Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transporters and latinum

Originally posted by Red:
    I was under the impression that plant metter had been replicated successfully but that kind of animal (including sentients) was difficult to replicate.

Red

Well, you can replicate dead plant and animal matter easily - food replicators do it at least 3 times a day per crewmember!

Replicating a living organism, OTOH, is completely different. This is where it comes down to memory storage capacity and transporter / replicator resolution.

Life processes (according to ST canon) are quantum level events. Storing a pattern for, say, a steak requires only molecular-level resolution - it doesn't matter if there's the occasional error, because a steak is dead anyway.

The reason a living organism can't be replicated is due to the fact that quantum events are random - they are not predetermined. Molecules are molecules - it doesn't matter what the components of a molecule are doing at any particular time, as long as the molecules are there.

You have your liquid suspension of proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, etc - the replicator grabs "x" amount of proteins, "y" amount of lipids, etc, and throws them together to create a steak.

A person, however (or a cow, for that matter), is alive. A living organism's subatomic particles are fluctuating madly according to quantum indeterminancy (yes, I know a steak's are as well, but the pattern is apparently different for a living organism as opposed to non-living matter), and that is what causes life-processes to take place. Without a pattern for those life-processes that the transporter can read, there is no way to reproduce them exactly. Even early transporters, before the development of (according to O'Brien) multi-plexed pattern buffers, didn't get it exactly right every time - occasionally there were tiny, quantum-level errors, which resulted in transporter psychosis.

Trying to store them in a computer is impossible - there's simply too much information. As I demonstrated above, you would require millions of times the memory to store a living organism's pattern. As it is, the limit of ST technology is you can store a pattern for a few minutes in the transporter's pattern buffer.

Also, it is important to remember, when you are beamed, your particles are broken down into energy quanta, transmitted and then reassembled. The transporter doesn't create you out of particles on the transport site - otherwise you wouldn't be beaming back in; a transporter would simply be a device that kills you and makes a replica of you somewhere else.

Yes, occasionally we see Trek canon breaking those rules: Kirk gets a double, as does Riker; Scotty manages to store his pattern for 70 years. In each case, however, there are exceptional circumstances - and as we saw with Relics, it's not a reliable thing, nor is it particularly safe!

------------------
    "May I find you with peace, and leave you with hope."

In Scotty's case, at least they made a reasonable excuse for it. If a transporter is seen as pouring a person through an analogous funnel then he just rigged the funnel to pour into itself continuously. It was by no means data storage, or his friend wouldn't have degraded in there with him.

Riker and Kirk took the odd phenomenon way out, so direct explaination was made as to the physics involved.

Suffice to say Latinum can be transported but not replicated? (actually in most cases I remember the latinum was delivered by ship and or credited through financial institutes.

As for transporters themself like any Trek tech they can do remarkable things like reversing aging with older DNA. (Now if only a lowly crewman patented this

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Isn't Latinum transported in the first episode of DS9, "Emmissary", when Odo pretends to be a bag that holds the Latinum which the Cardassians won at Quarks. The Cardassians beam over and Odo then sabotages their sensors.

Am I right?

Red

------------------
    "Being afraid all of the time of forgetting somebody's name. Not...not knowing what to do with your hands...I mean, I am the guy who writes down things to remember to say when there's a party. And then when he finally gets there, he winds up alone in the corner trying to look comfortable examining a potted plant."
    -Lieutentant Reginald Barclay