Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The New Star Wars trailer...

The New Star Wars trailer...

Okay - note, before I begin - I went to see Monster's Inc because I wanted to see Monster's Inc. I somehow went in blissfully unaware that the Star Wars: Attack of the Clones trailer was going to play.

So. The trailers begin, and when SW:AotC shows up, the theatre explodes into applause.

Uh, folks? It hasn't even started yet. Shut up.

Trailer begins: you can hear Darth Vader's throaty breathing thing goin on. Breathe in - fade to black - breathe out - see a new scene from the upcoming movie for about three seconds - breath in - fade to black - breathe out - see another new scene from the upcoming movie for about three seconds... ad nauseum. I barely managed to recognize some of the characters (note to all: Lack of Jar-Jar in trailer is good-thing!).

After the trailer, short in its entirety, ends, there's an eruption of conversation that then lasts at least ten minutes into the beginning of the Pixar short that came before Monsters, Inc. Again, I repeat, shut up.

But what stunned me the most was that people got up and left after! Okay, I'm something of a fan of Star Wars (not a really big one, mind you, and I prefer Star Trek), but I would never - never - spend $11.50 (Canadian) to view a trailer! Nor would I chat my way through the beginning of the movie everyone else paid to see. Grr.

Rant over.

The Doc
    So you think, 'Might as well,
    Dance a Tango to Hell,
    at least I'll have Tangoed at all.'
    -- "Rent," Jonathan Larson

My wife and I didn't know that the Ep II teaser trailer was going to be playing before Monsters Inc. either. We were pleasently suprised and I felt that familiar tinge of excitement wash over me in spite of myself. (I didn't care for Ep I) There was a collective gasp from the audience when the trailer started (note...more grown ups were at M Inc. than kids) and some excited whispering following the trailer. By the time the movie started we were all back to our normal, mature adult selves. (sitting in a theater watching a cartoon....being thrilled by a sci fi trailer...fighting with our wives over the "popcorn rights")
    Freedom is a package deal - with it comes responsibilities and consequences.<BR>
    <B>England forever!!! Scotland just a <i>wee</i> bit longer.</B>

Originally posted by dimeboy99
    My wife and I didn't know that the Ep II teaser trailer was going to be playing before Monsters Inc. either. We were pleasently suprised and I felt that familiar tinge of excitement wash over me in spite of myself. (I didn't care for Ep I) There was a collective gasp from the audience when the trailer started (note...more grown ups were at M Inc. than kids) and some excited whispering following the trailer. By the time the movie started we were all back to our normal, mature adult selves. (sitting in a theater watching a cartoon....being thrilled by a sci fi trailer...fighting with our wives over the "popcorn rights")
    hrm. Guess you had a better crowd than me.

Didn't you *LOVE* the birdie cartoon at the beginning?

The Doc
    Dance a Tango to Hell,

It came out today as a download. I have to say I was significantly underwhelmed, but then I’m not much of a Lucas fan the past few years. (In all fairness, it is only a teaser.)

What I find amusing is that fandom is starting to do it all over again. I’ve seen comments saying that (by this teaser) that the movie is “darker” and that it will be better because “there’s no Jar Jar.” In short, fandom is starting the buildup for what could be another disappointment.

What these people are forgetting is that the “The Phantom Movie” trailers did the same thing! Those trailers were very dark and didn’t show Jar Jar either! The EP1 trailers represented an entirely different movie than what was delivered (IMO).

I hope EP2 rocks. I really do.

Fool me once, shame on Lucas. Fool me twice…
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    It came out today as a download. I have to say I was significantly underwhelmed, but then I’m not much of a Lucas fan the past few years. (In all fairness, it is only a teaser.)

What I find amusing is that fandom is starting to do it all over again. I’ve seen comments saying that (by this teaser) that the movie is “darker” and that it will be better because “there’s no Jar Jar.” In short, fandom is starting the buildup for what could be another disappointment.

What these people are forgetting is that the “The Phantom Movie” trailers did the same thing! Those trailers were very dark and didn’t show Jar Jar either! The EP1 trailers represented an entirely different movie than what was delivered (IMO).

I hope EP2 rocks. I really do.

Fool me once, shame on Lucas. Fool me twice…
    Eep. Good point, though I don't remember the Ep1 trailer. I was more annoyed at the lack of good manners than the reaction (though, I'll admit to being guilty of the "No Jar-Jar!" reaction). I wonder if there's any info out there over whether Jar-Jar is indeed making a comeback. Ew.

The Doc
    Dance a Tango to Hell,

My OPinion?

Jar Jar needs to hang around. We need the nice cutesy character to hang about for Anakin to slaughter in cold blood as the act that destroys Anakin Skywalker and heralds Darth Vader.

"Will you STOP with the Meesa CRAP!!!"

"But Meesa Jar Jar, messa...aahhhhhhhhh"

BUZZ, Swish, Chop - Chop.

Go on, I dare you to say thats not a scene to look forward too...

As for episode 2. Im with Don. I really want a great film, to equal the first (middle) 3. But the sad fact is, that Lucas has done himself no favours with the film title.

Thanks to a thread on this very board, I will always think of the film as 'Send in the Clones'.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Aint it cool news has some stills from the trailer http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=10687

About half way down, there's one labled Jar Jar. Looks like he's in the background of a scene. Sorry guys. "It's in there."

AFAIR, Jar Jar's in this movie, but he's supposed to be more "mature". Of cource, this is from various on line spoilers, etc, etc, so it really means nothing.

Alex

Originally posted by Dan Gurden
    Thanks to a thread on this very board, I will always think of the film as 'Send in the Clones'.
    HA!!! We've been calling it "When clones attack"!

Not having seen the trailer yet I'm willing to go faith that it will be a good movie. After all, IMHO, the only thing wrong with Phantom Menace was 1)Jar-jar, 2) Jake Lloyd, not able to act his way out of a 7 11 would be a compliment and 3) laying off the FX a little would be good. The strength of the original 3 movies was that they were story driven, Phantom (I do so love that title)Menace was that it was to effect driven. Those points aside it was a very good 1st chapter of the story.

Now assuming Lucas has a full company of competant actors this time, of what I have seen of the cast they have done very well indeed. It should be a good movie. I am looking forward to it almost as much as I am looking forward to LOTR next month.

I think some of the parallels hinted at in the trailer will be interesting.

For example, early on, it shows Anakin with a green lightsabre, and Obi-Wan with a blue one. Looks like Obi-Wan built another to replace his own, and gave Qui-Gon Jinn's to Anakin.

But later, we see Anakin wielding a <i>blue</i> lightsabre when duelling with a bad guy. It would be pretty safe to speculate that he builds his own sabre during Ep2 - the lightsabre that ends up being in Luke's hands in Ep4.

With so much of the setting apparently being on Tatooine, it'll be interesting to see if Anakin indeed goes to Tatooine to (among other things - like rescue his mother) build his new sabre - the same as Luke does 25 years later.

It's also interesting to note Anakin's clothing is no longer the beige-brown of a Padawan like Obi-Wan; he's wearing <i>definitely</i> darker colours - similar to Luke's "transformation" thru the 3 originals.

Anyway...that's enough speculation (for now).

Though I am <i>dying</i> to know who the red-lightsabre-wielding dude is that Anakin's fighting...!
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

I can't believe some losers paid $10 to see a a movie trailer then didn't stay for the main feature.

I'm saying this because they showed the whole trailer on a local "Entertainment Tonight"-like TV show, hosted by 2 idiots (like its american cousin )

After the trailer the guy said "well, looks cool but what's with the heavy breathing?"

What a friggin' twit...
    Oh, better far to live and die
    Under the brave black flag I fly,
    Than play a sanctimonious part
    With a pirate head and a pirate heart!

Not to mention that the trailer is also available at starwars.com.
    History abhors a paradox...

Takling through Trailers

Face it, some of the people who go to theaters think they're in their living room watching a DVD. This is nothing new.

I don't mind cheering or laughing -- a good trailer should elicit something along those lines.

I do remember being at "The Matrix" when it opened, and being stuck down-row from two idiots who kept talking through the trailer for Phantom Menace. One of them observes in mid-trailer, "Oh, I guess this must be the new Star Wars film." -- and keeps talking to his friend, loud enough to be heard over the trailer.

On a tangent, this is about as bad as people who stand up as the credits roll and make at being a wall. I happen to like reading credits (basically because I'm a video editor) and seeing who did what. If you're going to leave, that's fine ... just be aware of the people who are still watching the movie.

Bob

Jar-Jar

While Jar-Jar's speech pattern and bumbling antics are irritating to a large extent, remember that he's the everyman, set amid a wilful princess, two Jedis, and a kid with Force potential to spare. Who WOULDN'T look slightly bumbling and goofy?

Recall also that Trek has had its share of this trend. The Ferenghi were very much the clowns and comic relief before Quark showed up on DS9. Neelix had his irritating moments, complete with a wardrobe to make your eyes bleed. Even TNG had some nauseating moments in Season 2 with a string of 'Data learns ...' episodes. (Data learns to love. Data learns to laugh. Data learns to burp, and ad infinitum.)

Bob

Re: Jar-Jar

Originally posted by Robert Lai
    Recall also that Trek has had its share of this trend. The Ferenghi were very much the clowns and comic relief before Quark showed up on DS9. Neelix had his irritating moments, complete with a wardrobe to make your eyes bleed. Even TNG had some nauseating moments in Season 2 with a string of 'Data learns ...' episodes. (Data learns to love. Data learns to laugh. Data learns to burp, and ad infinitum.)
    Hmm, ISTR disliking most of those as well...

I'm afraid I'm with Dan wrt Jar-jar, with an extra. I believe I can cope with his presence throughout all three movies, provided that he is slowly and systematically tortured to death as part of Anakin's move to the Dark Side... Episode 3 should be 18 certificate!
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)