Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Next? -- Vote For Future SRMs

Post What Next? -- Vote For Future SRMs

Well, it's that time again, folx -- time to voice your opinion on what SRMs you're most interested in having me work on.

At present, the SRM: Cardassians and SRM: Klingons are being laid out; the SRM: TOS Era is in testreading; and the SRM: Romulans is just a whisker away from being finished (and, yes, I'll announce testreading at the appropriate time). Now, for various personal, professional, and other reasons, you may not see any of these books for a while (perhaps months, or longer). But they are, more or less, done, so it's time to move on to something else.

Again, for various personal and professional reasons, I can't predict how much time I may have to work on ship books in the near future. I may end up with lots of time to tinker with ship writeups. OTOH, I may go weeks or months and not write up a single one. But to the extent I have both time and interest to work on more SRMs, I figure I should at least give y'all the chance to say which ones are of most interest to you.

The following are all "on my list" of books to do eventually. This list is by no means exclusive, so if I've left off something you'd like to see, say so and we'll throw it on the ballot.

1. SRM: Starbases and Space Stations -- this book would provide additional or revised Spacedock rules for creating space stations, starbases, all that sort of thing, along with Templates for a bunch of stations written up using said rules. At present, this is probably the project that interests me the most, so it's got a bit of an advantage.

2. SRM: Miscellaneous Species -- ships of the Bajorans, Gorn, Tholians, Son'a, Xepolites, Sheliak, Tzenkethi, Boslics, and so on.

3. SRM: Civilian -- merchant ships, law enforcement and security ships, pirate and rogue ships, ships of the Orion Syndicate, and so on. It would cover many species, not just the Federation.

4. SRM: Ferengi -- ships of the Ferengi Alliance, mostly mercantile-oriented, but with a few surprises here and there.

5. SRM: Borg -- cubes, spheres, diamonds, ovoids, Klein bottles -- everything that's big, geometric, ass-kickingly powerful, and assimilative.

6. SRM: Ships of the Delta Quadrant -- everything seen on ST: Voyager and not covered elsewhere. Would require a lot of research (basically, I'd have to re-watch the entire series, a lengthy and painful process). Thus, it would take a long time to finish.

7. SRM: Ships of the Gamma Quadrant -- All the Dominion ships you've not yet seen, plus other GQ goodies. Since there's no sourcebook on the GQ, this one is an outside possibility; I'd virtually have to write up a GQ sourcebook to go with it, and I don't wanna. This one makes more sense after DecipherTrek has covered the region in some detail.

8. SRM: Ships of Starfleet, Vol. 2 -- all the Fed starships you haven't seen yet.

So, what interests you the most?

You may vote once; multiple votes will be ignored. For that matter, all votes may be ignored; this isn't a binding referendum, just an opinion poll. I may end up doing whatever I want regardless of how the vote goes.

As with the last round o' voting, I will, through random methods known only to myself, choose one voter and feature him or her (well, him, really; who'm I kidding?) as a character somewhere in the book.

So, let me know what you think!

Steve Long
    Man Who Writes Up Many Starships

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve Long:
    1. SRM: Starbases and Space Stations -- this book would provide additional or revised Spacedock rules for creating space stations, starbases, all that sort of thing, along with Templates for a bunch of stations written up using said rules. At present, this is probably the project that interests me the most, so it's got a bit of an advantage. </font>
    I agree with you on this one. Starbases are far to often overlooked by most games. Remerber the Laamo station from the FASA SRM? I would love to have know more about this station, but alas other than one supplement on the Regula station, we didn't get much else

I cast my vote for the Starbases Maybe you could get some of the 3D Galdiators to make kick a$$ images for you of different station types

------------------
    Captain Zymmer
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Visit Star Trek:Strange New Worlds at;
    http://www.geocities.com/aslan_collas
    =-=-=-=-=-=

Talking

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve Long:
    6. SRM: Ships of the Delta Quadrant -- everything seen on ST: Voyager and not covered elsewhere. Would require a lot of research (basically, I'd have to re-watch the entire series, a lengthy and painful process). Thus, it would take a long time to finish.</font>
    Hey, I heard that!

What, like I enjoyed every minute of it?

(I think Stations is the obvious next choice for an SRM.)

------------------

Hey, Steve -

I've never gotten to weigh-in for one of these so early; wow!

I would have to say that I would like to see Starbases and Space Stations followed by the SRM: Borg.

Man, I'm salivating already.

Robert

[This message has been edited by Roxby (edited 07-29-2001).]

Perrryyy Guest

Thumbs up

First choice: starbases (a given). Make sure that you include rules for the various types (ie, MEDICAL.. hint hint) as well as others.

Second choice: Miscellaneous (Elaysians, anyone?)

Third choice: Civilians
    Honorable mentions: Gamma & Delta quadrant.

And this is coming from someone who focuses more on WHAT he's playing, as opposed to WHERE.

------------------
    Impossibilities are merely things which we have not yet learned. — Charles W. Chesnutt

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy

I would have to say that I would like to see the Starbases and space stations. Everything from K-7, the old NZ outposts (which were built into asteroids if I remember correctly), to Spacedock. Some original starbases would be nice. I think the ones from Starfleet Battles (yes I do play the game, it just took forever to read the whole rulebook) or Starfleet Command would be great. The three basic types of bases were starbases, space stations, battle stations. Throw in the research facilities, or just replace weapons systems with labs and you're done. You could create the generic bases, the only real difference being the heavy weapons (torps and such). Can you imagine a starbase with its own cloaking device?

------------------
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!"

Ok, I'm going to be the odd man and say;
    1.SRM: Ferengi (I just like Ferengi too much to not make them #1^_^)
    2.SRM: Starbases

Keeper Guest

Must throw my vote in for Starbases and Space Stations!

------------------
    Man is to man a god when he recognizes his duty.

Starbases!
    Starbases!
    Starbases!

I'll even bribe you with a copy of my Spacedock rules using Deep Space 11 design to poke fun at and holes in if you like!

Peace

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I would have to say that I would like to see the Starbases and space stations. Everything from K-7, the old NZ outposts (which were built into asteroids if I remember correctly), to Spacedock.</font>
    Just to clarify: an SRM: Space Stations would probably only cover 24th century stations. TOS-era stations, like K-7, would probably require a separate book, just as TOS-era ships did.

Steve Long

Cool

I vote: #2: Miscellaneous Species (including Ferengi & Borg)

Shouldn't there be a Borg Decahedron? This is an RPG, afterall!

I'm not voting for it, but Starfleet Volume 2 should include rules on what type of ship has what choices of configuration. Maybe include 29th century ships.

------------------
    Games. The Final Product. These are the books of the Star Trek RPG. Their five year license. To explore strange new roles. To breathe new life into get togethers. To boldly play what no fan has played before!

Space Stations. In my humble Opinion, I think by doing the Space Stations book you just make the overall Spacedock system complete. It would then become possible to use the rules to use the DWS for Operation Return for example.

I'm going SRM: Spacedock...

Must all that subliminal advertising that Steve put in the original message...

Cloesly followed, by the Borg, Ferengi, Misc, and the ships of the Gamma Quadrant...

Hey I know you said it was an outside possibility, but if you gotta write a Gamma Quadrant sourcebook, guess I gotta read it!!!

Lets face it, I am looking forward to them all...

------------------
    DanG.

"Hi, I'm Commander Troy McClure, you might remember me from other academy training holo-simulations as, Abandon Ship, the quickest way out, and I sense danger, 101 things you dont need a Betazoid to know..."

http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.uk

Wink

I vote for the Civilian SRM (and from the recent survey you took it seems to me that several people use pirates and raiders as opponents in their games - maybe not a bad idea to have an SRM for those).
    Second place would go to SRM:Misc.

The Spacestation book sounds like a good idea as well, but for this I would love to see a book that has less focus on the technical aspects than the usual SRMs and a bit more about life on a space station from the roleplaying perspective.

Maybe that doesn't fit your concept of an SRM too well, but I think it could be usefull for those of us who want to play on a station and not just shoot at it

------------------
    "To seek, to strive, to find and not to yield" - Alfred Tennyson