Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ent. Episode 6 "The Andorian Incident"

Cool

Originally posted by Phantom

HA! Very nice.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but the more I see the show the harder it is to convince myself I'm watching Trek.

(shrug)
    That's very interesting. You see, the more that I see the show, the harder it is to convince myself that I was watching Trek during TNG, DS9, and Vomitter...err...Voyager.

I've said it since the premiere, Enterprise *is* Trek, they've finally recaptured the original spirit and enhanced it, not to mention that they finally proved my pet theory that Vulcans are nothing more than a race of snooty manipulative cheatin', lyin', bastards!

...although some of them do look nice in a brown catsuit.

May the Dark Side Be With You... Always!

-Darth Malice-
    Dark Lord of the Cynical SciFi Fans
    The Human Adventure Is Just Beginning... however it is also subject to exstensive rewrites, continuity glitches and premise changes.

WARRIOR = NOBLE? WRONG!!!

"A violent and...race!" It seems to me these Andorians weren't much as warriors, sure they could beat up Archer while he was in a chair, but he and Tucker pretty much mopped the floor with them when they got into hand to hand.
    You're crying foul at every term, Phantom. To their culture, they are warriors. They don't have to be noble or chivalrous (you put too much stock into it compared to our Earth counterparts), especially when dealing with non-Andorians.

At least they got what they came for (evidence of a treaty violation between their species and the Vulcans) and leave without further altercation.

You think they should have superior martial skills over anyone they encounter? Not necessarily but they are trained.

AFAIC, I like this portrayal of the Andorians in Archer's timeline (22nd Century) as much as I like the portrayal of Klingons in Kirk's timeline (TOS 23rd Century). I would even go so far to say that they should be ENTERPRISE main villains, with the Vulcans being uneasy allies.

I give "The Andorian Incident" a 9 stars of out 10.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Salinger
    [B]

That's very true. Which leads me to believe that if they ever named the third planet of the Sol system after the native sentient species, it wouldn't be Humia.

Isn't the name on record Terra? As in Terrans?

For all you who nail the writers for every single canon violation... give it a rest.

I frankly, do not care all that much about canon violating as long as they are telling A GOOD STORY, which they are. I think Enterprise is a great show that can only get better. Sorry if i've doomed myself to being flamed. Thank your for listening to my momentary ranting and raving.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

White Flag!

For all you who nail the writers for every single canon violation... give it a rest.
    Er, no. Unless the moderators tell me not to, I feel I have very right to speak my mind. As I say you have to speak yours. Whether or not you agree with me, doesn't bother me in the least but I would ask you to accept my right to speak my opinion.

As for flaming; there is no need. We can disagree without degenerating into nastiness. However I know I don't like being told I can't voice my opinion by one side of an argument or another. If people can voice positive notions of Enterprise then a few of us can say a few negative things about it.

Myself I pick holes in plots but that doesn't mean I don't like Enterprise. If anything its the debate and exchange of views that I am after, not convincing anyone to spew venom over the portrayl of Vulcans or anything.

I frankly, do not care all that much about canon violating as long as they are telling A GOOD STORY
    I have a great tolerance for canon bending for the sake of a good story. However that only goes so far - if a writer cannot fit a story into the broad framework of an existing series then he isn't worth the price of the script, in my opinion. No need to sweat the small stuff but if a writer feels the need to turn the entire Vulcan nation into emotional cybernetic gothic square dancers for a "good story" then I have a problem.

As for Enterprise - it has had a shakey start, but its improving. As long as they stay way from episodes like Unexpected then I won't complain much. The Andorian Incident however was a real winner for me, despite my quibbles about how the Vulcans are portrayed.

As for the "Empire" discussion: An Empire is a form of political government more than it is a indication of size. Any government that is ruled by and Emperor is an Empire, whether it is one planet or 1000 worlds. Just because Andor only has a handful of worlds doesn't mean it cannot be an Empire. And it suits the Andorians better than the "Theasaurus" designations for governments we saw in Voyager (Sodality, Conglomerate, Imperium, etc etc).
    Last edited by prophetsteve; 11-01-2001 at 10:30 PM.
    I love deadlines - I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by
    - The late Douglas Adams

Hey! I really liked the way that the antennae were almost a forehead appliance and moving....don't think anyone mentioned that but it was pretty well done, even if you could see the ridge along the spine where Westmoore had to hide the power cable for the anntennae motors it still was better than any Andorian before....

Smile Andori-o-rama

I like the episode. I was just happy to see a show about Andorians. The moving antennae were cool. That Weyoun dude is a good actor. I like it when good actors come back, regardless of what they play.

As for them being 'carboard'... heck- half the Enterprise crew still seem cardboard to me. Commander Tucker and Lt. Reed are interesting characters while the rest are pretty boring (for me at least). When Tucker and Reed are on screen I pay attention to what they say and do, but when any other crew are on screen I'm thinking "yeah, yeah, whatever." Ensign Sato is alright too, not for the character, but for Linda Park's non-trek publicity photos (woohoo!). However, a linguist onboard is a refreshing idea. Its nice to know that not every species speaks English.

The Vulcans development was interesting. Without Nimoy or Mark Leonard's acting, the Vulcans certainly have the potential of becoming cardboard. Their new sneaky-ness gives them some depth at least.

On a side note, weren't there slight differences between Andorian antennae in TOS episodes? If I remember correctly, Babel antennas were smooth, while the ones in Whom Gods Destroy had subtle ridges. This was reflected in Among the Clans artwork, too.

Smile Revenge of the space pirates...

They're telling a terrible story
    But it doesn't diminish their glory
    For we'd be watching it if it was written
    by their six year old daughters...

I'm not sure, but I think my intelligence was just called into question. However, the internet is a poor medium for conveying emotional context. Was that the intent??? (i.e. anyone who likes "Enterprise" has the intelligence of a six-year old).
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Originally posted by Dan Stack
    I'm not sure, but I think my intelligence was just called into question. However, the internet is a poor medium for conveying emotional context. Was that the intent??? (i.e. anyone who likes "Enterprise" has the intelligence of a six-year old).

I think the pointhe was trying to make in rhyme was that we would watch the show even if it were written by chimps pounding randomly on computers simply because its Star Trek and I have to admit I would....

Apparently, Shran is going to be in another episode. Read this article.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Originally posted by Steve Long

"Prodigal Daughter."

The writers definitely can't seem to make up their minds. I think the references are about 65-35 in favor of "Andoria," but that's just a guess.

Personally, I'm much more fond of Andoria, and was glad to see them use it. It just sounds better. Besides, if it were Andor, the people who came from there should be Andorans.

Steve Long
    The shorter "Andor" sounds better because it sounds stronger. The "ia" is weaker. I don't think the "ians" logic necessarily follows, either. Peru->Peruvians, not Peruvans.

The earlier writers obviously had an ear for stronger names.

Robbie

Eh. Well, I was disappointed that the Andorians were basically little more than thugs... Maybe they'll get another chance to get something approaching a culture.

Well.

We'll see.
    "IDIC: If Doubtful, Increase Confusion." --Cpt Timothy B. Hammartrack.

Hmm, and someone pointed out that the Kligons had fo' ridges. There goes my theory that they're caused by cloaking devices. Oh, well.

}
    "IDIC: If Doubtful, Increase Confusion." --Cpt Timothy B. Hammartrack.