Thread: Photon Torpedoes - how many?

Photon Torpedoes - how many?

The strikefighter stats in the Dominion War Sourcebook states that the strikefighter carries 50 torpedoes but in the write-up they mention that the strikefighter has six single-shot torpedo tubes. So how many torpedoes does the strikefighter carrry...I think its too small to haul 50 torpedoes.

While I agree, that the fighter seems a bit too small to carry 50 torpedoes, there is no conflict with the number of launchers and torpedoes carried:

6 one-shot launchers means just that there are 6 launchers with a spread of 1 each, ie. each launcher can fire 1 torp per attack, and not that the fighter only carries 6 torpedoes.

The total number of torpedoes should therefore IMHO be something divisable by 6.

I don't have my copy handy, but I also want to ask, does it carry full size or microtorps?

50 full size seems a bit steep for a ship the size of a runabout. BUT 50 microtorps would be about right, it could carry them in slings similar to the zuni rockets used in Viet Nam, It would just be limited to a spread of one per launcher per turn.

Nope, no micro-torpedoes. These are the full-sized hit-em-really-hard photon torpedoes. Just looked it up.

I agree that 50 seems rather high. If you don't like it just change it. 18 or 24 would sound reasonable to me.
    According to Spacedock the torpedoe module of a Danube-class runabout typically comes with 4 photorps. If you make all four modules available torpedo modules you can therefore outfit a runabout with 16 photon torpedoes maximum.
    Compare that with a strike fighter and IMHO 24 would be a good way to go.

Arrow

However, if you look @ the spacedock rules, 50 works . . . check out the stats yourself

More to beat down desenting Romulans with

(Who ever said I can't talk smack about the game else where?)

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

I think 50 works best. It'd be silly to have six launchers and only 12 or 18 torpedoes to fire from them. I mean, storing 10 torps costs 1 SU in spacedock, and 1 SU could mean anything from a phaser relay to the captain's quarters.

But that may not work for you. It's not some holy rule carved in stone, if you don't like it, change it! That's what Berman&Braga do, isn't it?
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

Originally posted by Robbert Raets

But that may not work for you. It's not some holy rule carved in stone, if you don't like it, change it! That's what Berman&Braga do, isn't it?
    Now that's not fair: Saying you can change what you want but then comparing that with B&B.
    My initial reaction was: "What! If B&B are doing this I certainly wont!"

But I don't think 6 launchers with 3 or 4 torps each is silly. I would imagine that like todays fighter planes with 3 or 4 missiles on one hardpoints with 5 hardpoints on a plane.
    And having a lot of launchers with only a few torpedoes makes some sense, since damage to one or two launchers will still leave you with some launchers to continue fighting.

Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom, Earth, Sector 001
    QUOTE]Originally posted by Lancer

I don't think 6 launchers with 3 or 4 torps each is silly. I would imagine that like todays fighter planes with 3 or 4 missiles on one hardpoints with 5 hardpoints on a plane.
    And having a lot of launchers with only a few torpedoes makes some sense, since damage to one or two launchers will still leave you with some launchers to continue fighting.
    [/QUOTE]

This fighter is 30.2 by 28.5 and has 2 decks, at that size there should be ample room for 50 torps.
    -------------------------
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

"In time of war, the law falls silent"

Admiral Ross to Dr Bashir

Originally posted by Captain Leana Craig
    This fighter is 30.2 by 28.5 and has 2 decks, at that size there should be ample room for 50 torps.
    The "problem" is that an SU is just an abstract meassure for gameplay and construction purposes. That leads to some situations where the realism of the rules seems open to debate.

I have not problem agreeing to disagree on this matter. In fact I wouldn't want the Vanguard's fighters going into battle with only 18 torps each.