Thread: Testreaders Needed For SRM: ROMULANS

Post Testreaders Needed For SRM: ROMULANS

OK, folx, here’s what you’ve been waiting for – it’s time to recruit testreaders for another Ship Recognition Manual! In this case, it’s the SRM: Romulans.

If you’re interested in getting involved, here’s the process – it’s similar to past testreadings for the most part, but contains some important differences. So, read carefully.

First and most importantly, this is the first testread where you get to evaluate the format of the manuscript as well the content. Chris Huth, ace layout guy, decided for funsies to go ahead and lay the draft manuscript out, to save himself work later. So, you get to see it virtually as everyone will when it's in final form. The downside, of course, is that it's a big PDF file (9.83 MB), and I can't chop it into pieces. Unless someone can help me compress it, you have to be able to accept the whole file.

Second, you can only sign up to testread by sending me a private e-mail (to SteveL1979@aol.com, or use the link with this post) headed “SRM: Romulans Testreading” and asking to be let in. Posting a note here asking to participate doesn’t work.

Third, I’m only going to take about 20-30 testreaders, so first come, first served. This hasn’t been a problem in the past, but you never know. If necessary I’ll extend some preference to people who have testread constructively for me in the past.

Fourth, there are some prerequisites for testreaders. I want to avoid problems that have occurred previously. So, please be sure you satisfy the following requirements before signing up:

1. I (or someone else involved with the process) will create a yahoogroups (or other type of) mailing list, to which you will automatically be subscribed or be sent a message asking you to subscribe. If you don’t want to be on a mailing list, or have trouble accepting mails from mailing lists, don’t sign up to testread. I reserve the right to eject unconstructive participants from the group.

2. You must be able to check your e-mail on a regular basis (preferably at least daily). The group will communicate via e-mail and send me reports by e-mail, and I want everyone to be involved.

3. You must be familiar with the Spacedock rules. By this I mean you should have a copy of the manuscript, you should have read through it, and you should have at least tried to design a couple of ships on your own. I don’t want to have to explain any rules or concepts to anyone.

4. You need to have some perspective. I am not a slavering Romulans fan; I'm not going to make 'em the grand ass-kickers of the galaxy. If you disagree, that’s cool; in fact, I want to have hard-core Rommie fans participating! But I’m not going to re-write every rule just to make the big green ships cooler or what have you.

5. You need to be able to work constructively with the group. This means several things.

First, leave your rudeness and sarcasm at the door. It’s not difficult to express differences of opinion, or questions about the manuscript, in a polite and constructive manner. If you can’t talk nicely with the rest of us, I’ll remove you from the mailing list and the testread.

Second, I don’t want to get involved in any flame wars or nonconstructive arguments. I want to have some awesome and constructive discussions, definitely! But pointless bickering does none of us any good.

Third, if I say, in effect, “OK, that’s it, let’s move on, I’ve got enough on this topic, thankyewvedymuch,” stop talking about that subject. I want to hear the testreaders’ frank opinions, ranging from “This is great!” to “Why did you do this, it makes no sense to me.” But ultimately a lot of these issues come down to differences of opinion. If you fail to convince me after taking a good stab at it, my opinion takes precedence – that’s the cool thing about being the author. Continuing to try to convince me after I’ve heard all the points and made up my mind is just a waste of time. As always, you’ll be free to change things to suit yourself in your own game.

6. You need to be able to read the manuscript and comment on it. I understand that sometimes real life issues come up unexpectedly and prevent you from doing something you want to and promised to – believe me, I understand, and I sympathize! But if you have a reasonable suspicion that real life issues may interfere with your involvement with the project, it’s better for both of us not to get started with it in the first place. Fortunately, there’ll be a long deadline – see below – which will help things on this front.

7. You need to be able to read the PDF I will e-mail to you individually.

So, do you think you can live with those requirements? Still want to get involved? Then I’d love to have your input!
    “But, Steve!” you exclaim. “This sounds like a lot of work – readin’ pages and checkin’ math and stuff. What do I get for helping you out this way and sacrificing my valuable time?”

Glad you asked. All participants who participate fully get three things:
    1. My eternal gratitude.
    2. A mention in the “Special Thanks” section of the book.
    3. One of the coveted Pink Elephant Awards! Accept no substitutes; this is the genuine magilla. Previous recipients of the PE are eligible for additional PEs.
    People who go above and beyond the call, for example by checking the math in all the Starship Templates during stage two, may qualify for additional rewards, up to and including the Exalted Pink Elephant of Merit Award.

The deadline for signing up to testread is Wednesday, October 3. That's one week from today. After I've got all my volunteers, we'll discuss the deadline for the work, and so forth.

So, there you have it. Any questions or thoughts? If so, please feel free to drop me a line via e-mail or post a note here.

Steve Long

Care to tell us anything about the ships included? how many? do all the designs fit the standard from D'Era? Do we get pictures for any of the "additional" SRMs?

------------------
    Games... The... Final Product. These... are the books... of the Star... Trek RPG. Their five... year license. To explore... strange... new roles. To breathe... new... life into get... togethers. To bold... ly play what no... fan... has played... be... fore!

IIRC, in the first draft there are 27 ships in the SRM: Romulans, including Spacedock writeups of all the ships featured in Way of D'era. None of them are pictured.

Steve Long

Hmmm a SD version of the Verserus Dreadnaught, count me in

Back a whiles I did a rough upgrade to the Verserus to represent a state of the art 'super dreadnaught protype'. It will be interesting to see just how right and wrong I got it

------------------
    Thats Cpt SIR SIG to you!

More then meets the eye,
    His a MapMaker in disguise.

Bump to top.

Count me in. I will assist you.

Kronok

Bump to top.

Bump to top.

Lightbulb

Easier to just "stick" the thread at top, rather than bump it. You should have the ability to do this, Steve.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Testreader Signup Closed

All right, the sign-up period for testreading for the SRM: Romulans is now CLOSED.

Much thanx to all who signed up!

Steve Long