Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the name of the Strikefighter

Cool Sounds Good!

Sounds good to me, Anton. Commander Aerospace Group. Aerospace Wing. Yeah, I like the sound of that. What do you think, JALU3?
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

Sounds good if you want an official title to go with it. But I'll just keep with traditional for IG usage.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

While we're on the subject, is the CAG a department head or does he/she come under the direction of the Ops officer.
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
    The CAG would be a department head. Everything having to do with the fighters would fall under her auspices; pilots, support crew, ordnance. On naval (US) ships a CAG is usually a captain, along with the chief engineer and the ship's captain. For ST I suppose the rank of commander or captain would suffice on a large carrier, size seven or more. To avoid the confusion of two people with the rank of captain, just call the CAG "CAG" and the captain will be the "Captain." Or you could make the Captain a Commodore.
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!", annonymous American Marine, WWI

"Gravity is a harsh mistress....", The Tick

The CAG on modern US carriers is ranked as Captain because the air group is a separate command from that of the carrier. The carrier CO commands the carrier only he has no direct authority over the air group although the CAG will usually defer to the carrier CO. The battle group commander is the man in charge of both.

The tradition is that only the CO of the ship is entitled to be called Captain. Other captains on board, be they naval or ground forces are given a courtesy promotion to Commodore/Major so as not to commit the ultimate sin of calling anyone but the Skipper Captain. Hence the CAG is usually referred to only as "CAG".

So IMO the CAG on a Akira or El-Dorado carrier would be a Commander or Lieutenant Commander.
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King