Thread: To hit tests

Unhappy To hit tests

Ive just looked through the core book and spacedock again but I still dont understand the basic 'to hit' tests in starship combat. It says based on distances and the type of weapon used. Is there a table anywhere that has base difficulties based on distance?

Thanking you,

Panic

First off, in case you're not clear on this point, don't forget that SPACEDOCK doesn't include all the rules of the ICON System -- those you have to get from one of Last Unicorn's core rulebooks. That may be causing some of your confusion.

Otherwise, here's how it works. Take a look at the phasers section in the construction chapter. That's got "auto-phaser interlock" targeting systems. Each one lists four numbers in a row, each separated by a slash. Those numbers represent the Target Number to hit targets at Point Blank, Short, Medium, and Long ranges, respectively.

The range categories for each weapon are listed with that weapon (sometimes in the construction chapter, sometimes the combat chapter, sometimes both). For example, for beam weapons the range categories are 10/30,000/100,000/300,000 km. So, to hit a target at 90,000 km with a phaser with a Class Beta targeting system requires a TN of 7.

Clear now? If not, please ask some follow-ups and I will try to explain better.

Steve Long

Thumbs up

ahhh i see. Thanks for clearing that up. I understand now. So, to hit a target at 250,000 km with a phaser with a Class Beta targeting system requires a TN of 10?

Bingo!

Steve Long