Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold War Theory

Question Cold War Theory

The next movie is going to involve a nemesis to picard that is as equally intelligent, and cunning. And we know it's a Romulan. Could this have anythnig to do with the cold war? I HOPE NOT!! If i see ONE MORE FRIGIN TIME TRAVEL TREK MOVIE, THEY SHOULD CHANGE THE NAME TO "TIME TREK". Thats my opinion on the matter any hoo.

Aman...I find this whole Temporal Cold War (whatever it is) complely...Unfathomable. Putting it politely.

I personally rather not speculate too much on the Temporal Cold War for now...too little is known and since B&B aren't written ST: Nemesis, it would be rearing its ugly head in the next big screen production.

For now my personal advice is not to think too much of the Temproral Cold War unless you want to be proven completely mistaken by canon...I don't think we'll learn anything about it before the season climax of Enterprise...besides is Enterprise really part of the continuity anyway? Too many differences have emerged between Enterprise and previous canon so either we're dealing with an alternate time line or B&B have done their usual hack job...
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King

Moved to Star Trek

Whoosh.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Re: Temporal cold war

Yep it's a hackjob

No imagination = time scenerio/holo-screwup scenerio.

These type of stories ALWAYS, showed a lack of writng skills in a galaxy filled with possibilities, for ship crews to do something interesting.

I've been saying this for a long time...ENOUGH WITH THE TIME TRAVEL!

That said...wouldn't surprise me any.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I find the idea of a temporal cold war....convienient for the writers and for B&B to leave them a loophole through which they can silence all of us "continuity watchers" out there.

Im pretty much just enjoying the show, B&B have done an awful hack job (phase pistols, Resequenced food, transporters that can do things that are hard to do in 2380, Earth to Qronos in just a few days) the way i look at it is, yeah it destroys cannon of the future, but TOS, TNG, VOY, DS9 never even mentioned any of whats going on in "Enterprise" so the true "cannon" seems to say that it never actualy happened...

I would have loved to see the S.S. Enterprize flying through space, using primative atomic missiles, firing lasers, and encountering some of original trek species.

Im looking very forward to watching what is probably going to be the last TNG cast feature. I actualy trust Logan because he actualy has respect for the series.

Originally posted by Azar Kel
    I find the idea of a temporal cold war....convienient for the writers and for B&B to leave them a loophole through which they can silence all of us "continuity watchers" out there.
    Was that a shot?

No not at all, I'm just as bad with being critical as every one else here I just feel that for the most part the "silver lining" seems to get lost so I defend the studio. BUt in truth I am every bit as critical.

juicer

Originally posted by Azar Kel
    OK guys, enough with the temporal cold war references/shots. We have seen it in only one episode. So don't freak out abut B&B useing it as an excuse to "destroy the trek universe."

I like Enterprise precisly because it is not like the other shows. OK, end of rant. Fire away.
    "Stupid, you should know better than to try and out-drink an Irishman."

No shots from me. I for one am enthralled with Enterprise. I see it as a fresh new series in a franchise that desperately needed some sort of kick in the arse.

Agreed, Azar!
    Deo Vindice!

In my opinion, you are all correct. Enterprise is actually not all that bad, but it isn't quite what I wanted from a Trek prequel. It is not so much really awful as just......uninspired.

Star Trek in general had been getting into a rut, especially on Voyager, and really did a serious kick in the arse to bring in back to life. This show isn't it, however. It is really just more of the same, definitely better than Voyager, but not all that different.

What could have made it different? Laser pistols intead of phase pistols, missiles, awful frozen food in place of replicators, clunkier technology that looked more like "2001" than like either TOS or TNG, all might have made a difference, but are not really central to what would make it a watchable series.

That said, the series is not lost, yet. It still could be really cool, really inspiring, and it still could revitalize the Star Trek dream.

Aedh's dime suggestion for how to make the series really good are as follows: Keep the cast; they ARE good. Stop playing the Vulcans as villains. That is new, true, but unfortunately it's also silly. Pay attention to inconsistancies and dumb plot holes. Most of all, the show needs a general plot arc which takes us through early Trek history, with a villainous race which is ultimately redeemable, and a series of interesting first contacts and moral dillemmas.

As the villains I suggest.......the Tellarites! (Eyebrows go up, the crowd frowns) Yes the Tellarites; think about it. They are obnoxious. They are willing to strip mine Coridan. They trust no one and rarely back down. They would actually make pretty good villains, presented very much, though not quite, as in LUG.

One imagines that they have a rational, capitalist culture which isn't silly like the Ferengi, but just plain unscrupulous. I could see episodes involving Archer facing down a Tellarite Fleet vessel which is trying to claim an unclaimed planet, an episode involving Tellarite companies selling advanced weapons to primitive aliens, another episode involving Tellarite miners killing primitive but inconvenient natives, maybe an episode involving conflict between the Tellarites and either the Andorians or Vulcans.

Keep in mind that the Tellarites also have a democratic society and aren't stupid by any means. So, as it becomes clear that they can't away with really unpleasant activities, they gradually mellow, and eventually join the nascent Federation after the Romulan War.

This resptres a sense of, well, optimism and progress to the history of the Trek universe. One could actually think of it as a series of conflicts and resolutions, as follows:

CONFLICT.......................................... .......... RESOLUTION
    Vulcans not giving advanced warp to Earth...... The Enterprise.
    Tellarite tensions with their neighbors....... Federation membership
    The Romulan War ......................................The Neutral Zone
    Orion conflicts ............................................Orion neutrality
    Klingon conflicts ........................................Eventual alliance
    Cardassian conflicts ...................................Federation victory
    The Dominion War ......................................Ditto

In the early years, ie. from Cochrane through the Klingon conflicts, the war ends by "converting" the villain, that is by making the villain see the advatages of peaceful cooperation with other races. The exceptions to this are the Romulans, who are "solved" by being locked behind the neutral zone, and the Orions, who are simply forced into more and more hidden and esoteric forms of crime.

Anyway, my tuppence worth.
    Last edited by Aedh Rua; 11-06-2001 at 06:11 PM.
    Slan agat!

I always thought the Cardassian War was a tie. I mean the Federation can hardly be called victors if they had to agree to a De-Militarized Zone on their border with the Cardassians. Like the Korean War, the Cardassian War was a tie and both sides agree to a DMZ to prevent each other from butting heads its just that both sides did not expect the Maquis.

How about withdrawing from Bajor you might ask?

Well if there's an active resistance movement as powerful and organized as the Bajoran Resistance seems to be, I'd say that the Cardassians were probably glad to withdraw from Bajor much like the Americans after the trauma of fighting a gureilla war in Vietnam.
    Last edited by ghosty; 11-07-2001 at 07:43 AM.
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King