Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dominion War Crimes

Post Dominion War Crimes

This might make for a full fledged adventure outline if enough information is gleamed. I'm no trivia buff so I thought I'd let the group have a go at this.

Would DS9 be the choice location for the trial?

What crimes against humanity had the Dominion committed? And would the term humanity still stand in the 24th century since Humans are referred to as Terrans?

What individuals would be involved in this trial? The empires of the Alliance would all take part, but who of note?

This gives role-play for several characters. For one, there's the diplomatic rep for the Federation (or aid to the JAG if he's there), the station commander and security chief who deals with the political strife that would ensue, etc.

Our war crimes trial took months so it wouldn't be out of the question to stretch it out over a long time, perhaps even allowing a number of mini-adventures. Station/DS9 games tend to benefit from the longer more pliable adventures anyway.

War crimes ... does the Federation really want to set up a war trial? What with part of it (Section31) being guilty of doing exactly what the founders are accused of doing (cf. the last season of DS9 / The Quickening) ...
    If trial there should be, then chances are that it will not be hosted by the Federation, but rather a joint action of all big powers ... do you think this would be possible? I'm pretty sure they all have done things in the war that they are not so proud of ... or rather, that they would rather not mention with outsiders.
    So what do you think could possibly convince them to take part in such a trial, in which they know there will be things they'll have to account for(/of? sorry for my English)?

After WWII the focus of the war crimes tribunals was on Germany and Japan, as they had lost the war and the crimes of the Allies were of course largely ignored. In addition due to politics Japan escaped many war crimes. This is especially true of the 'experiments' committed by Japan in China with chemical and biological weapons and other truly horrible projects that rivaled what the Nazis had done, but the US wanted the research for itself. In the end Japan got off fairly light compared to Germany but sadly that is how it works.

So there is going to be politics in who gets brought to trial and what evidence sees the light of day, heck Section 31 will probably be quite active in manipulating the evidence for the Federation's advantage. I would figure that the Cardassians would get off real light since they suffered more than anyone in the War and the UFP surely wants to establish relations with the Union. The Breen leadership are probably out of reach in Breen Space and so will be brought to trial in absentia. So the Dominion leaders (including the Jem'Hadar officers and soldiers) captured will get the brunt of the prosecution, especially for the murder of 600 million Cardassians (which will probably be the focus of the trials).

I would imagine the trials will be held on Parliament which is a neutral world. But what legal system would be used? While we have never seen any sign of a true intragalactic court similar to our International Court of Justice, I think that Nimbus III and the Khitomer Conference probably established something along these lines for such a situation. Like our ICJ today, instead of being focused on legalism this court will be more morally focused, but on morals that cross cultures (so what do Romulans, Klingons, and the Federation agree on?).

Still this court will be overwhelmed by the level of these tribunals and the Alliance will no doubt appoint additional judges for these trials, and Starfleet will be handling the prosecution of a good number of the trials. As for the judges I could see just about any species that is part of the interstellar community, heck why not throw in a Gorn or Tholian (the PCs better be punctual). Finally, there is the question of capital punishment and whether it will apply, personally that is tricky but I think it wouldn't.

I agree the adventure possibilities are endless, just imagine trying to apprehend suspects to be brought back to be held on trial. I would also make one of the PCs have to defend a war criminal that would be truly interesting. And of course while the war crimes tribunals will probably never address the Founders Disease maybe Starfleet will look into itself (quite likely I think!). Keep in mind though that probably only a few if any Founders died (which does make a difference legally).

Sorry about the length but I had a lot of thoughts on this from my last campaign…

No, lengthy is good. Great info, btw.

Yes, capital punishment would probably be replaced by a life-sentence in Rura Penthe. If the Feds would be wise not to hold out too long before joining or Rura Penthe is exactly where they will go, if not worse.

I think it would be great to give the typical in-suppliment adventures as individual trials. This way, depending on how successful the mini-campaign is going, the GM can add them in from the adventure seeds.

The big fleshed-out adventures however should work like a plot, providing for the beginning, intrigue-filled middle and climactic end.

Characters that would probably turn up would be Weyoun (just when you thought you got rid of him) if he's allowed as defense for the maddam Founder or just to tag along as aide. Garak might come for the Cardassians. Martok and Worf. Members from DS9 called to witness. (including maybe Miles O'Brien) Etc.

This is just a brainstorm outline so if anyone wants to pick up on it, go ahead. I've never done anything near to this level before...

BACKGROUND
    MILITARY CONDUCT
    Dominion
    Cardassians
    Breen
    ADVENTURE 1
    ADVENTURE 2
    ADVENTURE 3
    ADVENTURE SEEDS: One paragraphers.

Some adventure ideas...

Section 31's involvement has been making someone suspicious of unusual activity. At some point, the player learns of its true intent and faces a conflict of interest.

The Romulans discover their introduction into the war was caused by Sisko. If Garak is discovered for his involvement, how does this effect his relationship to the trials as Cardassian representative, or the like? What position does this give the Dominion in their defense?

A little hiatus for the ship-bound players while they get to track down a war criminal on the run.

Protius, I think this type of campaign would be a challenge for any narrator, but I also think that the potential here is tremendous for a pretty awesome campaign. Really good idea for a campaign, I think my next campaign will be based on this thread.

Anyway here are a few ideas...

First for the Background we need to come up with some of the actual crimes that were committed during the war and who was responsible. This will give us an idea where the campaign will go.

Now I have given some thought to a serious legal issue, that being the self-will of the Jem'Hadar and Vorta like Weyoun. The defense for these individuals will be that they were made to follow the orders of the Founders and thus can't be held responsible for their actions (probably yes but this would be a very critical argument to overcome)! Also can Vorta be held responsible for the crimes of their predeccesors (not likely but an interesting argument)!

Another isue that will affect the campaign is that of POWs. Surely, the Breen have lots of prisoners since they were able to completely disable vessels for a considerable part of the War. And we know the Dominion had prison camps, though those in Cardassian Space were probably liberated. I could see an adventure where one of the PCs has a friend from his academy days who was MIA during the war, which they find evidence that the Breen have him or her still alive.

Just a few thoughts!

My campaign will also be based on these ideas ... what am I saying, it is based on this ...
    Anyhow ... been giving it some thoughts for a while now and I'm kind of stuck. I have a problem: I actually like the Jem'Hadar and the Cardassians. Let us stick with the Cardassians. I'd quite like them to become good guys ... errm ... at least guys who are considered to be on the good side (just like Klingons are at the moment). I'd like Cardassia to be something like the "new" Cardassia that Damar wanted, or at least something not too far of it. But I find it difficult to admit that Cardassians suddenly become nice just because I need it.
    In other words, (I certainly do not want to start a political debate, I am just underlining the analogy) how/why/when did the Germans and Japanese become nice peoples after WWII although they had always been depicted as aggressive, militaristic, expansionist, and so on during the war (just like Cardassians)? Funny that, it never struck me as strange before, but I can't help wondering now ... did it happen all that suddenly, or was it rather a very gradual change to what we all know today?
    I wonder if a war trial could/did help? To what extent?

I wish I were Yoda (there are no questions, there is certitude ... or something like that)

I'm getting a little uncomfortable with the drift portions of this topic are taking. Please keep the discussion on the subject of running a post-Dominion War game scenario. lease confine comments on historical parallels to general comments.

If anyone is interested in pursuing a deeper analysis of the events following WWII, the Weimar Republic, the fall of Soviet Communism, et cetera, I'd like to direct them to the General Chat forum of these Discussion Boards.

Owen E Oulton, CoModerator

As for POWs and the Breen, the first battle where the Defiant is destroyed after being hit by the energy dampner. All the escape pods from 312 ships (when it rains says about this many) that were hit and destroyed were left to spread panic among the alliance rather then all being destroyed.

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Well I think the truth is that Germany and Japan suffered horribly from WWII in both loss of lives and their independence. After seeing what nuclear weapons did to Japan it is hard to remain angry with the people of the nation. As for Germany it was divided and over the years the west developed great sympathy for the East Germans and the nation as a whole.

Did the war crimes trials help? Well I think that if we look at how much awareness there is about the Holocaust than it did help. I think many Germans were shocked to learn what happened. The truth is the people of Germany and Japan saw what war does and they learned from it. Also the war crime trials put the blame from a people or nation on individuals which surely must of helped.

For Star Trek I think the Cardassians learned the same lessons and will never be the same as they were and that they can and probably will become 'good guys'.

After the Dominion War the Cardassians will get help rebuilding from the Federation (24th Century Marshall Plan) and Romulans, and though I decided in my campaign they would form an alliance with the Romulans for various reasons I gave them stable (though sometimes rocky) relations with the Federation. Too much has happened for the Union and Federation to keep being enemies.

In the same sense Bajor I think will lead the way in providing humanitarian aid to the Cardassians. Kira's involvement with Damar's rebellion will be highly symbolic to the Cardassian people and the Bajorans. While there will probably always be tensions the beginnings of a true peace are there.

But still there is the real possibility of a total collapse of the Union, miliary coups, economic depression, and countless other factors that make the Cardassians wildcards. Heck they may follow the Germany and Japan route and pursue economic expansion over military and we could start seeing toys stamped Made in Cardassia!

IIR, it was the founder who ordered that ... nothing said that Thot Khor (spelling?) did or did not obey that. In the episode where Kira learns about Dukat's daughter, there is something said about Breens used to have slaves do their heavy work, isn't it? So is it not possible that the Breens took a few pods captive? So many pods, who would notice if some were missing?

P.S.: You are probably right Owen, I must say I wondered a bit before pressing the "submit reply" button ... but I'm happy I did cause Kirk gave me great ideas for my campaign .

[This message has been edited by Calcoran (edited 12-01-2000).]

Sorry Owen, I admit I did get a little sidetracked. Though I am glad, Calcoran, that you found some use in the discussion. Anyway I will endeavor to stick to the 24th Century.

I also thought I remember seeing or hearing somewhere that the Breen used slaves for mining and heavy labor, so why not captured Starfleet personnel. Plus it makes a great adventure idea, with lots of interesting decisions.

[This message has been edited by Kirk Johnson-Weider (edited 12-01-2000).]

So if the Federation had knowledge of such an order, you'll have superiors blaming subordinates who blame superiors, etc. What made me wonder is... Does a Vorta or Jem'Hadar dare lay blame to their god, or do they merely consider it the will of their god. If the latter, what happens when that will goes against the defense being presented?

Good point. Half the challenge will be in designing a compelling trial and seeing it through, allowing for a ship-crew to keep busy. The other half lies in allowing the JAG officer to take his place and develop his own case based on the material presented and to be prepared for a different outcome.

There should probably be one where a key witness disappears for fear of their life and the crew must leave to return with him before a known war criminal gets off scot free.

And if the empirical powers weren't enough to keep a security officer busy, how about the incessant inquiries by the FNN and the other reporters of the Federation. If Kirk's presence at the christening of the Ent-B was enough to gather attention from the Press, why not now. A specific character would probably be the highlight if you were after focusing the anti-press feeling through character interaction, much like on the Babylon 5 episode.

Would this be the point where the Dominion is required to recall or identify its remaining operatives in the Alpha Quadrant? What if one gone missing were to start impersonating key witnesses to his own end?

Big question is what trails would warrant as one of the big adventures? What instances warrant the most attention? And who is known most for their crimes other than the Lady Founder?

Well I think you hit one of the main problems on the head! The Jem'Hadar and Vorta would willing sacrifice themselves to protect the Founders ("The Founder knew nothing of what happened, it was completely my decision!"). They would take all the blame for any crimes and say that the Founder was ignorant of what happened! Just imagine the nightmare of defending someone who wants to get convicted in order to protect a Founder.

Of course the Lady Founder will have the largest trial, but I doubt the PCs will have anything to do with this. Personally, I think we should just create our own war criminals with the series as the back drop.

How about a Vorta (Name?) who commanded Jem'Hadar garrisons on Cardassia Prime. Not only did he supervise the murder of millions of Cardassians on the command of the Founder, but he also conducted medical research' before that and was feared by the Cardassians for his actions to keep them in line. Of course witnesses are disappearing because he had Cardassians helping him in his research and some were his informants now they want to conceal their activities.

I also see the idea of a Founder who disagrees with the surrender being an excellent nemesis. He works to conceal evidence and plant his own evidence to reveal Section 31 and the actions of Romulans and Klingons. Add to the fact that this Founder is a wanted war criminal wanted for his terrorist attacks against the UFP and you have a suspenseful and excellent villian.

Personally, I use the FIN differently in my campaigns. They are competent and professional and what journalists should be, but they are searching for the truth which is often something the PCs may want hidden. I actually see one helping them out in investigations in exchange for the scoop. For a twist imagine a FIN Reporter who is investigating and trying to prove the existence of Section 31 and its role in the War.