Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Akira vs. D'Deridex rematch

Post Akira vs. D'Deridex rematch

I was thinking of doing another battle with the Akira vs. D'Deridex. We can apply what was learned in the last battle, and see how changes of command affect the battle.

I'm taking the D'Deridex again, Scott wants the Vangaurd or another Starfleet position.

Anyone interested in GMing or playing?

It would be interesting to see round 2 wouldn't it

------------------
    SIRSIG
    AKA: SirPostalot
    AKA: The MapMaker
    AKA: The Trek Cartographer
    AKA:...Well I could keep going forever

Cool

Having been the person who ran the first match, I'm in a good position to know what to do and what not to do. Perhaps a new GM would benefit from a couple of points.

We had way too many ships and way too many people with way too much time between moves.
    Unlike the Wolf 359 game, AvsD involved PC's on both sides with the GM turning into a referee rather than a game master.
    Throughout the game, a number of players refused to read/learn the Spacedock rules, relying on the GM to figure out what they meant with loosely worded orders.

In turn, the GM loosely interpreted the orders to suit the action as it developed, sometimes the detriment of one side or the other, being forced to treat the game more as a roleplaying situation than a tactical battle- BUT he forced this on himself by coming up with an elaborate roleplaying reason for the battle in the first place.

The moral of this? The game needs to be limited and balanced.

The setup (ie. the 'roleplaying' aspects) need to be minimized during the game itself (aside from those wonderful communications and captain's logs).

The players need to stick as closely as possible to a set schedule of orders and replying to orders.

The GM needs the discipline to plow on through when the players don't send orders on time.

And, last but not least, the players and GM need to read Spacedock and the SRM1, decide on what rules will be valid, and then stick to them!

Sorry for the long diatribe here, but I hope you will get an inkling of why I'm not really eager to do this again for a while.

------------------
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

Lightbulb

I know, I know! How 'bout this as an opener? O.k we open with the arrival of the USS Enterprise-E at the ST:First Contact battle. We have go through maybe half the battle; then J-LP awakes, startled in his quarters. He sits a moment, then put his hands to his face trying to forget the images. But he looks up. . .the shower is on in the next room. He creeps into the room and. . .well to make a long story short J-LP walks in on Q in the shower, who informs our Captain that it was all a terrible dream; and that those damn "ship" made for ST:First Contact don't exist!

My two cents for making play easier:

1. Put as many ships as possible under one player. I think I can handle the two Theta's and the warbird.

2. For an easy roleplaying reason for the battle make it what it is. A joint exercise between Romulan/Federation forces.

(Ignore Redwood, he's just a passing figment of our collective imagination.)

Now you're talking! This sounds good, Pesterfield. By keeping the number of players down to around 2-4, the game will be immensely easier on the GM. An exercise between the two 'allies' would be a good excuse for the combat (although I suspect that neither side is going to be willing to reveal new stuff to the other).

With these constraints in mind, does anyone out there want to GM? Maybe if we promised something...

------------------

Hey Guys! FMR USS Vanguard CAG here. Nice to see you all are doing well.

About the fact that we had almost a dozen people at out peak, and no less then 5 people at any given time, I can so understand where you're coming from.

I GM a group of 6 (when all are present) and it's not an easy task to calculate all those moves and what not. But are we sure that this is the game we want to have, I mean we had fun, definatly, but how about we test some of the other newer designs out . . . like how about the Prometheous against the Romulans (an oddly reaccuring enemy) against the Nebula and the two Defiants . . . now that I think would be interesting . . .

The scenario would involve 5 people and the GM. The stats are out for all the aformention vessels . . . and we could see what would happen if they really did have to fight it out. Esp the Fed v Fed combat

------------------
    "Your job is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -Patton

"Like my father said, never start a fight, but always be sure to finish it."

-CAPT Sheridon, B5

"Know you enemy and know yourself and you will be victorious."

-CMDR Riker quoting The Art of War

Cool

Hi JALU! What you suggest isn't a bad idea. There are a lot of people who consider the Prometheus to be just an over-elaborate, complicated gimmick ship with no real application in combat. It would be interesting to see if the Prometheus was usefull in any sort of battle. I would suggest putting the Prometheus up against a wing of Jem'Hadar Assault Ships or a Jem'Hadar Battlecruiser. In such a combat, I would think that the Prometheus carries its own 'wingmen', but I could be mistaken...

If you're interested in GM'ing a battle between the USS Prometheus and a Romulan D'Deridex, a Jem'Hadar Assault Wing (3 Assault ships), or a Jem'Hadar Battlecruiser, let me know. I'd be interested in piloting the Prometheus- just to see what it can do.

------------------

Wink

Of course- I consider the Akira class to be the best all-around combat ship in Starfleet, even better than a Sovereign. It might be interesting to take an Akira and twelve fighters up against a Prometheus...

------------------

Those are some good ideas, and I do think Prometheus is a gimmick. Just three ships with a special docking clamp, why even bother?

I chose the warbird/akira battle because I had some new ideas, also I liked playing Seylar. She's currently making a guest appearance in my groups TNG game.

Wink

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cmdr Powers:
    (Ignore Redwood, he's just a passing figment of our collective imagination.)
    </font>
    Oh wow! I've gone up in the world! People at work say I just passing through their. . .well, I better not say; but I work at a hospital.

About the Prometheous . . . in concept it is a good ship, but in practice it does have it's flaws . . . the docking for one thing, the three part warp core . . . what if one section got blown away . . . all this would make for difficult upkeep in the field.

But she is actually one ship, and the other two sections, where controlled by computer, even though they would have crew in them during and actual situation . . . so I guess you can have three captains.

But yah v Dominion (the target enemy for the design) would be a very good thing.

Posting so this string won't dissapear . . . is there still interest here. If there is, I would like to inform you all, I won't be able to do anything until after 18AUG01, I will be going to FL for a weeding.

Well, JALU, I hope you don't get 'weeded' out!

Don't worry, we'll come up with some sort of compromise.

------------------

How 'bout 'Akira & D'Deridex vs. Dominion Wing'?