Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Klingon Couselor

Question Klingon Couselor

I am about to venture into the realm of narrating, and I have ideas for all my player characters except one - a Klingon Counselor. (Yeah, I laughed too when my player came to me with this.)

So, my question is, in any given story how could I get a Klingon Counselor, much less just a counselor in general, involved into the story from session to session?

The only thing I can go by is Deanna Troi, but she didn't "do" much, most of the time "sensing" the intentions of an alien species due to her Betazoid abilities - but I have a Klingon!

Any ideas for my Klingon Counselor "to do" would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Counslors can provide a number of services to a startship vrew, not the least of which is another voice during a Q&A breifing.

Also, counselors provide advice tothe captain, a friend to other crew...

Now as a Klingon...eep...how "klingon" is this klingon?
    Captain Zymmer
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter accusations...

In a universe which strives to go against stereotypes (in the 60's a multiracial crew, in DS9 a Ferengi in Starfleet), why not a Klingon Counselor?

I would try to keep the character Klingon - just because the Klingons are warriors does not mean they are stupid, have not studied psychiatry or other soft sciences. I believe there are studies done today about how soldiers react to combat. The Klingon culture probably does not have a "sit on the couch and talk about it" approach to their problems. Instead, the Klingons are warriors. I would think a Klingon counselor would fight the battles "within".

For a personality, I picture a Klingon counselor as something like a Skald, a teller of tales. A lot of allegory and storytelling going along with his or her counseling. Telling how the great Karan-Gath dealt with a similar problem.

(And if you want an "evil" Klingon counselor, think of TOS Klingons - just add your good comrade political officer from the U.S.S.R... )
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

I can just see him counseling a crew member.

"come on ensign, your buddy John died like a hero protecting you from being eaten by that Delgarian Blood Worm...what's the matter with you (slap) act like a man, act like a warrior, reveal in his honourable death (slap) stop crying like a wuss...go out there and kill, slay and mutilate in his name so that he can enter Sto-Vo-Kor..." (buff)
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King

RE: Klingon Counselor

Yeah, Ghosty,
    the jokes abound in my group... "Having emotional problems? Here, take this pain stick, it will make things better." "Take this Mek'Leth to your hand and call me in the morning." lol.

Cpt. Zymmer - this Klingon isn't very "Klingon". He's more open minded to other cultures and believes the Klingon way isn't the only way.

Dan - that was very helpful! Never in my mind would I "cut" out the Klingon Counselor ( I agree, why not?) - it's what the player wants to play, I just needed some advice how to incorporate him into my episodes. And I would have to agree that a klingon counselor would counsel in terms of a parable. My response to Zymmer was that he isn't very "klingon-y" and your "battle within" gave me an idea that this charcter not only counsels others but deals with his own "inner" warrior (as the character is not your average battle thirsty Klingon). This may make for some interesting games when the "warrior" comes out.

His Klingon Soul

I wrote this adventure for a Half-Klingon who was raised as a human and was unsure of his Klingon heritage. He was the ship's science officer.

During an earlier adventure he had run into his cousin, his mother's brother's son, now the head of his House after the Klingon Civil War. Anyway a few episodes later his cousin is assassinated and members of the family "kidnap" him.

Due to some convoluted politiking, the PC is the heir to the leadership of the House but has to battle his other cousin for the right to lead his house. His cousin is of course your typical blood and guts stone killer while he is a man of peace...a great solo adventure for the PC to discover what it means to be Klingon and to test the "Warrior within".

Just my little suggestion
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King

A Klingon counselor? Why not, I doubt he'd be apt to take the easy methodical well thought through approach. Most likely storytelling and holodeck simulations meant to bring out the issues the subject has.

May be he could have a special Klingon ceremonial garb on the holodeck in a Klingon like "church". A place of meditation and thought.....and then Fighting!

One of my players created a Cairn Counselor, so this doesn't seem so weird to me.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

I kind of like the challenge for this sort of character. I'd be tempted to model the Klingon character off the "Mystic" overlay in the DS9 game and add on some Counselor advanced training. Part of an Officer Exchange program sort of thing. (for Maximum Klingon Fun!)
    My take is that a Klingon Counselor would do a lot of "Confront your fears" type therapy. Quietly, patiently working to find out just what it is that is limiting the character being counselled and working out a way to confront and overcome that fear or block. LOTS of opportunity for HoloDeck guided therapies. Good opportunity for group play too. The Counselor could recommend that a patient face his fears in the company of his friends, both to goad him into standing his ground, and to show that one's friends stand with you in times of need.
    With Klingon society being so Honor conscious, it seems likely that there would be a place for Counselors who help a disgraced warrior to work to regain his Honor. Such a Counselor would show the demoralized warrior where his strengths lie and how to use them to undo the damage to his reputation. Probably a line of work for Mystics, Priests of Kahless and such.

Actually, you could even model some sessions after those "Outward Bound" style encounter courses. Building strength of character by confronting challenges, by learning and using new skills.

There's also the "know thy enemy" factor. A counsellor is skilled in the art of interaction. Someone skilled in interpreting the body language and intent of alien cultures goes a long way in aiding the captain in his "glorious battles." Hey, even just knowing how to interact with new cultures - there's nothing dishonourable about learning about the enemy before you smash him to bits.

The Doc
    So you think, 'Might as well,
    Dance a Tango to Hell,
    at least I'll have Tangoed at all.'
    -- "Rent," Jonathan Larson

Re: Klingon Couselor

Um. . .Crosis. When a Klingon runs out of ammunition they become Ambassadors not Counselors.

O.K. . .must fight urge to be funny. . .must try to provide aid to fellow RPG'er. . .**PMROFL**. . .a Klingon Counsleor! **PMROFL**

O.K. Now that that is out of my system. . .first let me welcome you to the boards! Hum. . .will your sessions involve the Klingon Empire on a regular basis? May be your **he-he**Klingon Counselor can attempt to keep the peace between some Kilingon splinter group and the Federation. Someone to provide expert advice on Klingon behavior/culture to the ships crew.

As far a Troi as a template. . .forget it. As a Klingon s/he will be involved in everything. . .wheither you want them to or not. It is their nature. You should not expect s/he to stay out of a fight or sit by while the captain helps establish a trade treaty between two peaceful worlds. A Klingon**he-he**Counselor will be into everything. . .I see them being underfoot like Nelix; always around with an opinion on everything. And not providing an opinion because s/he is skilled in the issue, but because s/he is Klingon and therefore must know best.

Could be an interesting issue between the CO/XO and the **he-he**Klingon Councelor about the Klingon keeping to her/his **he-he**counceling.

**Sound of REDWOOD's printer printing a copy of Crosis's post to share with others**
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

I can envision a Klingon ship's counselor, but I strongly suspect
    that such a person would be *old* -- too old and battle-scarred
    to be an effective fighter (and thus an effective leader, since the
    "ideal" Klingon leader is "right in the thick of it," leading by
    providing an inspirational example). With *very* rare exceptions,
    a bright young Klingon wouldn't *start* his career as a counselor.
    No self-respecting Klingon would pay any attention to the advice
    of some wet-behind-the-ears goof, with lots of book-learning but
    no hard-earned wisdom. On the other hand, it's very easy to
    envision the crafty old veteran (who has seen how people cope
    with stress, and how they fail to do so) becoming a counselor.

Now...aboard a Federation starship? Hrm. I guess it would
    depend upon where the Klingon comes from. A Klingon raised
    within the Federation, and influenced by its culture, might choose
    psychology as a career from the start -- but if the counselor in
    question is a "transfer" of some kind, with a predominantly
    Imperial-Klingon background, I'd say go with the "crafty old
    veteran" model described above.

In my opinion 'Dr. Phil' (the bald shrink from the Oprah Winfrey show) would make an excellent Klingo counsellor. (If he took steroids for the next five years....)
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

I've seen worse!

Ok, a Klingon Couselor doesn't sound that bad to me, Klingons still express their emotions. One of the PC's in my game made a Vulcan. To date it's been real fun (He needs to leave the room every now and then to laugh his head off, it's hard to stay in character sometimes ). All in all Rovok is one of the most developed characters in the group, I think only two others have more history (Lt. Korien- LUG is the fourth incarnation, and Lt. Venn only because the player is obsesed with character's history).

Too put my two bits in, I say go with the older Klingon concept-, not to old to fight, but old enough to relize his scars are going to catch up with him sooner or later. A warrior/poet, with the wisdom of an empire. Ooh! He could be one of the last of his famely, his reason for leaving his culture. He wants to live long enough to try having another famely to leave behind, to continue his personal legacy. Someone along the lines of Martok's survant, that Klingon butler, on the Rotarran, "...I can remember when the name of Kor truely ment something to people. But not thies children, yes even Martok is a child to us..."
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Like everyone else has said, have fun with the idea. Going against the cultural grain is an ancient and honorable tradition in RPGs.

In my campaign, the ship's counsellor is a Tellarite. His "counselling" sessions are usually arguments, which he subtly guides so that his patient is arguing for the change that he needs. You couldn't find a counsellor more different from Deanna Troi, but he gets the job done. And as a hobby, he practices stand-up comedy. Nobody heckles him twice; he loves to put hecklers in their place.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Originally posted by ghosty
    I can just see him counseling a crew member.

"come on ensign, your buddy John died like a hero protecting you from being eaten by that Delgarian Blood Worm...what's the matter with you (slap) act like a man, act like a warrior, reveal in his honourable death (slap) stop crying like a wuss...go out there and kill, slay and mutilate in his name so that he can enter Sto-Vo-Kor..." (buff)
    I disagree... a Klingon can still be Klingon, yet realize that Klingon solutions don't suit everybody. A Klingon counselor would still have studied the psychology, history, and culture of many species... his bedside manner may be a bit rough.

My favorite PC ever was a counselor. I based him on a Chaplain I knew... one who got down in the weeds with the troops, to better understand their point of view.

His biggest contribultion was leadership... influencing others to acomplish the mission. He wasn't leading from the front... but he assisted and motivated others to get the job done. He also had a wide range of skills, making him able to assist in almost any area.
    “I am a soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

General George S. Patton, Jr.