Thread: Anybody Have "The Romulan War" Sourcebook?

Anybody Have "The Romulan War" Sourcebook?

Back when FASA published Star Trek roleplaying they had an adventure called "OLD SOLDIERS NEVER DIE". It was about a secret prototype of an Earth/Romulan War era battleship being stolen by the Romulans.

Along with the adventure was supposed to be a separate sourcebook called "The Romulan War" that detailed the history of Earth (Federations) war with the Romulans.

Anybody ever seen either of these?

Err, yes...

I have the 'Return to Axanar/Four Years War' combo as well...

But, I'm afraid they're not for sale

Sorry!
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Its strange when the ROmulan war was originally published it used Starfleet as the main force in the field opposing the Romulans, as well as the Federation. As time has worn on it seemed the time line was totally useless for any thing because of the use of Starfleet. Now with Enterprise it seems this has been switched and the old timeline with removal of federation references can be used almost in its enitirity unless the show decides to reinvent the whole war.

The romulan war

I believe I still have that suppliment kicking around somewhere, why?

You mean back when the entire Romulan fleet was sublight? God, you gotta love TOS tech..... LOL.

Yep, me too.

Again, the question would be - what's it too ya?

Question Off topic but. . .

O.K when I got into ST:RPG the only source I knew of was LUG. Thanks to this board I know they were not the first, that a company called FASA was involved early on. I was wondering is FASA still around, or did they die? What are they doing instead of Star Trek? I can't find anything current on them.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

FASA died last summer. Their most recent works were Shadowrun RPG, and Battletech. Both of those properties were bought out by another company (Wizkids), which then leased Shadowrun to another company. They lost the Star Trek property years ago, around late 88 or 89.

If you want some of their stuff, you'll have to scrounge the used bookstores or ebay.

Hope that helps.

Question Shadowrun

Does this have anything to do with the Babylon 5 "shadow" race?
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Ok, Shadowrun.

The short version: Cyberpunk with Magic and meta-humans.

Technology exists (Cyberwear and Biowear, fast cars, and a universal matrix system to run.) and so does magic (spells, inherant magic adepts, etc). However, in most cases, magic and tech don't work well together. (Mages don't run the Matrix so good, for instance)

You can also play other races, mostly the standard fantasy ones, orks, dwarfs, elves, trolls, and humans.

The characters are Shadowrunners. These are the equivalent of "Mercenary Special Forces."

The characters are deniable hired assets, that do jobs for the mega-corps.

The universe is a cross between standard cyberpunk, with large impersonal corporations and a dark and gloomy future, along with a magical horror setting.

My character has blown up cybered street monsters, insect spirits, toxic shamans, normal people, and the like.

There are three versions of the game.

IMO, Shadowrun I was very cyberpunk, no matter what you did, you couldn't make a difference, really. Being good was stupid, and would get you screwed over.

Shadowrun II was more magical. More times than not, you could actually accomplish something, in fact, several published adventures let you change the whole world.

Shadowrun III is mainly a clarification of Shadowrun II. There's more cool stuff to do. The world is still very dark, and sort of in a downward spiral, but it's possible to play a PC that stands against the darkness.

If that's not way too much info, I can give you more.

Alex

Very not B-5!

Is/was there a B-5 RPG?
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Yes, it used to be a Babylon 5 role-playing game called ;
    The Babylon Project.
    And it was a very good one!!
    I own a copy of the Corebook.
    It is fantastic, very playable, and innovative.
    Sadly it died before ever starting. The company (Chameleon Eclectic) promised a lot of specific sorcebooks for the B5 universe, but they never came out.
    In the last 5 years the RPG industry has been completely wracked.
    Babylon Project was one of the casualties.
    Sadly it happened to Last Unicorn too.
    Really Ugly Nausicaan referring to Dr. Naipal "We do not like monsters in our bar!"
    Captain Sheridan "No one is holding you here"
    Star Trek; Last Frontier

The EarthForce Sourcebook is also a very good book. Contains alot of excellent material on Earth's Military as well as its government.

Like you said it is too bad that the Babylon Project wnet belly up...It had alot of promise.

Unhappy

I did not ever know that EarthForce sourcebook went out.
    Thank you Mr. Phantom for your update.
    P.S. : Why the best role-playing games have to die?
    Really Ugly Nausicaan referring to Dr. Naipal "We do not like monsters in our bar!"
    Captain Sheridan "No one is holding you here"
    Star Trek; Last Frontier

I mourn the Babylon Project too.

So far as I know it's biggest problem was that the writers failed to keep up with their promised schedule (we got two books in twelve months). The publisher decided they'd had enough and cancelled their contract. The writers never found another publisher and then Warner pulled the plug. Most recent news I heard was that the whole thing's up for tender again because of the upcoming 'Rangers' series - the card game was suddenly killed for that very reason this last summer.

The Earthforce Sourcebook was even better than the main rulebook, with as superb ship to ship combat system based on Full Thrust. Get it if you like the game, but try to get the American printing. The British version got the artwork screwed up badly (duplicate images, missing keys for ship plans and so on), and missed out the counters for the ship combat rules.

We never got the GM book, which was the next promised supplement.

Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

I completely agree - I enjoyed the Babylon Project RPG and the Earthforce Sourcebook was great. I have the GM screen too, but I can't reccomend it.

Unfortunately, the core mechanic for character-scale interaction was a little bit difficult for us. Character creation I liked, but action was too slow... by players just had a really hard time keeping straight the "roll 2 dice, one the positive die, one is the negative one, take the smallest" or whatever it was. It really wan't that complex... but yet it was still difficult.

I ran a 2-year campaign in that system. In retrospect, I highly reccomend using the ICON system for character scale interaction, and using the Earthforce Sourcebook full-thrust game engine for starship combat. But don't drop the Babylon Project character-background generating stages of character creation.

The campaign structure guidelines I felt were the best part of the core rulebook. It really tried to stand out of RPGs in the same way that B5 stood out from other sci-fi TV shows - by linked story arcs in a way that had a definite novel structure.