Thread: That's the Captain's chair...

I worked for Section 31 and all I got was this stupid T-shirt!

Post That's the Captain's chair...

I was recently thinking that there was something missing from the Star Trek Universe. Bars...

I was reading one of the New Frontier books, and this bar was in it, so I introduced it in one of my games, and my players expanded on it, adding some details and the like.

Strange New Worlds: Motto “Explore Us”

Strange New Worlds would have been considered at one time, a hole-in-the wall beer joint. It’s a dive for spacers, and fleet, and not the kind of place that you take tourists or the kids. In fact civilians, tourists, and fleet groupies, and most media types are just not welcome.

Not that they would want to go there. Strange New Worlds is just not that attractive; windowless, weathered walls, and tucked between several buildings in the old section of San Francisco.

Inside it is all about space. Decorated with Starfleet paraphernalia, “Worlds’ has been around for as long as anyone can remember.

On the walls are framed photos and holos of the great ships of the fleet. A picture signed by the captain of the Daedalus, a couple of vacsuited figures working on Spacedock waving at the camera, Utopia Planitia hanging in geostationary orbit over the crescent of Mars.

There are dedication plaques salvaged from ships that had been decommissioned or destroyed, ornaments from worlds throughout the Federation are set about the bar's interior. A collection of bladed weapons from dozens of primitive worlds is displayed against a red cloth behind a protective glass barrier, framed by an old UESPA flag and a tattered UFP pennant.

Behind the long oak-top bar is a collection of photos of various Starfleet Captains and notables; many of them signed by their subjects, some famous, some unknown, some infamous, some of them laying up a two-corner shot on one of the pool tables in the back.

The players in my game always meet by a table in the back where a fragmented and blackened two-meter shard of metal hangs bolted against the wall. Local legend places it as a fragment of a Romulan warship taken down during the Earth-Romulan war. An elaborate trophy case holds the broken remains of a Klingon Bat'leh recovered from a wrecked hulk from The Battle of Donatu V in 2242.

In short, Strange New Worlds radiates years, decades, of tradition.

In my Trek Universe this is where the crew usually finds themselves meeting while on Earth, and everyone knows their name…

Just looking for some people to share any of the famous establishments from their Trek universes, because Quark's is simply not enough.

Brian K

[This message has been edited by Brian K (edited 12-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Brian K (edited 12-16-2000).]

Cool

What a great idea, and a nice tip of the hat to our RPG roots - the tavern as PC gathering/launching place!

And the best part, it's not a holodeck program

Wow Brian...that's great!

It's nice to see that the roleplaying staple, the bar as a meeting/entertainment spot, hasn't been lost in the future!

I think I might incorporate it into my next Trek campaign, as it would add some really nice flavor during Earth visits.

Thanks for telling us about it!

Greg

------------------
    Recently awarded the coveted "Pink Elephant" from Steve Long, for a new starship name...and out of pity!

Just don't accept any missions that are brought to your attention by the mysterious cloaked figure in the corner.

Nice write-up. I've got an idea for something similar on Andoria. Let me put some thought into it, and I'll post it sometime in the not-too-distant future.

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

That's a nice specific example of a bar, but bars in general have been in Trek from the beginning. There was one on the Starbase where Kirk was tried for murder (Court Martial), one on Argelius (Wolf in the Fold), Deep Space Station K-7 (Trouble with Tribbles), and the one Bones tried to book passage to the Mutara Sector (ST III). [I may have missed a couple, but you get the idea.]

------------------
    Deo Vindice!

Yeh there are a few bars about and every ship should have a 'Ten Forward'!
    Though most federation bars (at least ship ones/starfleet) would serve synth-thesol.

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator