Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trek RPG Supplements: What's Missing?

I'm resurrecting this thread for a couple of reasons, mainly that my writing schedule will ease up after Sept. 30 (heh heh), and that the CODA Trek books are now available.

Now, then, what are you looking for in a Trek RPG supplement? What do you want for your game that isn't available? What have your players been clamoring for? Let's hear some ideas.

I counted the species with stats from the LUG books and the Decipher core books, and they could fill up Decipher's species book by themselves. I think it would be good to have separate species books for each series, including the movies. I know, I know. If they do that it will be way down the line. Maybe a book full of new species too.

I want the core series sourcebooks that were mentioned, including the movie series. I would even like a separate sourcebook for each season of each series. I would like a 30th century sourcebook. I would also like an early 23rd century sourcebook and an early 24th century sourcebook.

I would like to see the guys flesh out all the sectors mentioned on screen. I would like a 200 page Bajor sector sourcebook.

I hope we can get those starcharts and deckplans. I'm looking forward to Pocket's starcharts, I hope Decipher will do their own afterwards.

I bought the Decipher core books about a month ago, read the Player book in about a week and am working on the Narrator book. It looks like the designers paid attention to my many suggestions in this and other threads, thanks guys whether you did or not!

Perrryyy Guest
    A species sourcebook, guide to storytelling (along with tips to inspire plot ideas - where they come from, etc) planet/world/system/sector/galaxy mapping technques would be nice

Species guide.. Possibly drawing from some of the non canon pieces of information, like Prime directive.

Deckplans.. Mostly using the main ship types or o way of mixing and matching to cover all ships.

Conversion notes from outside sources, like Space Dock..

Sector books, describing some of the areas, like a Book detailing the Klingon empire. all the subjugated races under them. worlds so on..
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

Lots and lots of srms with lots and lots of pictures!

Oh and finally a TNG+ Klingon Book.

Call me crazy but I think that will sell like crazy and the SRMs, with pics, have an outside of gaming appeal with modelers etc...

Originally posted by Perrryyy
    guide to storytelling (along with tips to inspire plot ideas - where they come from, etc)
    Interesting idea. A lot of this is covered in the Narrator's Guide. What else are you looking for? A list of inspirational material, guidelines for coming up with ideas? Tell me more.

I'd like to see something like the Star Wars Kathil Outback boxed set... an entirely new sector for a group to set their adventures in, close enough to be effected by major Federation-shaking events... but far enough not to be bothered every time Picard sneezes.

I'd also like to see a Decipher-canon record of the events and vessels at Wolf 359 and the Second Borg Incursion.

The history of my PC's ship, USS Endeavour, holds that it was the only vessel to survive Wolf 359, and was again severely damaged fighting a running battle during the second incursion in the Typhon sector.

On second thought, forget about a canon accounting. I don't want my history to be wrong, it's too cool. (Thanks to Dave Biggins for the ideas and CPT Hawke)
    “I am a soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

General George S. Patton, Jr.

Seperate Canon from non-Canon

For what its worth, I have an idea on sourcebooks. I think that Canon material should be presented distinctly from author's conjecture and imaginings.

For example, in a Cardassian sourcebook (something I hope Decipher publishes, though I'm working on an interim netbook) I would like to see the first chapter or two devoted to every canonical fact about Cardassians and Cardassia. The rest of the book would be filled with material that fills in the blanks through logical conjecture based on the canon material.

Also, when a sourcebook contains new species or ship stats, I'd like to see an entry in the species or ship stats that goes something like

"Canonical: Yes" or "Canonical: No"

My reasoning is I've rarely liked the original material created for a game based on an established property such as Star Trek. Formatting books in this way would allow GMs that like to run a canon game to differentiate between canon and non-canon material.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Captain Taranis Branill
    USS Avatar CO

"I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details." -Albert Einstein
    -From the dedication plaque, USS Avatar

The opinions expressed in this post are the biased and personal opinions of the author except where noted. If anything in this post offends you, feel free to ignore it and get on with your life.

Perrryyy Guest
    Originally posted by Ineti

What else are you looking for? A list of inspirational material, guidelines for coming up with ideas? Tell me more.
    Brainstorming tips, inspirational material, guidelines... You name it I want it!

I stink at coming up with plot ideas (and to some extent character ideas too, though less so than I used to be.)

I would rather see coverage of the Federation's major-but-less-frequently-seen alien species like the Tellarites, Centaurans and Andorians (amongst others). I would love a "Big Book of Technobabble" full of extensive charts for creating pseudoscience and the terminology which accompanies it, as well as guidelines on how to slip it into play. Add a CD with scripts (cross-platform) to generate random buzzwords, and voila!
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Re: Cardassian sourcebook.

Originally posted by Avatar CO

For example, in a Cardassian sourcebook (something I hope Decipher publishes, though I'm working on an interim netbook) I
    There's already a Cardassian netbook. Why do another?

IIRC Decipher have stated in the past that they don't plan on doing a Cardassian book.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Cardassian netbook

Could someone tell me where to find this Cardassian netbook?

I'd probably do my own version for use in my games even after reading it. I rarely agree with netbooks or RPG rules posted on the web. For example, I completely rewrote the Highlander rules I found before allowing players to use them in my WW game.

I'm sure the author(s?) put great efforts into the material, but I'm not sure that I'd agree with their takes on what we havent seen on-screen.
    Captain Taranis Branill
    USS Avatar CO

"I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details." -Albert Einstein
    -From the dedication plaque, USS Avatar

The opinions expressed in this post are the biased and personal opinions of the author except where noted. If anything in this post offends you, feel free to ignore it and get on with your life.

Perrryyy Guest

Re: Cardassian netbook

Originally posted by Avatar CO
    Could someone tell me where to find this Cardassian netbook?

I'd probably do my own version for use in my games even after reading it. I rarely agree with netbooks or RPG rules posted on the web. For example, I completely rewrote the Highlander rules I found before allowing players to use them in my WW game.

I'm sure the author(s?) put great efforts into the material, but I'm not sure that I'd agree with their takes on what we havent seen on-screen.
    Give this a shot.

Lightbulb

(Makes mental note of this thread to add the link to the Netbook section of the web site in the near future...)
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Perrryyy Guest

Lightbulb

Subscribes to thread as a back-up for Don

Just in case