Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ST:TMP Director's Cut

ST:TMP Director's Cut

Anyone know when it comes out?

I believe it was listed as coming out on November 6.
    History abhors a paradox...

Originally posted by silverskull90
    I believe it was listed as coming out on November 6.
    Seems everything is said to be coming out Nov. 6.

Originally posted by Phantom

Seems everything is said to be coming out Nov. 6.
    Odd that. A month and a bit before christmas. Must be a coincidence!
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Yeah, that's it...The Christmas Conspiracy.

"He's everywhere, he's everywhere...He's a member of the CIA"
    -Ray Stevens

So, Old Saint Nick flys a black helicopter now? Who knew?

Makes since though, has the trust of children and people let him infiltrate their homes yearly.
    At night.
    While their asleep.

Scary.
    Last edited by silverskull90; 10-30-2001 at 01:28 PM.
    History abhors a paradox...

ST:TMP Director's Cut?

Will it be even longer, slower, and more ponderous this time?

Is that even possible...?!?

It will be longer than the theatrical release but shorter than the ABC Release (which is the non-letterbox "Special Longer Version" VHS. Many scenes have actually been shortened - the approaches and entry into V'Ger for example, along with many of the reaction shots in the rec-deck briefing, etc.

Many of the special effects have been redone by Foundation Imaging, with a very impressive CGI Enterprise which I cannot tell apart from the model. There have been many changes to the soundtrack, replacing the mecahnical voices heard throughout.

Basically, what happened was Robert Wise, the director, never had a chance to watch the film from start to finish, so rushed was the production. This new release was led by him. I've already pre-ordered it - I'm willing to give the director of "Sound of Music", "Day the Earth Stood Still", "Run Silent Run Deep", and so many others the benefit of the doubt.

For some info see:
    http://www.obisreviews.com/reviews/startrektmp.html
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews2/startrektmp.html
    http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...ek_tmp_de.html

The newest Star Trek: The Magazine is devoted entirely to this new release as well.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

You bet it was rushed out! It was so rushed that prints were shipped to the theatres still wet with developing fluid and dried out while being shown!

Dan, if you don't mind me asking: how the heck do you get your ST Magazine so fast? The street date isn't for at least another two weeks!
    Deo Vindice!

How do I get it so fast?

Well, once a month I drive down to Connecticut to visit my folks. While down there I drive a bit further south to the offices of the magazine, I break down the doors at night with an axe...

Seriously, I just check my friendly mall Waldenbooks on Thursday nights - I help teach a Tai Chi class that night so I don't have time to run home for dinner after work. I peek in the Waldenbooks, if they have it I read that during my yummy food court dinner, otherwise I read an enjoyable news magazine about anthrax...

I used to subscribe to the magazine, but I ran into two problems. First of all, very often the next month's issue would be on the newstand before I received mine in the mail. Secondly, though the magazine was shipped in a box which always arrived in perfect condition, the magazine within the box looked like it had been used as a dog's chew-toy before stuffing it into the box...
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Originally posted by Dan Stack
    It will be longer than the theatrical release but shorter than the ABC Release
    I *really want* to like ST:TMP, but I've never liked any of the versions I've seen so far - as i sadi, I thought they were slow and ponderous. I really think there's a decent film in there, just waiting for some judicous editing to free it...!

I actually am inclined to agree with you. While I enjoy action movies as much as the next guy, I'm also pretty capable of sitting down and enjoying a movie - I enjoy almost all of 2001, though I do fast-forward through the acid-trip scene...

ST:TMP.... seems so close to being a good movie. I doubt I'd ever see it as perfect, but it felt so big and grand, something other Trek movies haven't really tried for. But it also felt too cold. And like you said, it was too long and ponderous in parts. I'm really praying this new version fixes that - hearing they cut something on the order of minutes from the V'Ger approaches gives me hope. Also, I hear they added background noise to the bridge, something which is inherently "Star Trek".

We'll see. If worse comes to worse, the tech geek in me will still enjoy it, due to all the details of Enterprise.

I'm really looking foward to this one. The magazine has given me alot of insight on it (and made me so interested, now
    I have to buy it) By the way, a subscription is the way to go for the Star Trek magazine.
    "You have not experienced Shakespeare until you've read it in the original Klingon text."
    - Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Seriously OT - sorry!

Originally posted by silverskull90
    So, Old Saint Nick flys a black helicopter now? Who knew?

Makes since though, has the trust of children and people let him infiltrate their homes yearly.
    At night.
    While their asleep.

Scary.
    As anyone who reads Sluggy Freelance knows, it's not Santa that flies the choppers, but his Black Ops Elves Division. They maintain watch on everyone - how else do you think he knows who's been naughty and who's been good?

Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Thumbs up

Yeaaaaaah. The Lowrider Enterprise. My favorite ship in all of Trek. The whole reason one plays in the Movie Era. I can't wait for DecTrek to see if they were smart enough to put in the Movie Era stuff. And I agree with all of you guys. There is a grand and exciting movie underneath all that slow stuff. I hope now that Bob Wise has gotten to finish the movie all these years later that it is more exciting than what we've seen. If it is, then it will break the infamous 'odd-numbered Trek movies suck' stigma...at least for a little while. And Jerry Goldsmith's score is indeed one of his best, and one of the best in the Movie Era (only James Horner's Wrath of Khan score is better).

Let me ride.
    Can I have some Amy Jo Johnson, mama?

"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
    darkwingone@hotmail.com
    gameshowman@winning.com