Thread: Starship shields powering cost.

Question Starship shields powering cost.

Hi to all, here's my question.
    In the TNG Core rule book, when talking abt. starship shields it is said that any starship has two shields.
    It is said too that for the shields have a basic cost of 1 power point for every 1 shield damage point.
    If you want to extened the damage that can be absorbed by the shield you have to pay 3 power point for every 1 shield damage point.
    If you take a look to Klingon B'Rel class war bird you find this:
    Total Power 150
    Shield Cost 54 [75]
    where [75] is the cost for the very maximum 125% damage points that ONE shield can reach.
    So to reach that power a capt. should shut down every single system aboard. We know Klingons are tough, but IMO they still have the need for something funny as the computers.Thus the cost above is to be considered necessary to power both the shields or to power only one shield?
    I mean with shield up to 100% of their power I have to spend 54 points or 108 points in the case above?
    I'd prefer to continue using the basic combat system, since my players need to become more expert.
    I hope not to have bored you more then necessary.

------------------
    Today is a good day to die

The listed Power cost for shields is for a single shield -- thus, it costs twice that much to run both a ship's shields.

If you're finding that a ship has too little Power to do what you want, simply increase its Power to what you consider an acceptable level, and you're set.

Steve Long

Remember that most ships don't have the power to run all systems at 100% all the time... no ship probably has the power to run both shields at 125%, power weapons, sensors and such. You have to make decisions...

That's where the idea of tactics comes in, and why being a starship captain isn't considered the easiest job in the universe.

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

Talking

I see that this is your first post, Vorloth. Welcome!

Thumbs up

Originally posted by calguard66:

That's where the idea of tactics comes in, and why being a starship captain isn't considered the easiest job in the universe.
    I think you're right, in fact this was my line of thinking, but I had to convince the other narrator (you know we keep episodes in rotation so that we can play all).
    Thanx a lot,
    Qa'Pla'
    Daniele
    PS
    Anyway why should a Klingon cowardly transfer power to the shields when he can successfully employ this energy to power his disrputor. :-P

Originally posted by Dave Biggins:
    I see that this is your first post, Vorloth. Welcome!
    Thanx I think you'll see me around for a while.
    VortLoth.