Thread: Bajorian Religion

Question Bajorian Religion

Just wondering if any of you would be kind enough to give me a "quick review" of the Bajorian religion. I never followed DS9, (I much prefer TNG) but there is a player in the game I am in, who decided to play a Bajorian. The problem is she does not know anything about Bajorian religion. My G.M. asked me to help him and her to find resources and I thoght of you guys. By the way thanks for the help on my last Post "New Captain of a Miranda class ship" and all that.

Re: Bajorian Religion

Originally posted by The Red
    Just wondering if any of you would be kind enough to give me a "quick review" of the Bajorian religion. I never followed DS9, (I much prefer TNG) but there is a player in the game I am in, who decided to play a Bajorian. The problem is she does not know anything about Bajorian religion. My G.M. asked me to help him and her to find resources and I thoght of you guys. By the way thanks for the help on my last Post "New Captain of a Miranda class ship" and all that.
    If you have access to them, some of the many Star Trek magazines, canon from paramount, deal with the Bajoran peoples, and some specifically with their religion.

Basic gist is that they don't consider the wormhole aliens to be aliens, but "the Prophets," gods that guide their people to their ultimate peaceful conclusion. HOwever, there are also "Pah-wraiths," which are pretty nasty Prophets-gone-wrong, who seem to like possessing good guys.

It seems to be a very peaceful religion, spiritual in a compassionate way, the priests of which have access to the orbs - those strange things that popped out of the wormhole ages ago and allow such things as prophetic visions and the like. Their whole religion is shrouded in prophecy, and since said prophecies are often at the inspiration level at least related to the Prophets, they've got a hell of a good record of coming true.

Uh. They have vigils (they light candles for people they've lost, for example), festivals for various reasons (including a nifty one where they write down their troubles/worries/regrets and burn the scrolls in a festival of joy). It's a decidedly equal religion - posts and ranks held by both genders. High spiritual leader is the Kai. Vedeks form a council under the Kai (sort of like priests), and then Ranjen are a lower-rank of faithful.

That's all I really remember off my head...

The Doc
    So you think, 'Might as well,
    Dance a Tango to Hell,
    at least I'll have Tangoed at all.'
    -- "Rent," Jonathan Larson