Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: this says it all ::sob::

Re: Re: Old fogies like us

Originally posted by Thorn
    ps. SW is easy, BSG is still around on Sci-Fi so should not be to hard to figure, but S1999 how many know what that is or better yet have seen it?
    My buddy LC called me on September 13, 1999 and asked me what today was...I thought for a second and was stumped, and then he said "The day the moon get's blown out of orbit!" I couldn't stop laughing for about 10 minutes

This show was slow placed and sometimes very very boring, but it had some great moments and some memorable characters.

I wish they would rerun it here in Canada

On a side note, did anyone ever tape "Message from Moonbase Alpha"? I don't think it aired in North America and may never be reasled or replayed due to licensing arguements.
    Captain Zymmer
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter accusations...

No, I got cranky in Season 1 - Gilligan's Island Syndrome... The crew was always happy unless the plot demanded they not be happy for a given episode. They always had what they needed unless the plot required it,then it was desperately needed.

I actually preferred Red Dwarf's vision of a ship lost - some breakdowns here and there, not always catostrophic... I really wanted to see a few patchwork repairs here and there. I felt Voyager almost immediately ignored its premise, which in my opinion is a shame, since it was a fantastic premise. They (from season 1 on) just lacked the courage to use it. All my opinion. Intelligent people of good character are welcome to disagree.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Re: Old fogies like us

Originally posted by Dan Stack
    I was indoctrinated into Star Trek at a very young age... Go back to the early 1970's... Picture a house in Liverpool, New York, just outside of Syracuse. A mother is making dinner and plopping her son in front of the tv so she has a few moments peace with which to make dinner. Her son, let us call him Dan, likes the "show with the the guy with the funny ears".

Of course it took him a very long time to realize that those were uniforms, not that Kirk liked gold shirts and Spock liked blue ones...
    Change the location to Kent, England, and you have me with that description too...

But personally TOS sends me to sleep...

Guess my mother got several hours of peace and quiet out of a single 45 minute show!

And apparently I was reported as being fond of Blondes on TV too...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Originally posted by Modem
    Now Thorn, I remember S1999 (Moon get blown out of orbit, has a station on it, and nobody evacs from it...that boys and girls IS science fiction ).
    To be fair, when the moon got blown out of orbit it must have hit transwarp velocities. And the lack of inertial dampers meant that everyone was held down on the floor unable to move to the Eagles to evac until it started slowing down 30 minutes and several star systems later!!!

OK, so THAT was the science fiction, and to be fair, I wouldn't have remembered even those details but for a recent re-run by the BBC starting in 1999, on September 13th in fact.

And we say the BBC doesn't have a sense of irony!
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Ah Yes, Space 1999, Rember it well, Have the Four Episodes they released on Video too. It is nice to take a trip back in time to what Sci-FI use to be and what it is now. BTW does anyone rember the other program that was on, that used the same sets but insted they shoot Down UFO's...
    Jonathan Talbot.
    Medical Officer
    "First Away Team Mission... Beaming down to a Hostile Planet... Captain Kirk is leading the Away Team... I am wearing a red shirt... No Fear!!! Unknown Crew Member

No, I got cranky in Season 1 - Gilligan's Island Syndrome... The crew was always happy unless the plot demanded they not be happy for a given episode. They always had what they needed unless the plot required it,then it was desperately needed.
    I cannot remember exactly when I was turned off Voyager but it was generally when it was clear that Starfleet and the Maquis members were getting along and there was no tension. That and the removal of the power problems and all the other issues with being 70 years from home.

As soon as it was clear that Voyager was just another TNG/TOS clone, I lost interest. The poorly written episodes were just the nails in the coffin for me...
    I love deadlines - I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by
    - The late Douglas Adams

Originally posted by Jonathan Talbot
    Ah Yes, Space 1999, Rember it well, Have the Four Episodes they released on Video too. It is nice to take a trip back in time to what Sci-FI use to be and what it is now. BTW does anyone rember the other program that was on, that used the same sets but insted they shoot Down UFO's...
    It was called....

wait for it...

UFO

Yup...

Fun show, more action than Space 1999
    Captain Zymmer
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter accusations...

Boy aren't I a Bright one... DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jonathan Talbot.
    Medical Officer
    "First Away Team Mission... Beaming down to a Hostile Planet... Captain Kirk is leading the Away Team... I am wearing a red shirt... No Fear!!! Unknown Crew Member

Re: Re: Old fogies like us

Originally posted by Thorn

S1999 how many know what that is or better yet have seen it?
    I too remember Space 1999. A show I positively loved as a kid. I even own a few of the video releases. Good old Martin Landau

It's funny, I recently mentioend this show in another thread. Some of those old Space 1999 stories could be adapted into quite good Trek adventures. Something I've been meaning to do for ages.

And yes, I rememebr UFO too. Only ran for one season. Was supposed to get a second season, but eventually they decided to make a new show. And the sets they built for the second season were instead used for the new show. Space 1999.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.