Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starfleet Academy's graduate output

Why does Starfleet have one Academy? Because that is what Gene Rodenberry said. Do I disagree, yes. Should SF have more than one, yes. Where should they be? Where the War Colleges/Academies are today. Would this solve this problem, yes.

Remember it is your game, do it how you will. Myself, The Starfleet Academy is at San Francisco, but there are other smaller vesions all over the place. And, it does add to the spice of the game, at least for my players.

~LL

~LL

------------------
    "Resistance is futile...say baby that is a nice tight skirt you have on." --President Clinton of Borg.

One Academy sure, but many, many campuses.
    If it were just that building in SanFransisco (sp?) then they would be hard pressed to have 1000 enrolments let alone twice that number. Maybe they have alot of external cadets
    Theoretically if your pumping out say 100+ ships a year and a average crew of say 750 then your graduating class should be around 75000, give or take a few thousand.
    And like someone said here, maybe they have allotments for each world for new cadets. Earth for instance could have 5000.

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

I vaguely remember (though of course I could be wrong) that when Wesley Crusher first applied for the Academy and failed that it was mentioned that each member planet only had one or possibly two places assigned to it. I remember thinking at the time that it was a bit silly. The one successful applicant would be built like Dolph Lundgren with an IQ of about 290.

To Spyone, I can accept that your figures make some sense as you present them, but I prefer the more intimate vision of Star Fleet as a small elite force. The ships and the people are unique and important. How can you develop an affection for ship 343 out of a run of 10,000, regardless of what her name is. The individuals must and should be allowed to make the difference in this game.

I'm not even going to get drawn into the old size of the Federation debate ...

------------------
    "You couldn't even SPELL Prime Directive!"
    "Not true. It's spelt P-H-A-S-E-R."

Here's a figure that might help:
    According to the DS9 Tech Manual, the Cardassian Union produces 63 battle cruisers and 15 'warship's each year, for a total of 78 ships of large size.
    It also says they produce 583,000 base-level troop, 21,600 Glinn-level officers, and 8,900 Gul-level officers each year. I'm guessing a Glinn is about equal to a Lieutenant.
    So, decide how you think the Federation compares with Cardassia, production-wise, and adjust.
    I think the Federation could produce 10 times as many ships, or about 800. 10 times as many people means an Academy class of 216,000.

Using my above method, reasoning that an incoming class replaces retirees during that year and an average 40 year career, that would mean about 8 million officers in Starfleet, probably 25 million total.

Another fact to use: half of all US Navy ships' crews are from the lowest 3 enlisted grades, which translate into Trek as grades of Crewman. So, the remaining half is Petty Officers, Chief Petty Officers, Warrant Officers, and Commissioned Officers.

------------------
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

One way out of the "size of the Federation vs. the size of Starfleet" dilema is to assume that the various planetary Self Defense Forces play a bigger role than we see on screen.

The Andorian sourcebook shows Andor having at least six "fleets"... from the descriptions in the book I assume that Andor space and it's trade routes within Andor Sector and the routes to other major member worlds (Terra, Tellar, Vulcan) are VERY well patrolled. Then there is the Andorian Astronomical Survey. From their description in the book, I would expect them to pop up just about anywhere anything scientificly signifigant is happening... and occasionally sticking their noses into non-scientific matters.

Likewise, Vulcan has a substantial fleet arm... according to the text, many of these ships are on long term loan to Starfleet... the others can be assumed to be patrolling Vulcan's local space and communications routes much like the Andorian ships.

If we assume that each major world has a similar fleet (you KNOW Earth does), things get crowded quickly. If the five major members each only patrol each of their routes to the other major members with ONE ship, that's only five ships per major member, then I think it safe to assume that Starfleet doesn't worry much about these internal communications routes, or the local space near the planets, during normal peacetime operations.... and Andor and Vulcan have _way_ more than five ships each.

You would need more than five ships to justify dedicated instructional institutions like the Andorians and Vulcans have....

If only 1/3 of the remaining worlds had ONE combat-worthy spacecraft each, that gives Starfleet a "reserve" of at least _50_ ships, probably corvette or frigate equivelent.

Considering all this I would be VERY suprised if Starfleet had many ships dedicated to internal defense/ patrol missions... except, perhaps, near Earth. Even those would largely be ships on R&R and refit rotations, training ships, etc. Starfleet would patrol the perimeter of Federation space and explore beyond it, SDFs would patrol internal Federation territory backed by Starfleet ships passing through.

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain