Thread: The Aegean Development Project

The Aegean Development Project

I know that I probably posted this somewhere on the old boards, but here it is again.

I would like to give credit to Steve Long for designing the Med.-class and and coming up with the spark that is the Aegean-class. I eagerly await the "official" version, just to see how close I was. Plus I have incorporated some SD Stats that I think add "flavour" to LUG Trek ship designs.

Aegean-class Starship

Class and Type: Aegean-Class Frigate

Hull Characteristics
    Size: 5
    Ablative Armour: 52
    Structural Points: 100
    Atmosphere Capable
    Planet Fall Capable

Operations Characteristics
    Crew/Passengers/ Evac: 115/70/1804 [6pwr/rd] (military transport)
    Computers: 4 [5pwr/rd]
    Transporters: Personnel 3, Emergency 3, Cargo 2 [6pwr/rd] all str 8
    Tractor Beams: 1fd, 1 av [3pwr/rating used/rd] str 8
    Emergency Medical Hologram (sickbay) [1pwr/rd it is active]
    Holographic Communications System [2pwr/rd] str 7, Sec -4

Propulsion and Power Characteristics
    Warp System: 6.0/7.3/9.2 (15 hours) [2pwr/wf]
    Impulse System: .72c/.9c [7/9pwr/rd]
    Power: 215

Sensor Systems:
    Long-range Sensors: +1/15LY [5pwr/rd] str 7
    Lateral Sensors: +1/1LY [4pwr/rd] str 7
    Navigational Sensors: +1 {5pwr/rd]
    Sensor Skill: 3

Weapons Systems
    Type X phaser
    Range: 10/30 000/100 000/300 000
    Arc: All (720 degrees)
    Accuracy: 4/5/7/10
    Damage: 20
    Power: [20]

Type VII Torpedo Launcher
    Number:120 (hi Yield)
    Launchers: 1ad, 1fv (self-guiding)
    Spread: 8
    Range: 15/350 000/1 500 000/4 050 000
    Accuracy:4/5/7/10
    Damage: 25
    Power:[5]
    Weapon Skill: 4

2 Aegean Weapons Modules (1fvs, 1fvp) containing both:
    Type X Pulse Phaser Cannon
    Range:10/30 000/100 000/300 000
    Arc: Forward
    Accuracy:3/4/6/9
    Damage: 25
    Power:[25]

Type II Torpedo Launcher
    Number: 80 (40 stored in each launcher)
    Launchers: 1fds, 1fdp
    Spread: 4
    Arc: Forward, but are self-guiding
    Range:15/300 000/1 000 000/3 500 00
    Accuracy: 4/5/7/10
    Damage: 20
    Power: [5]
    Weapon Skill: 4

Defensive Systems
    Starfleet Deflector Shield
    Protection: 55/75
    Power:[55]

Description and Notes:

Fleet Data: During its 36 years of service the Mediterranean-class had seen many up-grades to increase its effective range and deployment life. Since 2369 the class had performed well as a general purpose platform, carrying out exploration, diplomatic and combat missions with equal ease. It was, however, decided in the early 2370's that a dedicated orbital support and core system defense platform was needed and the reliable Mediterranean-class was chosen to be the basis of this new vehicle. In 2372 the USS Aegean arrived at the Theleb Shipyards in orbit around Tellar, to begin the three-year refit.

The original Aegean design had called for the addition of Ablative armour, Atmoshpere Capability, and improved Medical Facilities (including the addition of an EMH), some of the phaser arrays were also to up-graded, and the Torpedo systems to fire larger spreads. The port and Starboard dorsal launchers were removed in favour of the addition of the Aegean Weapons Modules (containing Pulse Phaser Cannons and torpedo launchers.) It was later deemed that up-grading the phaser arrays would be unnecessary, and that modification was dropped. It was, also, suggested during the latter part of the planning process that since the ship would be entering the some planets atmospheres it might just as well be able to land on the surface, making it easier to ground and service the ground forces it was to support. The torpedo launchers were up-graded with the new Type VII launchers, so the Aegeanwould have the capability to use the new high yield torpedo, which allows for more accurate atmospheric fire for use in ground bombardment missions. Lastly, two shuttle craft were replaced with two Danube-class Runabouts (both of which are configured to carry as many troops as possible), adding a longer recon range.

In December of 2375 the newly christened USS Aegean NCC 70415 departs Tellar spacedock for its shakedown cruise to the Sol System. However, the Aegean Development Project has not been without its teething pains. While testing the new weapons systems at the Pluto Deep Space Firing Range it was discovered that after sustained use of the Pulse Phaser Cannons in the AWMs there was a substantial heat gain that caused the Type II Photon Launchers to jam, causing 3% of the torpedoes to be jettisioned from the launchers. New Thermal Jacket designs are in progress to alleviate the problem. Minor problems with the Pulse Phaser target interlock system have yet to be ironed out as well. Other than that the only complaint from the crew, other than the somewhat more cramped quarters then they are used to, were several requests that the EMH be reprogrammed, this time with a beside manner and "real personality."

Noteworthy Vessels/Service Records/Encounters: USS Aegean NCC 70415, prototype (re-registered after re-fit), currently on shakedown cruise in Sol System (2375); USS Thermopylea NCC 71135 and USS Marathon NCC 71235 re-fit in progress, awaiting results of USS Aegean shakedown cruise.

Comments and ideas welcome.
    Last edited by Phantom; 10-03-2001 at 02:56 AM.

March 15, 2376

To: Rear Admiral J. Ryan

RE: Aegean Development Project.

Sir,

It is my honour to announce to you that all of the design "bugs" have been removed from the USS AEGEAN and she is ready for deployment with the Fleet. The new Thermal Jacket designs for the PPCs have worked as well as expected, and my engineers assure me the new interlock circuits are more accurate then those on other ships of similar design.

Captain Gav and his crew eagerly await your orders.

On another note, work on the MENTOR up-grade package is proceeding nicely and should make a good addition to Exploration Command. With the addition of the Neural gel-packs we believe we can increase computer efficiency by at least 50%, and with the new holographic systems the EMH can be up rated to MkII and will be able to have access to the whole of the ship.

With the long awaited return of the USS Voyager, some of my engineers have expressed interest in the deployment to the ECH program from that ship. I must admit I do find the concept interesting myself, but suggest further testing of the program is necessary. The third ship to be refit, USS TRAJAN NCC 70466, would make a fine test platform and will be ready in a years time. Further status reports will be sent in one week.

We certainly are living in exciting times.

Respectfully,

S.A. Walker
    Captain, ASDB
    Last edited by Phantom; 10-03-2001 at 02:59 AM.

Thumbs up

Very, very nice design! It's this kind of background flavor/detail I really enjoy!

Erik

Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom, Earth, Sector 001
    SMOKIN' (in the voice of theMask )
    -------------------------
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

"In time of war, the law falls silent"

Admiral Ross to Dr Bashir

Outstanding!!!!!
    Best speed to Gallifrey!
    Commodore Horatio Richard Jaeger
    CO,USS Audacity,NCC-85901

This sort of "continuity" is something I really liked about the SpaceDock/Ship Recog. Manual, and your ship fits in there juuuust right. (little baby bear voice).

She shall be making an appearance in my campaigns methinks.

Thanks for the sharing...

The Doc
    So you think, 'Might as well,
    Dance a Tango to Hell,
    at least I'll have Tangoed at all.'
    -- "Rent," Jonathan Larson

December 15, 2376

****BEGIN TRANSMISSION****

To: Rear Admiral J. Ryan

RE:Aegean-class MENTOR package.

Sir,

I can now report that all the models and sims of the effectiveness of the MENTOR upgrade package has been completed and the the outfitting of USS Mentor has begun in earnest.

As was stated in previous briefs the introduction of a Bio-Neural Computer package has improved the efficiency of the main computer cores by about 50%, we have also included a Class Beta upgrade to all computer systems on board, further improving the onboard computer systems.

EMH MkII installation complete. With Dr. Zimmerman's assistance we were able to save much of the EMH Mk Is personality.

The new Type-8 Sensor package, and the Class-Beta upgrade, has been installed and is working at peak performance. These new systems bring the maximum sensor range to 18 Light years distance.

The torpedo load of the AWMs has been reduced to 40 weapons each, this allows for the increase of probes to 40 each launcher plus the normal load out for a ship of its class.

If all proceeds according to schedule the USS Mentor, NCC 71010, shall break moorings just after the New Year.

Further status reports to fallow on usual basis.

S. A Walker
    Captain, ASDB

Out

****END TRANSMISSION****

Ok, game stats for the USS Mentor

As for the Aegean-class with following changes:

1) EMH MkIV, holoemitters have been placed throughout the ship. 4 pwr/rd

2)Bio-Neural Computer System with a Class-Beta upgrade.
    Power 7 +3 Total Computer Bonus.

3)Long-Range Sensors +1/18LYs. Class-beta upgrade +2 Bonus.

4) 40 torps are removed from each of AWMs and are replaced with 40 probes (varing classes).

Adding 5 to the Power rating.