Thread: A Science question

A Science question

Watched an article on the Discovery channel the other day about the Tunguska (sp, yeah I'm lazy. Sue me.) Event of 1908. An Aussie physicist has the theory that a "ball" of what he called "Mirrior Matter" exploded over Siberia. This is based on the fact that no piece of a meteor or comet have been found...Yet.

Has anyone else heard about this? Is Mirrior Matter anti-matter? Or something different?

AFAIR, there is a theory that the meteor was or at least had a piece of anti-matter in it. That's what caused the big boom and crater there.

I'm not a physicist, so I wouldn't know how to go about discovering whether this theory is true.

One could extrapolate from that event, that antimatter is either more common in free space than we thought of, or we got really unlucky to find that big a chunk of anti-matter, or else a matter/ anti-matter powered ship exploded over Siberia in 1908.

Hmmmm, a time travel adventure anyone?

Alex

Hmmm, have NOT heard of that one. I was under the impression, from a segment Sagan did on the event, it was pure ice, a cometary fragment, therefore the only remnants would be water, and untraceable.

Mirror matter, you'd think they could find a better name for it, oh well.....

Anyone know of a website that describes this event well?
    Kronok

I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly because we are Jem’Hadar. Remember, victory is life.

"The D20 System is the heart of the classic fantasy roleplaying experience, the game that has taught us all how to be munchkins. There is no way we could do it with any other system."

"Mirror Matter" is a new one to me. The theory that the Tunguska meteorite was a tiny piece of antimatter has been around for a while. Comet nucleus is probably more likely, but it's impossible to say at this point. A wonderful scientific mystery and good breeding ground for adventure ideas.

Sagan? Pfah! I read Cosmos, and I tell you, the guy had no imagination.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Pervailing theory is a low mass body; something like a comet or massive snowball asteroid. Impact is not assured; it probably disintegrated in the air, but the bow shock would have a pretty sizeable blast.

But who knows?

Check this out:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci...00/1628806.stm
    Last edited by qerlin; 11-01-2001 at 05:29 PM.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Actually, the air blast theory has been born out. There was just a special on Discovery or TLC about Tunguska. IIRC, the object, whatever it was, came in at about a 30 degree angle and exploded 5-7km above the surface.
    Deo Vindice!