Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trek RPG Supplements: What's Missing?

Re: Seperate Canon from non-Canon

Originally posted by Avatar CO
    For what its worth, I have an idea on sourcebooks. I think that Canon material should be presented distinctly from author's conjecture and imaginings.

My reasoning is I've rarely liked the original material created for a game based on an established property such as Star Trek. Formatting books in this way would allow GMs that like to run a canon game to differentiate between canon and non-canon material.
    That's the precise reason why I created "Remember Forever the Long Night" ( http://remember-forever.tripod.com), a 100-percent canon Website dedicated to the Cardassian Occupation of Bajor.

Although some people have told me they wished my site would have mixed in some "new material", that would have gone against its core purpose -- which was to present every scrap of information available regarding the Occupation as a tool for narrators and storytellers wishing to have a reliable background information source.

I did include an adventure for the ICON system, but it's entirely separate from the site's "encyclopedia" section.

Anyway, enough of my rant! If you haven't already, go check out my site! (And for those of you who have checked it out before, you might want to look again because I've finally added an annotated Introductions page detailing all of that page's references. Hopefully I'll find time to annotate the rest of the encylopedia soon. ).
    Voka a Bentel
    (May you walk with the Prophets),

Lt. Jabara Eris
    DS18 Station Counselor, Prylar and All-Around Groovy Guy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ... Let us never forget Bajor's sacrifices under the Cardassian Occupation ...
    ... http://remember-forever.tripod.com ...

thanks

I will certainly be including a section on the Bajoran occupation and your site will be a great resource. Thanks a lot!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Captain Taranis Branill
    USS Avatar CO

"I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details." -Albert Einstein
    -From the dedication plaque, USS Avatar

The opinions expressed in this post are the biased and personal opinions of the author except where noted. If anything in this post offends you, feel free to ignore it and get on with your life.

Gimme anything with TOS/classic look.

Re: thanks

Originally posted by Avatar CO
    I will certainly be including a section on the Bajoran occupation and your site will be a great resource. Thanks a lot!
    Avatar CO -- FYI, the real meat on my site regarding Cardassia and its history is in the section regarding the Reasons for the Occupation (http://remember-forever.tripod.com/reasons/reasons.htm). Although individual Cardiassians are mentioned in other chapters, the "Reasons" chapter has about everything I could find regarding the situation on Cardassia during and before the Occupation. Not a lot, but at least it's canon.
    Voka a Bentel
    (May you walk with the Prophets),

Lt. Jabara Eris
    DS18 Station Counselor, Prylar and All-Around Groovy Guy

... Let us never forget Bajor's sacrifices under the Cardassian Occupation ...
    ... http://remember-forever.tripod.com ...

Bloomington, IN - the heart of Limestone Country!
    three words:

deckplans, deckplans, deckplans!

I'd give my hindteeth for some Excelsior/Enterprise-B full deckplans
    I'M Captain Kirk!!!!

Let me just second all this!

Originally posted by Cochrane
    I'd like more planets, species, and deckplans. A whole book, on creating planets, systems, sectors, empires, societies, civilizations, animals, sentient species, with optional random generation tables for everything.
    I want a 200 page atlas of the Star Trek Universe. It should include an overview map of the whole Milky Way, a separate map of each quadrant, separate maps for the Federation, Romulans, Klingons, Cardassians, Ferengi, Tholians, Gorn, Taurhai, Breen, Cytherians, Dominion, Borg, Krenim, and Kazon. All the maps should be black on white so I can write on them more effectively. There should be a map of Sector 001, a map of the Federation Core, and maps for the Deneb and Rigel regions. I want a Deneb sourcebook and a Rigel sourcebook
    I want a book full of alternate universes. I want 25th, 27th, and 29th century sourcebooks. I want a Eugenics War sourcebook and a WWIII sourcebook.
    I'M Captain Kirk!!!!

Originally posted by Perrryyy
    ... guide to storytelling (along with tips to inspire plot ideas - where they come from, etc)
    I thought the NG did an excellent job of this. What do you think a whole book would add?
    I'M Captain Kirk!!!!

Perrryyy Guest
    Originally posted by Kirok

I thought the NG did an excellent job of this. What do you think a whole book would add?
    Heh.

Ok. I suppose it did. I'll hush.

There are some really, really good ideas in here.

Let me ask this... given the choice between the following two items, which would you prefer? Answer, then discuss.

Option A. A big book of species, aliens, and creatures, pulled from all series into one big alphabetical lump, sort of like a Monster Manual for Trek.

I know Decipher is working on a Big Book 'o Aliens and a Big Book o' Creatures, so this option may not be necessary.

B. A season-by-season breakdown of each series, each season book to include species, aliens, and creatures (etc.) found in that season only.

Now, I know the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, and I know there's a lot of overlap, and I know A could be compiled once all of B was done, but how about some thoughts from y'all?

Opinions, anyone? I'm sure someone has one.

C'mon, I wanna start planning a project, throw me a bone here.

Perrryyy Guest
    As you stated previously, I think the question is sort of redundant. I'm definitely picking up the Big Book of Aliens when it comes out, simply because I prefer to buy ONE book rather than say, 3 or 4.

That's just me. YMMV.

Originally posted by Ineti
    C'mon, I wanna start planning a project, throw me a bone here.
    Huh? Now I'm confused... (What else is new, right?)

You looking for project ideas, nevermind the fact that only one fan-project has been successfully completed to date (the Cardassians)? Or you want to duplicate Decipher books for some strange reason? Decipher has an Aliens book already on the schedule (and you know this) plus have gone on record with series-specific books at some point "in the future."

Could you perhaps reiterate what exactly your mining ideas for? Thanks.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    Could you perhaps reiterate what exactly your mining ideas for? Thanks.
    Sure thing, Don. I'd hate for our Admiral to be confused.

I'm attempting to determine what the fine folks who frequent these boards are looking for in the way of RPG material that either isn't available now or won't be available for some time. I'm hoping that somewhere in all those ideas that have been generated so far (and the ones to come) will be one or more that will interest me enough to take a crack at. So far, I've read some very good ideas in this and other threads.

Why am I doing this? Several reasons.

1. To become much more familiar with the Coda rules - it's hard to create something to use in the system if I don't know the ins and outs of the system.

2. To get more writing practice; not just on writing in general, but on writing specifically for a RPG. As we've covered in other threads, RPG writing is something I'd like to take a shot at doing professionally, and doing a fan netbook or even just a little essay here and there will be experience for me.

3. To do it for the fun of it. I love Trek, I love writing, I love the Trek RPG. Simple.

4. Once October 1 passes, and the deadline for the Strange New Worlds contest has passed and I've sent all my stories in for this year, I'll have a little more free time and I want to have a project lined up before I get to that date so I can just jump into it.

The fact that only one fan-based project has been completed to date doesn't bother me. If I decide to start a project, taking into account my schedule, I'll find a way to finish it. The luxury I have is that I get to set my own production schedule. To paraphrase Gandalf, it won't be early, it won't be late--it'll arrive exactly when it's supposed to.

As for doubling up on Decipher books, well, I've already pretty much nixed the idea for an aliens/creatures/species project. That's waaaay more involved than I'm ready for now.

As for the series-specific books that are planned for "in the future," that could mean just about anything. It could mean six months, a year, or 18 months. Why not complete and offer a fan rendition of it before the Decipher stuff comes out?

So, that's where I am. Sorry for the rambling. It's late and I just finished watching a meaningless game between the Redskins and the Patriots.

Tech book

What I would like to see is a book of technology. That means weapons, medical tech, drugs, poisons, force fields, and any thing else you can think of. Also it should have a price list for those of us who have players who prefer not to be part of Starfleet, and thus have to pay for their gadgets.
    It should also include a method of figuring the price of starships constructed with the CODA rules.
    4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies.
    Evil Overlords Survival Guide

There are few problems in the galaxy which cannot be solved by a suitable application of concentrated phaser fire.
    Capt. Coryn Windsabre

I've always preferred photons myself.
    Cmdr. Marcus Aurelius Ferretti

Re: Tech book

Originally posted by aelius
    It should also include a method of figuring the price of starships constructed with the CODA rules.
    That's a question I have for the Decipher folks that frequent the boards. Will the starships book include pricing info?
    Captain Taranis Branill
    USS Avatar CO

"I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details." -Albert Einstein
    -From the dedication plaque, USS Avatar

The opinions expressed in this post are the biased and personal opinions of the author except where noted. If anything in this post offends you, feel free to ignore it and get on with your life.