Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concerning the theme song for Enterprise...

SUCKS!

Weak-sounding musak. DS9's theme was weak, Voyager's was passable, but still lacked punch.

They should just get Horner or Goldsmith to give a good orchestral piece -- something with a bit of Kornbluth or Kaper in it.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Inquiry???...

Originally posted by qerlin
    [B
    Kornbluth or Kaper [/B]

Kornbluth (foget his first name right now) was famed for his 'sea scores' in movies like 'Captain Blodd' etc. Bronislau Kaper was a '50-'70 composer. One of his best works was the score for 'Mutiny on the Bounty' (1962).

Goldsmith captured that sort of feel with the MotionPicture/Next Gen score; Horner with the Khan one.

Voyager -- a Goldsmith throw-of, IMO -- needed just a bit more 'umph' and would have been a great theme.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Talking Agree to Disagree...

And let's all agree that they didn't use the the guy that did the Baywatch theme music (pre-Baywatch Hawaii). That would definitely ruin my Wednesday evenings.

And yes, I can't help myself. I am humming to the ENT theme music out of habit. I don't care if it's a marketing scheme (heck, I did bought the music to Friends, "I'll Be There For You"), I woudn't mind picking up the singles.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

It really isn't that bad. Different? Yes. Their trying to capture a different feel for the show. It's ambitious and I say more power to 'em.
    Insert something clever

Originally posted by qerlin
    Kornbluth (foget his first name right now) was famed for his 'sea scores' in movies like 'Captain Blodd' etc.
    Don't you mean KornGOLD?
    Deo Vindice!

I'm with Reg, I rather like the theme music.

And for those who don't like it, just listen to the theme music to "Crusade" sometime. That's how bad it COULD have been.

OKay, as far as ti goes with Sci-Fi, we have grown up on the idea that it should be an Instrumental piece. Most if not all Sci-Fi has been that way. When Buck Rogers was released back in the 80's( Goddess I can't believe I dated my myself)... It was an Instrumental Piece for the show, but it had lyrics for the music charts.

This probably is what they should have done for Enterprise, or collared there Promo Music that they had for Voyager and Enterprise. FOr those that are scratching your heads for a little while they had "Creed's- Can you take me Higher..." for Voyager and for Enterprise it is "The Callings- Whever you may go..." both which I think would have made great pieces for their Theme Song.

I really have no thoughts other then those posted on this, it was well done...
    Jonathan Talbot.
    Medical Officer
    "First Away Team Mission... Beaming down to a Hostile Planet... Captain Kirk is leading the Away Team... I am wearing a red shirt... No Fear!!! Unknown Crew Member

Well, that's certainly a gamut of opinions...

...and mine hasn't changed one iota. If anything, hearing "Faith of the Heart" again tonight only confirms my affection for it. Considering how often Berman and Braga have FUBARed things during their administration, I was pleasantly surprised.

"Schlock"? Oh, dear.

There truly is no accounting for taste... one man's "schlock" is another's genuine sentiment, after all.

"<I>Come on</i>... who cried when Old Yeller died?"

I do note that more than a few seem to dislike the theme with what smacks of... perhaps... a bit of an elitist mentality?

Thank you all for your perspectives. They're interesting, and valued.

Honestly, I think the song is lame. It makes me want to change the channel. The opening credits to Enterprise are fantastic and I commend B&B (I NEVER thought I would put commend and B&B in the same sentence) on putting it together. But, this song is too soft.

I think the thing that bothers me most is that it's not the song that aired during the commericals! That song, "Wherever You May Go" by the Calling, really fit the mood of Enterprise, in my opinion. So, when I watched the pilot and waited for the Calling's song to come on and heard this other...thing...I was very disappointed.

Right now, there are TWO online petitions for B&B to remove the current theme song. I think most people think it just stinks. And I think they're right.

I'm sorry guys. I tried. I emptied my mind (Harder than you might think), tried to throw out my preconcieved notions (it's schlock), and listened to that song again tonight.

It still didn't do it for me.

I can see why others would like it. It seems to fit the montage intro very well, and does a good job evoking the feelings of climbing up out of the metaphorical ocean and stepping on land for the first time.

Somehow, it even makes the intro feel older than the other shows. Closer to our modern day, evoking a prequel feel.

But, I still don't like it.

But, with repeated listenings it may grow on me.

Maybe I am an elitist. I only like to deal with the best. (Hence the amount of time I spend here.) Life's too short to do things you don't like.

As a note, I find it heartening that the worst thing people can find wrong with Enterprise is the Theme song.

Best wishes,

Alex

Cool

"Come on... who cried when Old Yeller died?"
    Not me. I cried for the wolves. **sniffles**

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

As I said above, it has to go!

Sorry, it has to stay.

I do hope they grow on you, like the Defiant grew on me during the sixth season of DS9.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Petitions, eh?

For all the people demanding, <I>"Carthago delenda est,"</I> there seem to be a few that say she should be spared.

Petitions? Intriguing. Considering how responsive Berman seems to be, I wish you luck.