Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whatever happened to the First Federation?

Post Whatever happened to the First Federation?

You know, the the starfaring culture depicted in "The Corbomite Maneuver" (TOS). If I'm not mistaken, that's the first episode of the series, when the producers hadn't decided on a name for the future UFP. The Fisrt Federation's flagship was the Fesarius.

I have never heard any other mention of them ever since. Does anyone know anything?

------------------
    "As long as you can laugh, you are not
    defeated."

–- Jack Vance

I think there may have been a couple of First Federation delegates on their way to Babel in the "Journey to Babel" TOS episode. Other than that, I don't remember hearing anything else about them. Did you have something in mind?

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

Originally posted by Sarge:
    Did you have something in mind?
    I don't know. They just poppepd up in my mind today. If I recall, the Fesarius was pretty powerful then. Kind of makes me wonder how they would be by TNG time.

------------------
    defeated."

–- Jack Vance

Lightbulb

maybe they have been absorbed into the current federation

------------------
    Push the Button Frank

From memory their ship was of the order of them to constitution as E-D to Borg Cube.
    Well not quite that big but youo get the idea.

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Nope, the huge ship was only a decoy. The real ship was tiny, but very powerful.

Originally posted by Fred:
    You know, the the starfaring culture depicted in "The Corbomite Maneuver" (TOS). If I'm not mistaken, that's the first episode of the series, when the producers hadn't decided on a name for the future UFP. The Fisrt Federation's flagship was the Fesarius.

I have never heard any other mention of them ever since. Does anyone know anything?
    They play a part in the most recent William Shatner Trek novels, where they are referred to as having withdrawn from galactic politics after their technology was abused by one of their client races.

This is consistant with the bare mention of them in the TOS RPG, but they really aren't referred to anywhere else in the official series.

MikeC

Question

Fred, just out of curiosity, did you think of them because of the two First Federation cards in the STCCG expansion Mirror, Mirror? I just ask because, not having seen many TOS episodes, that's the only way I know anything about it. Geez, ever notice how much Ron Howard's bro Clint gets around? That funny looking guy was an actor even as a kid!

------------------
    Tony Fanchi
    Scotty "Laddy, don't you think you should rephrase that?"
    Korax "You're right. I didn't mean to say the Enterprise should be hauling garbage, I meant to say it should be hauled away as garbage!"
    [The Trouble With Tribbles/Trials and Tribbilations]

Not really, Admiral. I don't have the CCG. I just thought of them out of the blue. The problem is that there's so little known about them, that it's hard to speculate. I would have to, at least, see the episode again, which might be possible since all 4 series are in syndication down here.

------------------
    defeated."

–- Jack Vance

One of my written mini-campaigns deals with this issue and will be run eventually.

The First Federation as a declining species have become disillusioned with the state of the Milky Way Galaxy. The increase in the violence and the wars, ongoing threats to their own territory have caused them to vote to withdraw themselves from interaction with the rest of the Known Powers.

They have shut down, removed or disabled most of their advanced technology from their original worlds and have left the Milky Way Galaxy for a time undetermined. They have asked and the UFP has agreed to administer their worlds, protecting what remains from abuse.

Furthermore, the UFP is allowed to establish a few small colonies on certain worlds. This is where the PCs come in.

There assignment is to explore this region and catalogue it in detail to make certain that everything is safe for colonization and to have a better idea what needs to be safe-guarded.

The PCs will get to explore an ancient civilization where many of its centers of living are still in decent order to attempt to unravel some of the mystery of the First Federation.

They will have to deal with pirates, Section 31 agents, renegade Klingons and other Powers attempts to discern what may be of value and take it for their own use.

Beyond these threats and possible other "traps" and "safeguards" left by the First Federation will be a couple other major surprises including the introduction of two unknown minor stellar powers that plan to expand into this territory.

This mini-campaign was designed to answer the question of what ever happened to the First Federation while allowing me the creative freedom to have the PCs extensively explore another culture, unravelling its mysteries without the benefit of a guide and yet without it being a truly dead civilization.

Regards,
    CKV.

The First Federation has also been mentioned in the non-canon TOS books "The Great Starship Race" (in which one of their ships competed in an interstelar 'race') and "Probe," in which one of their ships was helping the Federation track the Whale Probe as it left Federation space heading towards Romulan territory.

Originally posted by Capt. K. Vaughn:
    One of my written mini-campaigns deals with this issue and will be run eventually.
    Is this TNG or TOS-Movie?

------------------
    defeated."

–- Jack Vance

<< Originally posted by Capt. K. Vaughn:

One of my written mini-campaigns deals with this issue and will be run eventually. >>

> Is this TNG or TOS-Movie?

It will begin in the waning days of the last couple of months of the Dominion War (Season 7 DS9) and progress through Season 6 & 7 of Voyager.

Regards,
    CKV

Cool

The First Federation was briefly named in Marvel´s Graphic novel"Star trek:debt of Honor".I think they have joined the Federation just before the TNG era.I dont´t think they could have joined before,because Federation technology would have experienced an unprecedent boom.

Wink

Originally posted by Fred:

There are a couple of intriguing mentions of the past history of the First Federation in the LUGTrek supplement All Our Yesterdays. They are mentioned as having fought a war against the First Orion Empire 35,000 years ago (before the 24th-century timeframe), as having explored the Tagus system ruins 18,000 years ago, and as beginning a long decline 3,600 years ago after most of its ships were destroyed in an otherwise unexplained "Go Lin cataclysm."

I suspect that the LUG guys were planning something for the First Federation from which these references came, but of course that can never see the light now. If we ask very kindly, perhaps a passing ex-LUGnut would tell us.