Thread: NCO character creation question

Post NCO character creation question

OK, forgive me if this has been asked before, but I'm a little uncertain if I'm doing this right.

The rules in the players guide say to pick an template from the TNG rulebook. No problem there. They then go on to say pick an overlay. These overlays use less points than those for Academy Graduates. Well and good but WHICH overlays? The ones in the TNG rulebook? I assumed not, but perhaps I'm wrong. I figured that p90 of the Players Guide held the overlays, BUT the instructions on p89 seem to indicate otherwise. Still, using common sense I used them as overlays anyway. Is this right? Is there a misprint in the NCO creation rules in the players guide? Or am I just whistlin' Dixie?

------------------
    Captain Daniel Hunter
    CO NCC-73602, U.S.S. Intrepid
    http://www.ussintrepid.org.uk

Smile

Well, if you want to create NCOs fresh from the academy then do the follwing steps:

1: Select a Template

2: Select an Early Life Package
    (costs 5 development points)

3: Select one of the Overlays from page
    90-92 from the players´guide
    (costs 25 development points)

4: Select an Enlisted Training History
    from page 93 (Players´Guide)

5: Use 5 additional development points for
    skills, andvantages and disadvantages

I hope this will help you.

------------------
    God, I liked him better before he died.

That makes it much clearer.

Many thanks

I've got some NCOs to generate before Friday, and that'll be a big help.

------------------
    Captain Daniel Hunter

The procedure given above will simply give you a crewman 2nd class straight out of training. To become an NCO (Petty Officer and above), you need to run the character through several tours of duty, gaining experience and promotions.

Cheers Owen. The character in question is gong to be fairly young (20) but will have 2 years experience, one of those years spent during the Dominion War.

Pity Steve Longs DW Sourcebook isn't ready yet I figure there's a template or two in there that would have been really useful.

I was planning to pad out one of the tours of duty packages with a few extra DPs to reflect his wartime experience. Any suggestions as to how many I should use? I was thinking an extra 5.

------------------
    Captain Daniel Hunter

No real need to "pad" anything. Have the Dominion War be his first tour (10 points) then, if you want a bit more, have him go to one of the advanced schools in the front of the book... Advanced Tactical or something (depending on his specialty)... have him report just after graduation. Give one point to make him a PO3 any you're off...

If his specialty isn't covered, use the same number of points to make one up.

Yes, the effect is the same as "padding" but now there's a story behind it... and a hook for more. Why was he (she/ it?) selected for an advanced school so early in the career? Luck? Good performance? Recommended by the CO to get him off the ship/ transferred for some reason?

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain