Thread: Help!

Exclamation Help!

I have a pair of questions about the original ICON starship combat rules.First of all,in the TNG rules it is said that starships can have one or two shields,but there arenīt any ships noted as having the two shields array.The unique ships noted as having them appear in the Dominion war sourcebook.Is it a mistake?i think so because the ships in TNG have more than enough energy to run all their systems,fire all their weapons & use two shield in a round,& with only one shield there is a lot extra energy to use strenghtening weapons īs fire & so on.
    My second question is:shuttles & fighters are in a different scale than starships,arenīt they?if not,try to confront a galaxy class with four fighters.There is almost a 50% probabilty of success for either side,with a difference:if Galaxy class wins,it has killed 12 people,but if fighters win,they have killed more than a thousand people!
    Well,i would like to express myself better,but thatīs the best i can do in english.

Well the scale thing is covered with the size rule. Size influences the Structure Points you have, i.e. the larger the ship the more it can take. So its much harder to destroy a galaxy class than a fighter.
    If you refer to the ships in the Dominion War Sourcebook, I have to say that I have reduced each ships shields, because they were in no comparison to the shields of ships n the ordinary books, but that is personal taste.
    And yes each shp has two shields, one aft and one front. For each you have to pay the energy ( as said in the rules ). that means a Galaxy Class has shields 60 ( 80 ). So you have to spend 120 power to bring up shields on both sides at a rate of 60. Starbases have four shields so you have to spend for four parts. However I tend to cover shields with one 'payment' of power because there are ships you can't even afford to get their shields fully up ( see the Saber Class with 130 power ) which I think is nonsense, why shouzld Starfleet built them that way?
    So its up to you I think.

By the way your English is good.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

thanks farrealmer!Yeah!i knew they had a pair of shields!but now there is another problem:do fighters & shuttles have "dual shields" also?and what about movie era ships?i say that because in TOS rulebook it is stated that starships have only one shield if nothing else is stated.& i still think shuttles and fighters have too many structure & shield points...

I think that is personal opinion, although I too think that shuttles are overpowered conerning shields and weapons.
    And it looks like you misread the TOs thing. On page 140 under Defensive Systmes you'll find that they say, most ships only have one type of defensive system - deflector shields, i.e. they do not have e.g. point defense lasers. Nearly at the bottom they say that most starships have two shields forward and aft.
    Hope everything is clear now

ups!this memory of mine...a friend borrowed TOS rulebook a long time ago(in a galaxy not so far away...).
    By the way,did you have make any changes in shuttles and fighters stats,or at least have a good idea about it?

I tend to reduce shields to twenties, e.g. 24 as standard and phasers are only Type IV. ( Type III would be a phaser rifle, which I thought would be too less )