Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mapping Trek (Yes Warp Speeds Too)

Wink

We used an expensive mapping application to plot all known star locations within a ceratin radius, added the trek locations and then inserted the political borders with a 3D rendering program. Our final decisions on locations were the result of painstaking study of all posts on the map discussion threads. Without everyone's input, this would have been impossible. The final Fan Consensus map is complete and can be viewed at the following URL...
    http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTri...3/alphamap.gif

Commander Kaplan's idea is one that I use and I believe I've heard from others as well.

I do think there is too much of a tendency to think of the Federation the way that countries are set up today.

Instead, go back a few centuries, to the time of Horatio Hornblower and perhaps a bit further.

Example -- You have in Europe three competing countries that are world powers - France, Spain, and England. They are in a relatively tight area. Yet go across the Atlantic, and you've got various colonies in the Carribean, Mexico, Canada, California, etc. Or move it forward a bit and you have Africa and China "divided" amongst the European powers. (Note that I am not condoning such behavior nor am I suggesting the Federation would be so exploitive, but the Cardassians, Klingons and Romulans might be.)

Originally posted by Dave:
    We used an expensive mapping application to plot all known star locations within a ceratin radius,
    I'd be interested in seeing this data.

------------------
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

Wink

Originally posted by spyone:
    I'd be interested in seeing this data.
    Follow the above link. You'll see I was kidding! I'll be in Norfolk VA next month.

Arrow

I am not sure if this will help, but their is a really cool site devoted Star Trek Cartography. Here is the URL, http://www.stdimension.de/int/Cartography/index.htm

Has some interesting maps, star distances, source material from the episodes.

Hope this helps!!

I guess Dave's joke didn't get quite the laugh we were hoping
    But seriously in a 3d sense it might prove plausible.
    If the 2d maps we've seen are right, then its possible the other major powers extend under/through the middle of the federation (not seen due to a direct face down 2d image). Thus they could all be close for the dominion wars, explaining the distances we've heard. And the idea of bajor and such in neutral territory surrounded by major powers... well could we say WWII

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Mind you though, we're still collecting data and these boards/posts are proving most useful.
    To the klingon issue: Maps from all over the net have the klingons in majority at the top of the romulans and not the other way round which is supposedly TNG canon position.
    While the Klingons on top seemed to be a almost canon TOS position; many people have then applied this to post TNG maps.
    Now what i want to know is who's rooting for which side?
    Perhaps one (romulans on top) can be a 2d top view while the other (klingon on top) is a side view. Put them together in 3d and both win!

------------------

The Cardassians have certainly had more contact with the Klingons than with the Romulans, so abandoning canon, I would say make CAR consecutive to KLI and not to ROM. I seem to remember reading in a novel or somewhere that the Romulans are farther rimward. If you have a very small federation, than Vulcan's position in the rimward direction could be taken into account. I also like the idea for the canonical orientation of alternating patches of Klingon and Federation around the rimward end, there could be a pathway entirely within Klingon space in that direction, or perhaps nether KLI nor FED prevents the other from passing through their territories in that region. But the rimward romulans and coreward klingons sounds best to me.

Well as to expanding for the feds in the early days. What if they had decent subspace telescopes and such. They detect multiple planets around stars ripe for colonization. Such as Deneb 5+ and of course Rigel with 12+. These could/should have been early targets ripe for colonization. Especially Sun(sol) like stars.

------------------

Well i just posted on the Fan SourceBook thread that i'd be interested about a source book based on mapping ie sectors, space phenomonon etc.
    Would i have the support and team work here to make it possible?
    Hopefull i could count on a few friendly faces

------------------

I've started using the Internet Stellar Database to figure out Sector 001 and the 26 adjacent sectors. I'll have to check the sky coordinates against the cartesian ones because at least some don't match. It may be as simple as the guy left out a negative sign here or there. I guess though if someone wants to distribute a map from the data they probably should go to the site themselves, since I think I would need some software I don't have. I plan to do sector templates for each and detail the systems that I decide are important.

Well fill free to share and share alike

------------------

Right whats everyones take on the old STARTREK MAPS?
    Cause im starting to use mine a bit now. And wanted to know if they are even semi-canon?
    They were made using (i think Klaus map data) and so have some very old data. Ie at the time Deneb was 1488 ly from Sol. With Hipparcos data it is actually 3227ly (thereabouts).
    Also from some calcs, Romulus is 566 ly from Sol in the maps (off cordinates).

------------------

No, they're not canon. Canon for Trek is defined as what you've seen on-screen in the movies and the four live-action series. Period.

The biggest problem I have with the Star Trek Maps is that since Larry Niven adapted his Known Space story The Soft Weapon for TAS in the form of The Slaver Weapon, the creator of the maps tried to shoe-horn all of Known Space into the Trek universe, and then decided to throw in half of the rest of SF, including Darkover... One or two might have been amusing, a cute in-joke like the reference to Alderan in an early DS9 episode. Including everything crossed the line into making the maps merely an egregious exercise in self-indulgence.

That said, if the maps please you and you want to use them, go for it. You don't need my approval of them to find them useful. It's your game, after all.

Okay so canon was the best word I could use how about respected?

------------------