Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Law of War

Owen brought up a good question: What do you do when a player takes a disadvantage and doesn't roleplay it? Negative Renown is the first thing I would do to the character, and I'd make sure that the character's reputation affected his interactions with NPCs. For a violation of the Starfleet Code of Honor, the character would lose the respect, confidence, and trust of all who know about his violation of the code, and I'd make sure that everybody who's anybody in the campaign knew about it. If that wasn't enough to make the player change his roleplaying style, I'd tell him that he'd have to buy off the disadvantage with his experience points immediately or as soon as possible.

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

Going back to the rewrite for a moment: it left out something that (supposedly) is the most important rule of Starfleet - the Prime Directive. A Starfleet officer is expected to give his or her own life before interfering or permitting interferance with the normal development of an alien culture. (Having said that, we ALL know how hard that's been to enforce, don't we. . .?)

------------------
    Deo Vindice!

Originally posted by Sarge:
    <Snip>...I'd tell him that he'd have to buy off the disadvantage with his experience points immediately or as soon as possible.

Quite right too, and with the fewer XP that the player is receiving for not roleplaying 'in-character' this could be a long process...
    As they have to save up their limited XP to buy off the disadvantage.

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts froma random mind!"

Talking

Originally posted by Sarge:
    Owen brought up a good question: What do you do when a player takes a disadvantage and doesn't roleplay it?
    Well, in our games that part is played by the role of Rick, who is quoted as saying: "Well, it's only a Disadvantage if I play it."

I make sure to know what my players have as Disadvantages (wish I could say the same about Advans -- "John has Alertness") so that dramatic elements come up which force the characters to confront their Disadvantages.

One player lost his character, after only three adventures, by having a fairly serious Dark Secret of being in the Maquis. Well, it came up, the character got himself into a pinch, and was forced to make good on his Dark Secret. One court martial later we've got a new character.

My favorite Disadvantage is the Code of Honor (Starfleet) -- weeeeee! I can have fun with that any session.

Personal favorite is a character that picked up Rival (Ex-wife) and made his ex-wife Fleet Admiral Neychev! I should have given him double DP for all the suffering that Trait has caused.

I agree with forcing a character to buy off Traits they don't play through XP.

Don