View Poll Results: Is the New ENterprise Series correctly representing the time period before Kirk?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 48.94%
  • No

9 19.15%
  • I Don't Know

4 8.51%
  • I Don't Care

11 23.40%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So what do people think about Enterprise? The New Series?

Hmm, so far, good sets, some good characters, decent acting, but not too spectacular, a few canon violations, but not as bad as I had feared. On an episode by episode basis (forgive my not knowing episode names):

1. The Pilot -- pretty good actually.

2. The Thing about blood drinking aliens -- good, though Hoshi emerges as the Wimp of Space. The idea of alien blood harvesters was interesting. The Axanar were disappointing, and it's too bad we didn't get to see more of the bad guys.

3. Planet o' hallucinations -- Really quite good. The look into human prejudice was fascinating, as was the look at T'pol's perspective. I also liked an episode with danger, but no enemy. That's real nature folks, gotta love it. The humans really did act like idiots, though. "Hey, it's a planet! Let's not send any probes, we'll just land there, and I'll bring my dog! A-huh, a-huh."

4. The Comedy -- funny but WAY dumb. The basic scientific errors were big enough to drive a truck through. Let's see, Tripp is on a ship of a group of aliens who can't get him a drink of water, but he can breathe the air and get pregnant? Do I have that right? And just what was that water jell anyway? And I never thought reptiles could be sexy to humans until this episode. That has to be a perversion unknown before now....

5. Terra Nova -- best so far, I think. The human colonists filled me with pathos. The conflict was very interesting, as was the "alien" culture, for that matter. The conflict between the Captain and T'pol definitely foreshadows the emergance of the Prime Directive.

6. The preview of the Andorian episode -- all of you Andorian fans, be afraid, be very afraid.....
    Slan agat!

Arrow

This is the area of Enterprise that is least appealing...the combination of high-handedness and backstabbing that the Vulcans are up to (Though to be honest, I'd always assumed that there'd be a "dark side" to the Vulcans...I even worked it into my campaign.)
    Actually, I like it. The fact that she is not Starfleet (like Spock who criticized about human nature, which is hypocritcal on his part because he's half-human) makes for an interesting relationship full of mistrust and conflicts.

Is anyone else a bit peeved that B&B were to cheap to at least attempt to alter the apperance of the Klingon 'cruiser' to make it seem that this was a pre-TOS Klingon ship??
    A little bit. But then Klingon aren't known for aesthetics. If the design is successful in battle stick with it. AFAIC, it's an earlier D type-class design. We still don't know its size.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Originally posted by REG

Actually, I like it. The fact that she is not Starfleet (like Spock who criticized about human nature, which is hypocritcal on his part because he's half-human) makes for an interesting relationship full of mistrust and conflicts.
    Not really. He embraced his Vulcan side after all not his human side.

It is not an "Akiraprise" it is a "Locknar-prise"! Didn't you guys play FASA trek?

As to Contiunity, there are many explanations;

1: How well do you know history? Were you taught that Betsy Ross invented the flag?

2:CLASSIFIED: Perhapts Archer's mission will involve something that causes his mission to be classified.

3: Temporal Cold War: Remember all of those TOS worlds that resembled Earth history? What if they were "temporal fallout" from this cold war? What if the missions of the NX-enterprise are "lost in time" because of something that is to happen (or already did)?

Originally posted by Psylent 1
    Didn't you guys play FASA trek?
    Heck we had people ask "Whats FASA ?"once or twice

3: Temporal Cold War: Remember all of those TOS worlds that resembled Earth history? What if they were "temporal fallout" from this cold war? What if the missions of the NX-enterprise are "lost in time" because of something that is to happen (or already did)?
    Well that is called the B&B Reset button, and would start a minor civil War in fandom at this point.

Is anyone else a bit peeved that B&B were to cheap to at least attempt to alter the apperance of the Klingon 'cruiser' to make it seem that this was a pre-TOS Klingon ship??
    Berman must have fired his cgi crew and hired cheap replacement labour

Seriously, I was dismayed at the D-7 Cruiser appearing in Unexpected, including it having tractor beams. Like I have said before, they pay these guys how much for cgi design? Couldn't the at least made it look a bit more primative.

The fact that we have a D-7 style Klingon ship in this timeframe really shows how stagnant Klingon culture is. I mean, except for cloaking technology, there really hasn't been that significant amount of technology increase for hundreds of years (maybe weapons, since the Klingon "energy bolts" were a tad primative in Enterprise but much cooler in DS9). Makes sense since most of the ship and set designs in the TOSMovies are still being utilized in Trek.

Still one would think that somethings for the lobsterheads would change - they really need some sort of primative look that they are lacking in Enterprise.
    I love deadlines - I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by
    - The late Douglas Adams

Maybe it is possible that the Klingon Cruiser is just a good, solid, stable design.

Could you tell the difference between a Greek Trireme and any number of other oared warships from the ancient world? For centuries, warships pretty much looked the same. Maybe it's the same with the Klingons.

Sorry, folks - I think some of the nitpicking on Enterprise is just too agenda-driven. If you like TNG and dislike Enterprise, so be it - but some of the nitpicking seems a bit vindictive...!

You see, once there was this great Klingon engineer. He designed and built the toughest ships ever seen. He was the most honored engineer in Klingon history.

Then he died.

Re: Re: COME TO THINK OF IT...

Originally posted by darkwing duck1
    This is the area of Enterprise that is least appealing...the combination of high-handedness and backstabbing that the Vulcans are up to (Though to be honest, I'd always assumed that there'd be a "dark side" to the Vulcans...I even worked it into my campaign.)
    I quite agree. I'm planning to run a ST:TNG adventure with an alliance between some Vulcans and the Borg.

Oh yeah, I know you're reading this Karg...it won't help...

"This battlestation is now the ultimate power in...who's hailing us? I don't care who these 'Borg' are, THEY CAN WAIT!!!"
    Admiral Motti, now Eighth Of Eight

I voted yes, but we'll just have to wait and see on this one. After all, season one is just getting started. I'll give my opinion in 6-7 months.
    "You have not experienced Shakespeare until you've read it in the original Klingon text."
    - Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Arrow ACTUALLY...

Not really. He embraced his Vulcan side after all not his human side.
    He tried to, even rejecting his human half. That's why he was on Vulcan trying to become a disciple of Kolinahr. But he couldn't. After having experienced death and rebirth, and finally answering the question "How do you feel?", it is best to accept his human half.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer