Thread: A Betazoid Martial Arts Style?

Question A Betazoid Martial Arts Style?

I recall reading somewhere (or perhaps seeing in an episode, I'm not for certain) mention of a martial arts style practiced by Betazoids, which uses their Psionic skills (I would presume Receptive Empathy and Telepathy) to predict an opponents attack (among other things, I would imagine).

I'm curious to know if anyone has tried to develop this in game-mechanic terms (if it exists at all). Personally, I think that it would make for an interesting developmental aspect for a Betazoid character (I've never played one, but a member of my group is interested).

So, if anyone has any ideas or thoughts on the matter, I'd certainly be interested to hear about them. Additionally, I'm not for certain if a Betazoid sourcebook was ever planned by LUG (maybe Steve could let us in on that), but I'd be interested to know how they would have handled this issue.

Thanks!

Greg

------------------
    Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay.

The worst is Death...

Death shall have his day.

[This message has been edited by Greg Davis (edited 12-24-2000).]

I think it is mentioned in the species description of Betazoids in the core book.
    But if you want get some information on the martial art in action read Imzadi II. Lwaxana Troy tries to teach it to Worf. I recomend reading Imzadi first, so you get some of the back story.

------------------
    "Computer, end program..."

LUG never actually "planned" a Betazoids book. Ross and I both wanted to do one. Christian was skeptical about it. S. John Ross and I both expressed interest in writing such a book. But that's as far as it got.

Here's the martial art I came up with for my Betazoid character. It probably won't format well in this window, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

TASSA’AKAI

The Akai

The akai is is the Betazoid collapsible fighting baton. Typically about 3.75 cm (1.5 inches) in diameter, when fully extended it is 50-60 cm long. When not in use, it can be collapsed to 10 cm in length; some fighting maneuvers performed with it take advantage of this property to add the momentum of the extending stick to the blow.

Size: Up to 60 cm long
    Mass: .6 kg
    Accuracy: 6
    Block: +1
    Damage: 3+2d6

Tassa’Akai

Meaning, roughly speaking, “Harmony of Mind and Weapon,” Tassa’Akai is a Betazoid fighting style which uses the akai, or Betazoid collapsible fighting baton. The style relies on rapid movement, precision strikes from unusual angles, and dodging, not on brute strength or direct attack.

Those facts, by themselves, would do little to set Tassa’Akai apart from dozens of other martial arts styles from around the Federation. What makes Tassa’Akai unique is its reliance on the practitioner’s psionic powers to improve his fighting skills (thus, the style can only be learned to full effect by those with certain Psionic Skills). The fighter uses his psionic abilities to semi-subconsciously determine what his opponent will do next — where he plans to dodge to or block, how he plans to attack, and so forth. He then reacts to that maneuver almost before his foe has consciously conceived of it, which gives him a substantial advantage. Watching two skilled tassa’akailar fight is almost like watching a ballet, albeit one with deadly intent.

In game terms, a Tassa’Akai fighter with Receptive Empathy or Receptive Telepathy can made a Moderate (6) Test with that Skill every round he uses Tassa’Akai. This is an Immediate Action, but can only be performed once per round against a single target. If the target has Mind Shield, the Test becomes an Opposed Test, but remains an Immediate Action. If the fighter succeeds with his Test, the Difficulty of his next Tassa’Akai maneuver is reduced by 1. The bonus only applies for the round in which the Test was made; it cannot be “saved” until the next round.

TASSA’AKAI
    Basic Maneuvers
    Action Difficulty Damage Notes
    Duna’ras (Feint) Special +3 Regarded as dishonorable trickery by many warriors, this blow fools the opponent, creating an opening which it then exploits. The opponent makes a Routine (5) Tassa’Akai or Intellect Test to detect the feint. If he succeeds, the attack has a Difficulty of 9; if he fails, the Difficulty is 6.
    Kel Azra (Blunt Attack) 6 Special The character strikes his opponent with the blunt or dull part of an edged weapon, doing the weapon’s damage as Stun Damage.
    Kurais Azra (Crescent Strike) 8 +3
    Onezh (Block) N/A N/A Parries hand-to-hand attack (if attacker is armed, character using Block may need to use a weapon to block). The character rolls a Tassa’Akai Test to establish a Difficulty for hitting him with such attacks.
    Sar Azra (Side Strike) 7 +2
    Shel Azra (Jab) 6 +1
    Ton Azra (Power Strike) 9 +4

Advanced Maneuvers
    Action Difficulty Damage Notes
    Daath Azra (Flick-Strike) 7 +3 While striking with unextended akai, the fighter flicks his wrist in a special way, causing the weapon to extend and add the momentum of the extension to the force of the blow.
    Teshtar (Riposte) N/A N/A Parries armed hand-to-hand attacks. The character rolls a Tassa’Akai Test to establish a Difficulty for hitting him with such attacks. If the attack fails (i.e., the block succeeds), then in the next round the character may make a Slash or Thrust attack with a +2 bonus to his Test Result; furthermore, he automatically obtains Initiative over that opponent in the next round. If the character chooses to use an attack other than Slash or Thrust, these benefits do not apply.
    Zor Azra (Skilled Attack) Special +2 The practitioner makes a special attack with his weapon. Although difficulty to execute properly, this maneuver is equally difficult for the target to block. If the target attempts to block; use the lower of 8 or the Block’s Test Result when determining the Difficulty Number for this maneuver.

Special Techniques: Akai Sharais (“Akai Cloud,” +1 bonus to Onezh); Sinuous Pattern (+1 bonus for one Azra maneuver of player’s choice); Thunderbolt Strike (+1 damage for Ton Azra)

Requirements: Receptive Empathy or Telepathy 2 or higher

"She can see things before they happen. That's why she seems to have such quick reflexes. It's a Betazoid trait." [/Qui-gon Jinn voice]

You da man, Steve. I just printed out this thread to show to one of my players who runs a Betazoid and hasn't learned any hand-to-hand skills yet. Thanks.

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

Thanks Steve! That's just what I was looking for!

Greg

------------------

The worst is Death...

I think that applying broad generalizations to an entire species doesn't work real well. I have no doubt that many, if not most, Betazoids wouldn't use their powers on someone without permission. But in combat, as far as many people are concerned, all bets are off.

There's also the question of what amounts to "improper use of psionic abilities," and what constitutes the use of a natural sense. Asking a Betazoid to turn off all of his telepathic abilities, even the ones that just tell him another person's most open surface thoughts, could very well be like asking a human fighter to keep his eyes shut during the combat.

Of course there are undoubtedly some Betazoids who, for whatever reason, prefer to make freer use of their powers. Arguably Lwaxana Troi falls into that category.

Additionally, at least for purposes of sporting competitions, all the fighters involved would tacitly be giving their permission. Perhaps Betazoid ethical perceptions extend that to fighting in general -- "If you get in a fight with a Betazoid, you're impliedly permitting him to read your mind and use what he sees there to kick your ass."

Steve Long

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

I'll have to bear this in mind...I have a Betazoid character in my group, and he's about to come across combat training in his Academy classes...

------------------
    Why do banks charge you an "insufficient funds" fee on money they already know you don't have?

Wow... I really like that style. My next counselor will use that instead of Akido... if I ever get to play a character again ( There are some downsides to being a good Narrator!

Hmmmm... perhaps my next villan will be a rogue Betazoid....

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

I like the idea of this telepathically-aided martial art, but doesn't it run in the face of Betazoid philosophy? I thought Betazoids were culturally repulsed by the idea of scanning someone's mind without permission? Granted, in the interests of self-preservation I'd certainly use it...

------------------
    "Captain? Is something wrong?"

"I just had the most terrible news. I have to attend the Annual Admirals' Dinner.
    I've faced Borg, Romulans and battle-crazed Jem'Hadar, but nothing compares to this."

Captain Matt Hunter, USS Tempest

Lightbulb

My Betazoid has it!

Geesh, did that ever sound like a television endorcement!

I've never gotten/had a reason to use it (not much use in using a staff to beat up the Borg, for example), but my character as lots of "color" skills -- among them his zen-style Betazoid martial arts.

Can't wait to surprise my girlfriend with it!

Don

Originally posted by Don:
    ...but my character as lots of "color" skills -- among them his zen-style Betazoid martial arts.
    Don has mentioned one of the reasons that I had asked about the Betazoid martial arts, as the player in my group who was interested wanted the skill as a "fleshing out" (it's not as gross as it sounds! ) skill.

She hasn't seen it yet, as she's gone for Christmas, but I'm certain she'll want to check it out as soon as she gets back.

Greg

------------------

The worst is Death...

Talking

Originally posted by Greg Davis:
    Don has mentioned one of the reasons that I had asked about the Betazoid martial arts, as the player in my group who was interested wanted the skill as a "fleshing out" (it's not as gross as it sounds! ) skill.
    Aside from its usefulness in combat, I've personally taken the stance of the fighting style as more of a zen/medatative focus. Something the character does, in his off time, to focus the mind. (And my character has lots of reasons to focus and hone his psionic skills.)

That said, I've never actually used it in play, not that's a big deal to me. I got to use my Athletics (Orbital Skydiving) however, as actually part of a mission, so I'm thrilled that at least one of my "color" skills got used.

Back to the topic at hand, the one thing I have a hard time working this in with my character is that the best way to practice this style is with another person. You can't focus your mind on a hologram too effectively. So, my question is, on the ship, who do you beat up on? (I've got someone in mind...)

Don

Originally posted by Don:
    So, my question is, on the ship, who do you beat up on?
    Might I suggest a stoic Vulcan who can take a beating well?

Either that, or another Betazoid. Personally, though, I think that it would probably work best with another Psionic character, and that, given their physical prowess (in general) a Vulcan would be an excellent choice.

Just explain that it would be illogical to practice psionic techniques against someone who isn't psionically talented.

Logic, it get's them every time!

Greg

------------------

The worst is Death...

Klingons might be hard to fight using this art (granted, they're tough opponents anyway). Consider - you're trying to read the surface thoughts of a being from a warrior species who's extremely angry - it would have to be difficult to concentrate on fighting when you're sensing all that aggression and fury. I'm sure I read somewhere that telepaths don't like reading Klingons simply because of all that aggression in their thoughts...

------------------
    "Captain? Is something wrong?"

"I just had the most terrible news. I have to attend the Annual Admirals' Dinner.
    I've faced Borg, Romulans and battle-crazed Jem'Hadar, but nothing compares to this."

Captain Matt Hunter, USS Tempest

Betazoids find reading Klingons distateful, not difficult. I would think it's a cultural thing, rather than a physiological one... kinda like having to watch Mad Max too may times.

OTOH it might be hard to pick out their specific intent/ next move when they're really worked up...

OTOH again, the Betazoids probably only actually use this art for-real against beings so violent that not even a Betazoid can reason with them... so they probably practice it somehow to get used to the feeling.

Maybe they have some kind of "Psi projector" to use with the holodeck?

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain