Thread: "Line of Sight," for Psionic abilities...

"Line of Sight," for Psionic abilities...

Quick question for y'all - in my campaign we play "on the viewer" as being "line of sight" when it comes to the difficulty roles for psionic receptive/projective characters - it certainly seemed to work that way for Troi on the series.

Opinions? Your own thoughts? Do you do this also?

The Doc
    So you think, 'Might as well,
    Dance a Tango to Hell,
    at least I'll have Tangoed at all.'
    -- "Rent," Jonathan Larson

If you believe that psionic force is part of the visible Electro-Magnetic field then you can read minds solely through a video signal. Personally, I give them the +4 range penalty and if they really want to know, roll well (I hate Psi powers). Alternatively, I allow them to try to use Medical Science (Psychology) which is probably about as effective as Troi at long range. Or they just talk and I act nervous, hesitate, or shifty and they can make of that what they will.

Canon would dictate that a viewscreen Empathy roll should be quite possible if the character is an accomplished psion. It really depends on what the character wants to accomplish. I would say that receptive Empathy shouldn't be too terribly difficult, especially if the character has psychology training. I would use what I call a "fuzzy result" system, in which they simply roll the dice and tell you the result, and you respond based on the roll. For instance, a result of less than 6 might yield nothing, and from then on the result goes from vague to fairly precise (depending on the roll.)

Receptive Telepathy should work similarly, but be a little more difficult, since the goal is to pick up on thoughts rather than feelings. Anything projective or telekinetic would then receive the full range modifiers. Psionics isn't exact, so a lot of it is based on the Narrator's judgement.
    Isis! Isis!
    Ra! Ra! Ra!