Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Klingon Battleships from FASA

FASA Ship Designs

Yep, the ship designs come straight out of the FASA Klingon Ship Recognition Manuals. The first came out in 1983; the second, a more detailed work, was published in 1985.

I ran into a few problems with the ship manuals and have had to change some in-service dates and a few of the weapons to fit my game.

For example, when I was presented with a Klingon ship that has:

4 forward disruptors
    1 that fires forward and starboard,
    1 that fires forward and port,
    2 aft disruptors,
    plus 2 forward torpedeo launchers and
    2 aft torpedeo launchers;

you have some overkill there. The overall idea was to remain truthful to the FASA designs at the same time molding them to the LUG designs.

Erik

Re: Klingon Battleships from FASA

Originally posted by eharborclub

LUG likes giving big Klingon ships a lot of torpedoes (One of my players, in character, said to his Vulcan subordinate, "Who needs 800 torpedoes?" The other player, playing the Vulcan, totally deadpan, raised his eyebrow and said, "A Klingon." then promptly left the table to stuff a slice of pizza in his mouth.).

Oh that's wonderful. Great comeback

Ah, the good old FASA Klingon ships. I remember them well. Especially the 'Fat Man'.

Great stats.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Ah yes, I can hear the Klingon theme music now...Which is kind of unsettling because I'm a Romulan fan.

'Dangerous Fat Man?'
    Them Klingons are hilarious.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Originally posted by C. Huth
    'Dangerous Fat Man?'
    Them Klingons are hilarious.
    What's even more hilarious, is that particular 'Battleship' design (in the FASA system) couldn't even take down a refit Constitution class starship Has anyone tried it in ICON yet? I'd be interested to hear how it matched up.

Actually, talking of the old FASA designs, you should have seen some of their Gorn ships. Flying bricks, and about as well armed

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

A Faithful recreation of the Turtle...

That's what really threw me for a loop too. It just didn't fit for the ICON system game I am running. "Dangerous Fat Man" was really a joke of a starship. It was slow, underpowered, and had a really lousy shield system. It's firepower was respectable for a frigate but by no means was it threatening to anything above a frigate or destroyer.

The FASA Starfleet vessels were superior to all other ships in the galaxy.

Gorn ships were similarly laughable, just a poor cousin to the Klingon ships.

But, here is my most faithful attempt to model the FASA L-13 A, the K'el ri'anda aka the, "Dangerous Fat Man", known to FASA Starfleet crews as simply, "The Turtle".

Battleship Class L-13 K'elri'anda (Dangerous Fat Man)
    In Service Date 2240
    Size 7
    Resistance 3
    Structural points 140
    Crew/Passengers/ Evac 1028/392/3000 (10 pwr)
    Computers 5 (5 pwr)
    Transporters 10 P/6 C/4 E (10 pwr)
    Tractor Beam 1 fv, 1 av (2 pwr)

Warp 3.0/4.0/6.0 (12 hrs) (2/wf)
    Impulse .4 c/.66 c (4/6 pwr)
    Power 125

Long Range Sensors 1/12 ly (6 pwr)
    Lateral Sensors 1/0 ly (4 pwr)
    Navigational Sensors 0 (5 pwr)
    Sensors Skill 4

Beam Weaponry
    Type III Disruptor 10 dmg (10 pwr) F (120 deg) & P (120 deg)
    Range 10/30,000/100,000/300,000
    Beam Weapon Accuracy 4/5/7/10

Beam Weaponry

Beam Weaponry

Beam Weaponry

Beam Weaponry 2
    Type II Disruptor 8 dmg (8 pwr) A (120 deg)
    Beam Weapon 2 Accuracy 4/5/7/10

Beam Weaponry 2
    Type II Disruptor 8 dmg (8 pwr) F (120 deg)

Beam Weaponry 2
    Type II Disruptor 8 dmg (8 pwr) F (120 deg)

Weapons Skill 4

Deflector Shields 30/35 max (30 pwr/shield/rnd)
    Cloak N/A

Here you go Captain Daniel Hunter, I hope this was what you were looking for!

Erik

Cheers Erik. Looks pretty good to me. Now of course, I'm going to have to find an excuse to use it in my campaign. Maybe I can introduce it into my TOS campaign as a prototype Klingon Ship. Hmmm, that has possibilities.

Anyway, great work.

Ahh, I love this board

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!

Re: A Faithful recreation of the Turtle...

Originally posted by eharborclub
    That's what really threw me for a loop too. It just didn't fit for the ICON system game I am running. "Dangerous Fat Man" was really a joke of a starship. It was slow, underpowered, and had a really lousy shield system. It's firepower was respectable for a frigate but by no means was it threatening to anything above a frigate or destroyer.

The FASA Starfleet vessels were superior to all other ships in the galaxy.

Gorn ships were similarly laughable, just a poor cousin to the Klingon ships.
    Erik
    I used SFB to help decide how to up gun the non-federation ships from FASA. The Klingons and Roms had great looking ships but whoever decided on the stats did not like Klingons.

Agreed, but this did lend credence to the idea that Klingons tend to work in wings of three...I guess you need this when your ships are so weak.
    Captain Zymmer
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter accusations...

That would asssume that the reasoning behind the three ship unit was because of their weakness. For that matter since Klingon ships acted independantly during TOS, III and many other occasions, the three ship group may have been unusual. It might only show a higher ranked officer present, more powerful house or more concern over the mission.

I would say the lone ships would be scouts. Remember the "no win situation" The Kobyoshi Maru, that scenario used a squadron of 3 Klingon warships. IIRC most Klingon units in the DW were in squads of 3, 6, or 9. A 3 ship unit would be albe to handle just about anything with a minimum of resources.

In the short lived Klingon campaign I ran, and interactions in my MP campaign, the 3 ship unit is not as common as individual ships. In the Kobayashi Maru scenario, three K't'inga battlecruisers are more than a match for a Connie refit. If the Klingon Empire is still fairly resource poor could they afford to have very many three ship squadrons? Especially when it would be overkill against the best the Federation has to give?

Like what LUG has in the TOS manual, I picture the D-7 to be the equal of the Constitution and the K't'inga the equal of the refit. I had to modify all of the Klingon ships that FASA created to make them comparable to the Feddies and Rommies.

Using FASA D,WDF,CV numbers My mods have the ships rated as follows:

Constitution Refit: 150.6,89.2,134.3
    K't'inga: 141.5,80.5,113.9

The variation because of weaker shields on the K't'inga.

Well enough babbling for now.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those
    who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante Alighieri

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.