Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Next? -- Vote For Future SRMs

Cool

Steve, due to your superlative work on Spacedock and Starfleet ships vol 1 I would suggest in my humble opinion.

SRM: Starbases

And here is a handy suggestion for you Yanks, knock down the statue of Liberty and built a HUGE one of Steve, the man is a GOD!!!!!!

well the ensigns are supposed to toady to the seinior officers right

[This message has been edited by Yandar (edited 07-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Yandar (edited 07-30-2001).]

Talking

I must agree with Identity Crisis

In descending order of preference:
    1. Civilian
    2. Starbases and Space Stations
    3. Miscellaneous Species

Keep up the good work.

------------------
    Just remember, even though it’s a vacuum,
    In space no one can hear you Clean.
    -J.T.

I'd sayyy... Stations & Starbases, first and foremost.
    Second, Miscellaneous Species
    Third, Civilian.

I can see that starbases are getting very popular but I would have to say this.

1 - civilian
    2 - misc.
    3 - OK, starbases

What can I say, my players like being the non-starfleet types.

------------------

I'd like to see:

1) Stations
    2) Miscellaneous
    3) Civilian

But in a perfect world, the first one made would have stats for the Jem'Hadar Battleship from Valiant.

I realize an SRM: Gamma Quadrant book is about the last thing on the horizon, but could you humor a big Dominion fan and slide out some stats for that monster?

-Darth Charming

Not asking for any secrets to revealed, but can you give a round number on the ships in the Romulan SRM. I await the release eagerly.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

[b]1. SRM: Starbases and Space Stations -- this book would provide additional or revised Spacedock rules for creating space stations, starbases, all that sort of thing, along with Templates for a bunch of stations written up using said rules. At present, this is probably the project that interests me the most, so it's got a bit of an advantage.

This one!!!!!

Smile

I was talking about for example I believe all Explorers must be saucer/ engineering hull/ nacelles, while other types can be romulanish, oberthish, mirandaish, defiantish, etc. Also give guidelines for stats for various types.

------------------
    Games. The Final Product. These are the books of the Star Trek RPG. Their five year license. To explore strange new roles. To breathe new life into get togethers. To boldly play what no fan has played before!

Wink

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Phoenix:

Also wouldn't Ferengi and Civilians fall in to the SRM: Misc. Species?
    </font>
    Shhhh...No the Ferengi don't fall under Misc. They need their own ebook

Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve Long:
    Well, it's that time again, folx -- time to voice your opinion on what SRMs you're most interested in having me work on.</font>
    I'm honored that you asked.
    I'm glad to hear about all four that are on their way. Each is one I eagerly await.

Since, of course, I want everything, I'll list my preferred order for the ones you suggested.

1. SRM: Starbases and Space Stations -- I need this. I lust after it like nothing since High school.
    Seriously, I think I have enough ships for now, and I crave data on this oft-neglected aspect of the universe.

2. SRM: Civilian -- This fits well into the kind of campaign I intend to run. It also might be worth taking a second look at your Cargo rules. They're fine for Starfleet ships, but to a freighter, exactly how big the hold is is an important question. I could do a whole post of my comments on this (and perhaps I will).

3. SRM: Ships of the Gamma Quadrant -- Mainly looking for the Miscelanious and/or civilian ships, myself. Sadly, I must wait.

4. SRM: Ships of the Delta Quadrant -- see above.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Would require a lot of research (basically, I'd have to re-watch the entire series, a lengthy and painful process). Thus, it would take a long time to finish.</font>
    Any way some of that job could be farmed out? A few trusted fans divide up the episodes and take detailed notes?

5. SRM: Miscellaneous Species -- Gotta cover everybody.

6. SRM: Ships of Starfleet, Vol. 2 -- Of course I want all the Starfleet ships.

7. SRM: Ferengi -- Not particularly hot to see detailed write-ups of the few ships we've seen, and even less interested in new ships without illustrations.

8. SRM: Borg -- Sorry, but one enormous cube was plenty for me.

------------------
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve Long:
    1. SRM: Starbases and Space Stations -- this book would provide additional or revised Spacedock rules for creating space stations,</font>
    I'll vote for the above.

Well, so far it looks like Space Stations and Starbases is in the lead. But the voting remains open!

Herewith, answers to a few questions:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Also wouldn't Ferengi and Civilians fall in to the SRM: Misc. Species?</font>
    No. I listed them separately because I think they deserve separate books. Otherwise, the SRM: Miscellaneous gets so big that it becomes unmanageable (and possibly also downloadable for those with d/l limitations).

The typical SRM has 25-30 ships (Vol. 1 and the TOS volume are exceptions for specific reasons). That allows me to cover, oh, 8-10 species at about three ships apiece, or a dozen species at about two ships apiece. Tacking the Ferengi on there, and all the civilian ships, would make the SRM: Miscellaneous just too big. I can easily get 25-30 "civilian" ships -- I already have notes on seven Orion Syndicate ships as it is.

Moreover, I think that the Ferengi, as a major species in the setting, definitely deserve their own SRM. It might be a little smaller than the others, but it should still stand on its own.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">and do the Borg really need their own book to cover all 6 ships (Cube, Tactical Cube, Sphere, Probe, Scout, and Queen's Diamond" considering a good part of their tech was covered in Space Dock?</font>
    I think they do, for a couple reasons. One, we've seen several other canonical or semi-canonical Borg ships. Two, we've heard a great deal about their ship technology. As with the Ferengi book, I think a Borg ship book deserves to stand on its own. Third, as with the Cardassian and Klingon SRMs, I may present revised rules for some of that Borg tech to take into account specific differentiations that weren't worth noting in a "survey" volume like Spacedock.

Arguably you could put the Borg stuff in the SRM: Delta Quadrant. However, due to the huge number of ships that book is otherwise going to have, splitting out this highly identifiable sub-group of ships makes sense, logistically.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Darth Charming</font>
    Now this definitely wins my vote for "Neatest Handle I've Seen In A Long Time."

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Not asking for any secrets to revealed, but can you give a round number on the ships in the Romulan SRM. I await the release eagerly.</font>
    The SRM: Romulans has 27 ships -- 21 Romulan military vessels, two Romulan civilian ships, and four allied or threat vessels. At least at present -- I can't vouch for what changes may occur after testreading. I might, for example, choose to save one of the civilian ships -- a generic Romulan merchant ship -- for the SRM: Civilian.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Any way some of that job could be farmed out? A few trusted fans divide up the episodes and take detailed notes?</font>
    No, I'd really rather not do that. For better or worse, I prefer to take my own notes. I learn more that way, for one thing. I don't feel comfortable working from other peoples' notes, generally. Nor do I want to get into the viper's nest of deciding who's "trustworthy" and who's not.

Steve Long

Steve,

Go for the Starbases.

~LL

------------------
    "Resistance is futile...say baby that is a nice tight skirt you have on." --President Clinton of Borg.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/The_13th_Fleet_Starfleet_Academy
    http://www.haz-matt.com/13thfleet/

Wink

Tke borg SRM definately needs cubes, tetrahedron, octahedrons, decahedrons, dodecahedrons, and icosohedrons. And discs.

------------------
    Games. The Final Product. These are the books of the Star Trek RPG. Their five year license. To explore strange new roles. To breathe new life into get togethers. To boldly play what no fan has played before!

Civilian ships!

Way too often neglected in the official Treknoverse, IMHO.

Next would have to be space stations, followed by other Federation ships.

Say, when can we expect to see those original series ships, anyway?