Thread: VERY IMPORTANT Please Read

VERY IMPORTANT Please Read

I read this on a thread on another board I frequent. It's a must read for anyone who runs a site or page, IMO:

http://www.boogiejack.com/free_content007.html

Essentially, these sorry buggers have found a way to quasi-legally hijack traffic from web sites.
    Deo Vindice!

3 words from George: double-plus ungood.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

How about this favorite little gem from Lexicon Georgie:

I think that those internet people misunderestimated us American web surfers.

misunderestimated tr v., sometimes used as the little known and newly uncovered adnoun, A bushism emphasis of the root word underestimated, generally taken to underestimate in a Texas-sized fashion.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I heard this one in a speech praising the CIA and snarfed on myself (he used it twice). I try no longer to drink anything while I listen to one of his speeches.
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth

Erm, different George, methinks!

For your general edification: Kurita-san was referring to Mr Orwell, writer of such well known works as Animal Farm and 1984 (from which this phrase originated).

Incidentally, I heard somewhere that several so-called Bushisms actually originated with Dan Quayle and Al Gore - thoughts anyone?
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Well... I don't know if Al invented any words, but I do understand that he invented the internet... and pants.
    “I am a soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

General George S. Patton, Jr.

Gosh Imagus, thanks… but I already knew that. Um, that was why I did not say “another George comment was…” but identified the misspoken word as having come from “Lexicon George” (an allusion to the present occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania here in the states). While I identified the original comment as, and am vaguely familiar with, Newspeak, it has been some time since I have read 1984 and I did not feel I could string together enough accurate B-Vocabulary to comment on this internet practice without looking up the book (at least nothing that was better than Sho-Sa's original comment which was really great btw). Perhaps I should have been more clear, I can see how you would have made your assumption.

As to the other “bushisms” I really cannot say. I’d once read that some of the gaffe attributed to Quayle came from other political figures, and it very well could be the case that the same has been done to George Bush. I can say however that the misspoken word I used was in a speech I saw directly, as the post above noted.

p.s. I loved that commercial Calguard66, darn near fell off my chair when I first saw it.
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth

Originally posted by Publius
    Gosh Imagus, thanks… but I already knew that.
    Oops! Sorry! I was just in major league pedant mode - I didn't mean any offence (I suppose I can hope that some others didn't know...)

I have to say, I love your politicians - they're much more entertaining than ours... Even our Prime Minister's son noticed that discrepancy and tried to make up for it with some underage drinking antics!
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)