Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another campaign idea.

Lightbulb Another campaign idea.

Captains Log, Stardate 44093.7

"The USS Boadicea has picked up a distress call from the Deep Space K-10 science station and we are responding to the incident".

The PC's arrive to find that the stations crew has been wiped out and the station itself has suffered lots of damage. The crew then discover on the local planets surface (the last known location of a research team) an Iconian gateway. This leads to the opposite side of the galaxy/Federation space.

It appears that a hostile alien race attacked the station when one of the scientists opened the gateway and travelled the huge distance to the alien homeworld.

Any further ideas? Are Iconian gateways used for time travelling or "galaxy-hopping"? The science station orbits a recently discovered Iconian city underground. The planets surface is like that of (old) Mars, thus requiring EVA suits.

Granted we've only seen two instances of Iconian gateways (one in TNG, one in DS9), but they seem to have been used only for teleportation through space, not time.

Of course, my Wells game dropped a lot of hints that the Iconians were indeed capable of time travel, but Paramount has yet to contact me about producing a tv show based off of it...

Dunno 'bout that, Dan. One of the scense shown in the gate in the TNG episode was a shot of Nathan Philips Square and Toronto City Hall. It looked pretty late-20th-century to me. Maybe they though it looked futuristic, though, but it's a handle...

Of course, the neat thing with the Iconians is so little has been detailed about them and it's unlikely that they will feature prominently in another series, allowing narrators free reign...

(Watch, series five will be revealed to be a seven-season long saga centered around the Iconians...)

Lightbulb

Was there ever any evidence that the gateway in 'Times Orphan' was Iconian ion nature? If so there is evidence of time travelling portals...

Lightbulb

At the moment I am thinking that the gateways are mostly for space travel with only one "known" portal for time. This gate will probably have a large Starfleet facility near it to keep everyone away.

The plan is for first contact to be made and if the PC's do well then the aliens become friendly with the Federation, with trading becoming common through the initial portal. A wormhole will be discovered in the near campaign future that will go to the alien home system(s), allowing space travel.

Raiders then begin to attack both Federation/alien shipping and this sparks a war when the aliens accuse Starfleet of attacking their ships for the aliens' technology, as they don't want to share until they can truse humanoids. I think the aliens will be like spiders, good for those with a certain phobia

Originally posted by afraser:
    A wormhole will be discovered in the near campaign future that will go to the alien home system(s), allowing space travel.
    Why not a really large, spaceborne Iconian Gateway for ships to fly through? Just a thought, given that the whole Wormhole thing has been done

Also, afraser, you should consider watching Stargate SG-1 for inspiration...

Robert

Thumbs up

I like the idea of SG-1 meets Star Trek, I was for a moment taken back to the TOS episode "Who Mourns for Adonis". Instead we have an Egyptian theme with some teeth. The invasion could be local until a pyramid ship arrives and some good old starship combat starts. Looks like I will have to get the notebook out and start jotting ideas down...

Ronin84

Instead of SG-1 how about B5
    A huge jumpgate that is actually a iconian gateway, convienately hidden in a nearbye nebula

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Lightbulb

I was toying with the idea of a giant Iconian gateway in space but canon wormhole-data is easier to find. I reckon that if I have the gateway inside a "dark nebula", then this would work as to explain why it wasn't found before I could say that the nebulae affected space travel, hence general avoidance of said stellar object.

Lightbulb

More details on the aliens:

The aliens will be based on a giant spider-like people causing fear on sight to those suffering arachnophobia. This could be a cause for the raiders striking the alien merchant ships in the near future.

I could still have the Egyptian society with a god-like emperor and his minions, although why the Federation would put up with this is a mystery. Maybe I shouldn't have slavery on the alien culture list?

Lightbulb

The aliens will be called the "Narea", after the Kiribati spider-god Nareau (creator of the universe & Earth). I have no idea who the Kiribati are as I found the information on the Encyclopedia Mythica web site.

http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications...k/geos/kr.html

The Kiribati people are from the Gilbert Islands near the Equator. This is just southeast of the Marshall Islands, and pretty far south in the North Pacific.

Originally posted by afraser:
    More details on the aliens:

The aliens will be based on a giant spider-like people causing fear on sight to those suffering arachnophobia. This could be a cause for the raiders striking the alien merchant ships in the near future.

I could still have the Egyptian society with a god-like emperor and his minions, although why the Federation would put up with this is a mystery. Maybe I shouldn't have slavery on the alien culture list?
    I have an idea for their name. Drider.

------------------
    "Resistance is futile...say baby that is a nice tight skirt you have on." --President Clinton of Borg.

Oh and they could worship some foul dark goddess, who looks like a big spider with a woman's head.

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator