Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Series seeds

A colonial variation

Sticking with the colonial theme...

Era: NX-era
    Type: Cultural/survival

Terra Nova being the "Roanoke" of Earth's extra-terrestrial colonial efforts, I could see Starfleet sending the NX-2 or -3 by to look into setting up a fresh colony, and make another go of it.

Not only would the colonists need to learn survival on their new planet, there could be lots of good cultural fodder, re-introducing Earth cultures to Terra Nova.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Star Trek: Wanderer

Era: Post Romulan Civil War (2381+)
    Type: Freelance

After I finish "Shattered Future," I intend to take a break from all the "high and mighty" Starfleet stuff and just bang around space in the Wanderer. The captain just inherited the ship, and the Engineer is a 15-yr old kid, the drive hands are both thugs with ties to the Orion Syndicate, and the doctor is quite mad. Oh... and the pilot is strikingly familiar to anyone who remembers that cat Gary Seven used to hang out with. Silly, but it's meant as a break.

Action will center around trying to stay ahead of the Orions, the FCA and every other trade or economic organization out there. Oh, yeah... and Starfleet, the KDF, the Cardassians, the Bajoran Miltia and half a hundred other military groups.

I've designed a ship, the Sojourner-class light freighter Wanderer.

The Ship stats include 3D renderings of the ship.

SS Wanderer
    "Boldly Going where Angels Fear to Tread"
    (100 pts if you can tell me where I got the Dedication Plague Quote)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeffery "Shran" Keown
    Star Trek: Sovereign
    NCC-90201 "Jersey Style!"

Star Trek VI

Kirk and Spock are in Spocks quarters discussing their carrers before going into battle at Khitomer.

Kirk: "You're a great one for logic. I'm a great one for boldly going where angels fear to tread."

7 of 9's company

The name isn't final. It's an idea for a real show - not a RPG campaign.

It's set in a post-voyager's-return-to-earth era. The show is all about 7 of 9 and her struggle to fit in with life on earth. She comes to earth, DOESN'T join starfleet (at least not in the first season), looks for an apartment (the pilot) -- maybe with a roommate (comic-relief), tries several job opportunities, have romantic adventures (or mishaps). A bundle of comic situations.

The co-stars are her nana (her closest living relative?), the DOCTOR - who is the regular counter-part (his battle to achieve full human rights will also be explored). Maybe she gets a pet, I don't know.
    She obviously dumps Chakote - but he might return from time to time to give a "Mister Big" appearance. Other cast members from Voyager (and other shows) might pop up from time to time and receive A LOUD applause from the audience.

Further seasons can explore her career in starfleet (which she does join eventually). And for the 5th or 6th season, when ratings are low, she can have a baby.

This started as a joke after not getting enough 7 of 9 after Voyager ended. It got out of hand as you can see.
    A sitcom could be a nice change to the Star Trek saga though

Roy.

The real novelty in this one would be the fact that there is an audience!

Renegades
    Era: Any would work, but TOS would probably be best.
    Style: Exploration / Combat

Although this campaign could be played standalone, it is intended as a sequel to an exploration campaign. The PCs are on their last exploration mission, ideally flying a small craft that is about to be decommissioned, when they come across a primitive planet that is being oppressed by some outside force. (Orions, Klingons, original baddie, etc...) They need to feel sympathetic towards this culture, so push the players’ buttons. Make them badly want to help these people. Of course being in a remote sector and mindful of the Prime Directive, Starfleet Command cannot help. The crew return to Earth, and are cut new orders for different postings – they are about to be separated. But they receive a further request for aid from the planet, a messenger sent at great expense.

So what can they do? The planet needs a ship to protect it from the invaders, and the PCs must provide one. They could resign their Starfleet commissions and try and get hold of a private combat ship, or steal one from an unfriendly power. Or, they could pull off a STIII and steal their old vessel out of Spacedock. (Well, Kirk had to get the idea from somewhere…)

The campaign then revolves around getting their ship to the planet, making any necessary repairs and upgrades while finding any suitable new crew. (A good chance to replace any characters, and to break out some civilian or ‘enemy’ archetypes.) Then they must fight the enemy off, alone. Some character conflicts can be introduced – the captain is now captain only by mutual agreement, and he can’t call for a court-martial anymore.

Some interesting twists could be brought in here. Perhaps the whole mission is under the control of Starfleet Intelligence, for some unknown reason. Perhaps the Admiralty wanted to help them, but could not do so officially. (Permission refused by the Federation Council, unable to antagonize the offending powers.) This could enable the players to return to Starfleet afterward, but otherwise it would make a great ending to a long campaign. (For maximum effect, destroy the ship at the end.)

7. Seemed like the best place for this, but basically this is for the Decipher people:

Has it ever been considered to try and catalog all the play groups for the RPG? If it could be done, several benefits would arise.

1) By having a central database of play groups, new players interested would be able to find an established group to go to and learn the game.

2) and potentially even bigger, this would open up the possibility of being able to run a national or even international storyline. Something like a mission every six months per play group, and they can all be coalesced into a unique storyline.

example: Decipher decides to run a Romulan War campaign in the post-DS9 era. With the catalog in place, the "admiralty" (either a group of GM's or a group of the game's designers) assigns missions to each play group, which will then perform them and report the results back to the "admirals." They will then come up with the new strategy based on that, and on what it has been decided the Romulans did, whether they were actually done by play groups or not. All actions and changes of territory are posted on a website such as this one, where everyone can see it. The war continues, possibly culminating at a convention, until the "admirals" come up with a better idea for a series and decide to end it.

A bit simplistic of an explanation, but you see the possibilities. Thoughts?
    Cdr. Aitrus Colso
    USS Philadelphia, FF-6053

<a href="http://www.federationspace-rpg.net">Federation Space</a>
    Where New Legends Are Born

I like this idea! It is similar, I guess, in nature to the "Living Campaigns" that WoTC have (Living Greyhawk, etc.).

This indeed will help build a community but I don't know how much a popular is Decipher's Star Trek RPG is. I know I love it but the forums are rather quiet and Decipher support is dodgy (their website never updates and books are delayed forever).

On the other hand -- you don't need Decipher to do this (although official support is nice) -- If you can find someone with the required web knowledge you can make a web-database/catalog on your own with any information you like in it. I am sure people will register because where else could they do it?
    Eventually, with enough creative and motivated people in the community, the Living Campaigns you describe can come true.

Roy.

Definitely a good idea: need some work though and volunteers. It could become something really good. And I agree: Decipher support would be welcome but not mandatory.

White Knights vs. Black Ops

ERA: Post-DS9
    ORGANIZATION: Starfleet vs. Starfleet
    GENRE: Espionage
    FEEL: Intrigue

Found a used copy of Deep Space Nine Season 6 on DVD which contains the first Section 31 episode "Inquisition." In it, Sloan establishes that it was a provision in the Starfleet charter which authorizes Section 31. When Bashir blew the whistle on Section 31 at the end of the ep, Sisko mentions that some of the Starfleet brass was covering up Section 31's activities.

So, it means that there's corruption within regular Starfleet amongst high ranking admirals and officials. It also means that Starfleet does have the authority within itself to disband Section 31 if it so chooses.

This would be a great campaign springboard -- "White Knight" Starfleet attempts to clean up and take down "Black Ops" Section 31 Starfleet intelligence.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

A Small Blue World at the end of one of the Spiral Arms of the Milky Way Galaxy.
    Not having gotten around to reading all of the above posts, please forgive if i'm repeating someone:

Era: Any
    Type: Exploration, Time Travel/Alternate Realities.

Details: I got this idea from a ST Book, but the title eludes me for now. The PC ship (preferably an explorer with a bit of staying power), is testing some new tecnobabble equipment (in the book it was warp boosted shields), when someone hops through the guardian of forever & changes the past. Unfortunatly this is no local change, they stopped the meteor from wiping out the dinosaurs. (You can insert what ever history altering event you want, but the further the better).

The ships & crew are protected but the new kit they are testing, but suddenly Starfleet & the Federation are gone.

From here it is totally up to the players what they do, but remember, if there's no-one on Earth (as in the book) how do you find out where history has been played with. Also, if you take away the Guardian of Forever, (as i am), then they players will have no easy way of checking history.

Another plus is you can use all the existing alien races, but slightly altered, if you prep it right, none of them will know what a terran is, & it's first contact all over again.

This is one you can play around with for as long as you want & to top it all off, when the players do fix things, (If they do), they have to remember to use their new kit, or they'll end up not remembering a thing about what happened.

(Another plus, if the 'Fix' the wrong thing, then they could end up making things even worse)

Sundowner
    Sundowner

"Sure, it will probably explode. But at least I won't be in it, on it, or near it."

The book was First Frontier and the event that was disrupted was the Asteroid that hit Earth and wiped out the dinosaurs.

Ran it as an adventure for my Movie Era Crew using the Fasa system (Was a few years before Coda came out)

Post Series idea

Era: any, but prefer Post Dominion War
    Type: Starfleet Merchant Marine/Time Displacement

Believe it or not, I got the idea for this after seeing 'The Perfect Storm' a few times too many.

The story goes like this: a group of commercial fishermen on a dragger are caught in something like the perfect storm, only at its center is an energy phenomenon. The fishermen are caught in the storm, unable to escape. Their boat, severely damaged and overloaded, sinks in the eye of the storm.......

.....and as it sinks, it gets pulled into a time portal created by the storm. The portal transports them hundreds of years into the future where they end up on an island (on Earth). Eventually, they're recovered by Starfleet officers. After some period of adjustment (shock of time displacement, getting reacquainted with long-lost descendants, learning the ways of the 24th century), Starfleet offers to train them in the Merchant Marine. Having nothing else better to do, the former fishermen undergo the rigors of Starfleet Merchant Marine training.

Eventually they get their own ship, which they rename after their lost fishing boat. Their new lives take them to the farthest reaches of Federation space: new challenges, new adventures, new rewards, new dangers.

This series has lots of opportunities to deal with issues like:

first contact -- remember these are former fishermen. They'll be making contact with many Federation cultures for the first time.

business ventures -- since the crew have worked for themselves before, they'll know how to turn a potentially bad business deal into a profitable one, something the Ferengi might notice.

personal loss -- the adjustment to a new life will be easier for some of the crew than for others.

personality issues -- remember that a fishing boat crew is used to being on their own and relying on each other to work on a relatively small boat. Now they have to learn to work with several more people from different worlds on a much larger ship.

spirit of adventure -- fishermen have their own sets of adventure stories, some exaggerated, some not. They won't have to exaggerate any of their adventure stories from deep space. They may even be a bit overwhelmed, for example, the first time they encounter the Bajoran wormhole, or giant beings made of pure energy!

Just a thought.

-M_F

ERA: ANy but early Federation (Enterprise/TOS) is probably better.
    TYPE: World Building.

Colony ship Omega arrives at the fourth planet from Epsilon Eridani (if it's far enough out) on the very edges of Federation Space.

Several dozen huge landing pods touch down in a 15 kilometer line and deploy their industrial equipment ready to start clearing the jungle and create a landing area for the colonist ships.

Enter the players. It's a new world with new dangers and new challenges. You don't get many Starships out this far, if any atall so it's down to you to organise the colonists and keep them safe.

Maybe this system is on the edge of a hostile or agressive alien empire who contest the ownership. Beyond that, the world can present it's own mysteries and dangers. Maybe there is an ancient race here. Or just the ruins of one with terrible secrets. Maybe the Federation want to set up a penal colony alongside the main one. There are wonderful new flora and fauna to study and dangerous ones aswell and the planet has to make itself self-sustaining on schedule aswell.

Inspired by Lalonde in Peter F Hamilton's 'Reality Dysfunction.'

Crow

An Akira class vessel-Post DW-

My story is of a Akira class vessel in the post-Dominion War assigned to the old DMZ- Which the Cardassians have given up due to thier losses of the war.

The Captain is a veteran of the war as are many of the crew; enlisted and officers alike-Thier job is to try to repair the damage of the treaty of 2367 and to rebuild and protect the former colonies.

Their fleet-The Tweflth is based at Starbase 129 and the area of responsiblity streches from the Talarian Republic to the Alpha/Beta border with the Klingons
    I was born in a camp on Bajor- I joined the Resistance at 12 to fight for my people and my freedom. I joined Starfleet to help KEEP that freedom. As the Prophets will it I shall not fail you, Captain.

Lt.Commander Varin Rel-Former Starfleet Special Operatons officer-now assigned to the USS LUMUMBA-NCC-78245 as CTO.