Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mapping Trek (Yes Warp Speeds Too)

Cool Mapping Trek (Yes Warp Speeds Too)

Well since various threads in this area have grown and diversified. I have chosen to bring them all together under one roof.
    As a rough rundown on the fan consensus stuff read on:

* A large federation seems the most common choice
    * The Warp Charts need modifing to keep in line with a large federation. The Chi factor from TOS seems to be coming along with the idea of by-passing matter in subspace and thus quicker travels
    * Sectors seem to be going the 20 ly cubed although perhaps some contention on where sector 001 lies with respect to the alpha/beta quadrant border
    * The other races? Well not much so far. The RNZ is in hot contention but to fit with the Romulan War its looking like 60-100 lys away from Earth/vicinity.
    So where to from here? More discussion!
    Definately in the arrangement of the various races in 2/3D.
    So this will 'hopefully' become the main post for mapping now. So jump on the bandwagon and i'll see ya soon!

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

You want the other races? You got 'em. When first reading the DS9 toolkit, I thought the Cardies were about the same size as Bajor sector (overlapping) but now I say a few times as large but no where near the size of the Romulans, Klingons, or Federation. The Romulans could be larger than the Federation, but I say for now that the Klingons are maybe half the size of the Federation. I half remember the TOS Gorn episode saying they were just one system, and of course the Tholian issue is extremely complicated. Perhaps most of their space is in another dimension.

Who Shares a Border With Who!
    Ok, Federation with: Romulans,Klingons,Cardasians,Gorn, Tholians?

Romulans:
    Klingons,Federation, Cardassions? (close), Breen (close)

Klingons:
    Federation,Romulans,Cardassions? (near enough)

------------------

You forgot the Ferengi. They would share a border with the Federation too.

The Ferengi don't have to border anyone. Although they are within 60 ly of Cardassion space.
    The Bajor sector in the DS9 toolkit; is that straight out of DS9 TM or similar to the 'on screen maps'. Which are a little different.
    Yes the klingons would be a stretch. In 3D i'm thinking
    (top view)- standard TNG map 2d
    ----Romulans
    Federation
    ----Klingons
    (side view)- TOS 2d with Klingons on top
    ----Kling
    Fed
    ---Rom
    Thus you compromise with everyone, link things 3d and with a twist and a stretch link everyone near cardassian space. Thus the 2d maps of the fed are overlapping klingon and romulan space as they stretch over toward the carddies.
    'Sounds good doesn't it'

------------------

The Ferengi take up only a small part of Bajor sector, and may not be right up against anyone. The Fed does border each that you listed, Romulans I guess you've got right, Giving history, yeah, the Klingons would have to be near the Spoonheads, but LUG placement doesn't seem to fit that. Maybe the Klingons stretch over or under the Fed to approach the Spoonheads, but that would be quite some stretch. You could violate LUG and say the Klingons are centered over or under. Yeah, the Rom and Fed touch the Klingons. But you knew that. I'd put the Prime Directive ISC bordering the Rommies and Klingons.

Originally posted by Commander Kaplan:
    You forgot the Ferengi. They would share a border with the Federation too.

There is no canon evidence of that. It is quite possable that mutually unclaimed space seperates the two, or even Cardassian Space. That the Ferengi operate near to federation Space does not mean they control of claim the space in which they operate.

------------------
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

The toolkit map I believe the only difference is that it's cropped.
    For myself I want the Klingons to have a wormhole-type thing with the Spoonheads, or say they just met eachother after the Klingons made nice with the Fed.
    And something must be done to allow for DS9 travel times. By the way, did you notice how quickly Keiko got to Rigel and back in some episode?
    And I agree wholeheartedly with Spyone.

I agree with using the Chi factor in the Warp Speed formular, BUT I only use one tenth of the factor...thus the average around Fedeartion space is about 12.58. I also tend to think that they've got it wrong about the more mass their is in normal space the less there would be in subspace becuase we've seen on a number of occasions ships dropping out of warp to enter Nebulas and such. If the Chi factor was correct according to the old maps, they'd be looking for nebulas to cut down travel time astronimcally. So I suggest that the Chi factor represents the absence of matter in the real universe...the less matter obstructing the warp engines, the faster they go.

Who knows MancerBear, I read it as I saw it.
    Isn't 12.58 a little low! I'd personaly go for a 100's figure. Mind you i haven't calculated anything with 12.58 yet...

------------------

Arrow

Hi again. I haven't translated the article yet, but that's because I became suddenly busy (I'm narrating again after two months of rest! )

I won't go ahead with the Chi factor question, because it is too complicated. Instead, I'll put this spice into the soup: what about mapping the matter concentrations in the galaxy, a la geographical accidents such as mountains and valleys? That would be a nice way of watching in a fast way how space affects warp travel. We can go with a blue/black colors degradé.

Wow, it's amazing what you can invent when you've just woken up.

------------------
    Is this the real life
    or is it just fantasy?

Who borders the Federation? The Tholians still do. The Sheliak do. The Gorn used to (they either still do or they joined).

how do the Klingons reach Cardassia? well, if you extend the Klingons into the Alpha Quadrant along the rimward end of the Federation, they can get mighty close. Bear in mind that the highly crude map in the DS9 Tech Manula shows the Cardassians as rimward of the middle of the Federation, so they are on the same side of that median (perpendicular to the A/B border) as the Klingons. Between the two of them, they can compose almost the entire rimward border of the Federation.

There are other powers that border the federation: Tzenkethi, Talarians....
    The Breen probably don't border the Federation, but hold territory close to the Black Cluster.

I was under the impression that the Federation's rimward space was pretty clear of major interstellar powers.

------------------

Originally posted by SIR SIG:
    I was under the impression that the Federation's rimward space was pretty clear of major interstellar powers.

That..... complicates things.

------------------
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

You are going to run into problems if every power has to border the UFP space and not run into the situation of having powers on the rimward side (which is agreed that they are not there). Too many powers, only X number of places to put them.

I came up with a wacky idea. Laugh all you want, it's just a quick idea. Haven't really played with the idea to see if it's really possible.

In TOS, the Federation was in the midst of expansion. It comes across the Gorn, they have their thing, Feds move on. The Gorn are a small power, so I was thinking that the UFP could have expanded around the Gorn, giving the Gorn their own private chunk of territory, a bubble inside UFP space.

The same could be said about the Talarians, they are a minor power too. Give them a small bubble of space and move on.

The eps. have given us a whole bunch of non-member planets and systems, and they are inside Fed space. You could just treat the Gorn, Talarians, and some of the others as simply non-member systems.

Whaddayathink?