for example, was built exclusively for the Andorian Defense Force in the 2270s, and is equipped with photon torpedoes instead of phasers, with a trade-off in reduced operations and life support effectiveness).

The last 52H was constructed in 2298. Although the fleet has no plans to procure additional craft (selection of a replacement for the 52H is currently under consideration by the Fleet Special Projects Committee, headed by R/ADM Rittenhour,) spare parts are plentiful, and National Astronautics continues to produce the NA-1152 for civilian markets as of 2301.

Concerning missions, it would be possible for corporations, merchants, smugglers, pirates, terrorists, guerilla groups, hostile powers, or even private (wealthy) individuals to purchase (legally) the civilian NA-1152 (or, illegally purchase/steal/hijack a military variant.) Given the popularity of design and availability of OE non-OEM parts, modifications of the ship are the norm, not the exception when the '52 is in private hands.

Quote Originally Posted by J T

My PCs are a Section 31 Trouble Shooting Team. Every adventure they have a new ID and a new posting. Sometimes they aren’t even Starfleet. However since Peter David suggested that Admiral Nechyev was head of Section 31 the PCs are occasionally bailed out by the Admiral’s Flagship, the USS Gorkon
    I have read the entire New Frontier Series up to this point, but this fact I must have missed! When did Peter David say (OK suggested) tthat Nechayev is the head of Section 31? Which novel?!

USS Atlantis

In my Star Trek: Atlantis campaign we started off with my CODA version of the LUGTrek Niagara class fast cruiser (Stats can be seen here: http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...46#post150746). When my players behave and become a little more advanced (and manage to get their ship destroyed!) I will assign them to an Intrepid class explorer...

We are still using the same ship in our group that i created for the game last year. A Hawkeye-class Science Vessel it is posted on this page.

http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread.php?t=11286

Once we got out of space dock we began exploring the farthest reaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Long
    Time for an impromptu and utterly unscientific survey.

b. Did they pick it, or did the Narrator?
    c. In either case, why that ship? What features about it make it so appealing and/or useful?

2. What ships frequently appear in your series as adversaries? If you're the Narrator, why do you use those particular ships?

Steve Long
    1) The party I have is romulan. The ship is a T'rasus-class light starbird (from the Way of D'era box set). I picked it.

What made it appealling was the fact that it was powerful, but balanced for the players.

2) The types of ships that appear in the game is mostly romulan. This campaign is a political campaign. But there have been a few Federation and klingon ships as well.