Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mirror Universe Political Powers

Lightbulb Mirror Universe Political Powers

Mirror Universe Political Powers
    I finally set in writing some of the concepts behind my view of the 'Mirror' universe after the various DS9 episodes.

I would appreciate any thoughts, additions and advancements, now that 'Through the Mirror Darkly' will not bee seen lets see if we can finalise the universe...

Klingon Cardassian Alliance

Remaining the most powerful force in the Alpha and Beta quadrants. The Klingon/Cardassian alliance has remained strong even after the capture of its leader Regent Worf. In his place a charismatic Cardassian politician, Legate Dukat has risen to become leader of the alliance and he has declared Regents Worfs sacrifice a bitter blow to the Alliance.

Many of the military have rallied to Dukats call, particularly the Cardassian and Bajoran troops, they have felt that the gains made by the Terran Rebellion under Worfs administration were a sign of his weakness and inability to lead effectively.

The Alliance is taking the opportunity to regather its forces and prepare to crush the Rebellion once and for all.

Alliance Allied Worlds

The two main allied worlds of the Alliance are Betazed and Bajor.

The Terran Rebellion has a firm stronghold in the Bajor sector, and support from that planet is slowly drying up. Some Bajoran troops remain loyal however fighting alongside their Cardassian comrades, but small levels of desertion and the Rebellions hold on the planet have begun the cancer of distrust, leading many to ignore and abuse Bajoran military personnel, thereby beginning disatisfaction among the troops and beginning the process again as a vicious circle.

Betazed remains loyal to the Alliance however, enjoying their elevated status granted due primarily to their use of Telepathic and Empathic powers. Betazoids enjoy a privileged status and are accorded fear and respect, as a well known species of potential Sadists they enjoy the power this gives them and are often found aboard Alliance ships serving in the role of Political and Moral Officer'.

The most famous Betazoid is Deanna Troi who works as Emporer Dukats advisor and is known for keeping a Harem of male slaves at her beck and call.

Terran Rebelion

The Terran rebelion has grown considerably, the capture of Terok Nor has put them in control of the Bajor sector and the Defiant and Worfs captured flagship, along with the cloaking device stolen from the 'primary universe' have given them a decided tactical edge.

Every day the Rebellion grows and over recent months their forces have been bolstered by smaller resistance groups rallying to their flag. Recently an ancient vessel, the ISS Enterprise a Constitution class ship over 100 years old joined the fleet under the command of Khan Noonian Singh who had been placed in cryogenic freeze during the Eugenics wars of the 1990's.

Khan and his followers had remeined in cryogenic suspension until 2350 when he was awoken by the rag tag crew of the Eneterprise aboard his ship the SS Botany Bay. Desperatly in need of a leader since Kirks death, the charismatic Khan quickly rose to command the ship and lead it upon many desperate acts of Rebellion against the Alliance.

Since his arrival leadership of the rebellion has effectively fallen to Khan, although Captain 'Smiley' O'Brien still commands the Defiant and remains an important player in the Rebels leadership...

Currently the Terran Rebellion fleet is made up of old, out-dated and captured vessels, while the specially built Defiant serves as the Rebellions flagship.

Ferengi Alliance

The Ferengi Empire under Grand Nagus Zek has fared well. It has been careful to remain neutral and impartial throughout the events between the Alliance and the Terrans, despite the works of Ferengi such as Mr Quark, Mr Rom and Mr Brunt, the Ferengi as a whole has retained its neutral status. Although privately Nagus Zek favours the rebellion as they would offer increased lisence to trade.

Romulan Unity

It is ironic that the Rebels best chance of survival lays with the existance of an empire crushed and destroyed by the Terran Imperium nearly 200 years before. In the 2160's Earth led a war against the peaceful Romulan Unity, this 'crusade' was instrumental in drawing the Imperium together as Earths allies the Vulcans, Andorians, Tellarites and Alpha Centurians joined forces and proceeded to crush the Romulan defence force.

Descended from a peaceful philosophy on ancient Vulcan, the Romulans broke away to form a society based on their own teachings, involving the peaceful exploration of the galaxy.

The few Romulans that were left were forced to become Nomadic, and in an effort to remain concealed developed cloaking technology of their own fitting them to their generational ships as they continued to hide from persecution.

They watched the rise and fall of the Terran Empire, and even after the damage done to their species they remained outside the Klingon/Cardassian Alliance, both species were as much an enemy to them as the Imperium had been.

Now 200 years later, the existance of the Romulan Unity is the stuff of legend, whenever any of its members are discovered they claim to be Vulcans, although such events are rare. It all depends on how much such a legend would draw the leadership of the Rebellion to seek out the Unity and seek their aid. Rumour has it that a starship is already undergoing such a task...

Whether or not the Romulans will choose to get involved, or even if they will side with the Rebellion after the wrongs done them by the earliy Terran Empire remains to be seen.

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

What about the Mirror Dominion and the (gasp!) Mirror Borg?

Why do you assume that the Romulans were initially peaceful? Was that written somewhere? I'd prefer to believe that the Romulans were as bad (if not worse) than in the standard universe, but that the Terran Empire was far worse, and that's why the Romulan Star Empire was devastated.

I would guess that, since Q has not appeared in the Mirror Universe (to my knowledge), neither the Empire nor the Alliance have met the Mirror Collective. I have no solid evidence to back that up, but that's how I'd work it. Hey, how about if the Borg from the Mirror Universe somehow contacted the Borg from the standard universe? Think of all the fun they could have!

As for the Mirror Dominion, as far as I know they are still in the Gamma Quadrant. Having never discovered the wormhole (?), there was no way to come into contact with the Founders or their Dominion. Who do you suppose the Dominion would side with? Or would they prove enough of a problem that the Alliance and the Rebellion would join forces with the Romulans? Oooh... I think I smell a new Series brewing!

Yeah, and what about the Q Continuum? Since they are practically omnipotent and omniscient, I would assume that they know about the Mirror Universe. Why not mess with them? I have to think that Q would have a great time screwing with their heads.

mactavish out.

I hadn't actually finalised those, however the mirror Dominion was not a priority due to the canon fact that nobody had discovered the wormhole in the mirror universe, and that 'The Sisko' was now dead...

Of course a potential plot seed is that now Sisko is with the Prophets he might 'discover' the wormhole in the realities he is no longer able to do so...
    Such as the universe that he was assimilated by the Borg at Wolf 359... But I digress...

I hadn't managed to work out how the Borg would work... Its possible that they focued their attentions on the Gamma Quadrant instead of the Beta/Alpha quadrants...

Alternatively they could be a collection of cybernetically enhanced creatures who go around giving advanced technology to those species without it

Seriously though, the most I had thought was to make them a mechanical Frankenstein, much like the Vidians, mechanically based organisms who are attempting Cyborg status from the other side, instead of assimilating new species, they could be constructed and organic componants harvested from other species used to make them cyborgs... Dont know about you but thats creepy to me...

------------------
    Dan.

Originally posted by mactavish:
    Why do you assume that the Romulans were initially peaceful? Was that written somewhere? I'd prefer to believe that the Romulans were as bad (if not worse) than in the standard universe, but that the Terran Empire was far worse, and that's why the Romulan Star Empire was devastated.

mactavish out.
    I only assume the Romulans to be peaceful to be the opposite of the Vulcans, Both Tuvok and Spock were cold emotionless and Logical, but with the understanding of the need for violence, so to explain the breakaway I went the opposite (It was a true mirror universe until Kirk messed with it! <G>)

That was my entire reasoning behind the Romulans, besides I liked the idea of having them as the good guys for once... <G> But as is commonly said YMMV.

As for the Q, theres too much weirdness,the Q are omnipotent and can exist anywhere, so the Q we know and love can go to the mirror universe easily, but would there be mirror Q? ahhhh, brain turning to melted cheese! <G>

Thanks for the comments so far!

------------------
    Dan.

[This message has been edited by Dan Gurden (edited 01-04-2001).]

Arrow

Shouldn't it have been Spock that Kahn was unfrozen to replace and not Kirk? I understood Spock took care of his commander upon his return to the Alt. Universe.

I can't remember if Steve K stuff had the history of the Universe of not off hand But I know one timeline in a Best of Trek Book actually had Kahn the reason why the Empire rose originally, and layed out the way the Romualns were destroyed and they were peaceful.

Originally posted by Eric R.:
    Shouldn't it have been Spock that Kahn was unfrozen to replace and not Kirk? I understood Spock took care of his commander upon his return to the Alt. Universe.

I can't remember if Steve K stuff had the history of the Universe of not off hand But I know one timeline in a Best of Trek Book actually had Kahn the reason why the Empire rose originally, and layed out the way the Romualns were destroyed and they were peaceful.
    Well if those are the cases I can go with those. I dont remember hearing whether Spock dealt with Kirk or not, but the thought of an embittered and self-accusing Spock commanding the Enterprise after his actions led to the downfall of the Empire does hold a certain appeal...

And also leaves the field wide open for Kahn to take command (That again was also someone I thought would be fun as a (not so) good guy with an agenda...)

But again if Khan was the cause of the split then it cannot be... Perhaps a Picard or iker in charge of the Enterprise...

Or maybe the player crew... THAT should put a smile on your players faces until they realise that after 100 years the ship should be holding together with spit and glue...

------------------
    Dan.

Question

Were the Andorians, Tellarites, and Centaurans allies or slaves of the Terran Empire? I got the impression that the humans were top dog and everybody else was subjugated.

My understanding is as follows:

1. Humanity formed the Empire sometime before TOS (probably in the latter half of the 21st century, by my estimates) when Zefram Cochrane's warp travel ideas were stolen by the Eastern Coalition (or another hostile Earth government) and he was imprisoned or executed.

2. Mankind encountered the Vulcans when they detected a warp signature in Earth space and landed on Earth.

3. Humanity either formed an alliance with them or traveled to Vulcan and conquered them.

4. Using what they learned from the Vulcans, the Empire eventually encountered the Romulan Star Empire, whom they defeated and almost completely annihilated.

5. The Terran Empire explored space and conquered or obliterated pretty much everyone else that they made contact with, including the Klingons and the Cardassians.

6. After contact with the standard universe's Kirk (as the result of a transporter malfunction), Spock began a reform movement within the Empire; this led to a weakening of the entire imperial structure and it eventually fell to a Klingon-Cardassian rebellion.

7. The Klingons and the Cardassians, having been repressed for so long, roundly thrashed humanity and its Vulcan allies/subjugates, forcing them into slavery.

8. The newly-formed Alliance made overtures toward the Bajorans, who became an important part of the new order; the Celestial Temple (i.e. Bajoran wormhole) was never discovered in this reality.

The remaining events have already been detailed in several episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

As for the Borg, I'd like to think that they are essentially the same as in the standard Star Trek universe. In fact, I think that an excellent Series could result from a Borg invasion of Alliance space in which the various factions (the Alliance, the Mirror Universe Maquis [i.e. the Terran Rebellion], the remnants of the Romulan Star Empire, and perhaps others) joined forces to combat the unstoppable juggernaut that is the Collective.

Perhaps a combined force of 40 Alliance-Maquis-Romulan starships engages a single Borg cube at Wolf 359 and is utterly devastated as the Collective makes its way toward Qo'nos or Cardassia. Maybe the Borg are repelled by the quick thinking of the android, Lore, a loyal servant of the Alliance.

On the other hand, maybe Qo'nos (or Cardassia) are assimilated and the Borg begin to systematically conquer the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. Or perhaps the Bajoran wormhole is finally discovered and, when the Alliance ships travel to the Gamma Quadrant, an assimilated Dominion is there waiting for them!

I've already begun writing the notes for my new series in which the aformentioned information is true. Just wait until my players get a load of this!

mactavish out.

Hi, as I'm a huge Mirror universe fan, let me start by saying great ideas...but, have you read the new Mirror Universe novels by Susan Wright -- Dark Passions, books one and two?

They are actually set in the DS9 Mirror just before the first crossover episode...

SPOILER ALERT!

If you follow the books, Seven becomes the Overseer of the Terran Empire with Janeway the commander of her flagship, the Voyager...Dukat was destroyed by Tain and is wandering the Union in a battered old freighter. Troi is the Intendant of Betazed, a world so afraid of outsiders that she is the only member of her race to travel (so no troops). B'Elana Torres is the Intendant of Sol -- earth was destroyed by the Alliance and a deepcore project initiated by Sisko's wife has rendered it uninhabitable (interestingly i think this would have occured about the time of the First Contact borg invasion...).

Just about every alien race is mentioned: Ktarans, Tholians, Orions, Andoria is destroyed by the Alliance?! read the books to find out why...my only quibble is that the Gorn are not mentioned.

Now, I'm never sure if Trek novels are considered "cannon" or not, but the beauty of Trek is that there are an infinate number of parallels, especially Mirror ones. Just some thoughts....

Annika Hansen as the Overseer of the Terran Empire, Torres as the Intendent of the Sol system, Troi as the Intendent of the Betazed system, and Kira as the Intendent of the Bajor system? It's like that movie "Bad Girls" with Drew Barrymore!

Explain the logic to me. Torres I can almost see as the Klingon halfbreed sent to rule a burned out Earth, and Kira Nerys as the Intendent of Bajor is already a well established reality. I can even (almost) buy Troi as Intendent of Betazed, but Annika Hansen, a human, as empress of the Terran Empire (which, correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't even EXIST anymore)?

How the heck does that happen? Who the heck is Annika Hansen in the Mirror Universe anyway? She's apparently not the former 7 of 9, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01.

I suppose the Bev Crusher is like the Dr. Mengele of the Star Trek Mirror Universe, right?

Is there any sort of a timeline regarding the Mirror Universe anywhere on the Internet that includes this data? I looked but couldn't really find anything.

mactavish out.

As for whether the Mirror universe knows about the wormhole - I'd say yes they do. They didn't know prior to Kira and Bashir arriving, but certainly afterwards. Think about it. Kira and Bashir escape Terok Nor in the runabout. They're being pursued by a Klingon cruiser. They disappear into the wormhole and dimension-hop home. I seriously doubt that the cruiser just didn't notice! They may have assumed that the wormhole was a typical member of its kind and unstable, of course.

Diverging from Trek canon a little, how about the Mirror-Taurhai?

------------------
    "Captain? Is something wrong?"

"I just had the most terrible news. I have to attend the Annual Admirals' Dinner.
    I've faced Borg, Romulans and battle-crazed Jem'Hadar, but nothing compares to this."

Captain Matt Hunter, USS Tempest

Lightbulb

What about Mirror Pakleds? Let's say they've been swiftly conquered by the Alliance are now used to operate simple, heavy machinery everywhere.

An entire story arc could be built about trying to get these dumwits to rebel.

I could barely go with Torres, why Annika Hansen? What "Terran Empire"? Unless you postulate that some fragment of the Terran Empire surivives... which could be I suppose, like the Solomani Confederation still exists in Traveller even though Terra is occupied by the Imperium.

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

Originally posted by mactavish:
    Mirror Universe Cast of Characters
    <<Slight Spoiler

>>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>

It should be noted that the Mirror Garak was killed in The Emporers New Cloak.

------------------
    Dan.

I was actually thinking about the Mirror Taurhai. The Taurhai (as written) are one of my favorite LUG races. They are good guys (after a fashion) with all kinds of cool technology and a positive outlook, but they offer their lifestyle to others and force it on those that don't accept it willingly.

So, following the "logic" of the Mirror Universe, the Taurhai would probably be similar to their standard universe counterparts, but perhaps with more dark a bent than they are customarily presented. They still have their beliefs pretty much "as is", but are much more active and agressive in promoting them. The "cultivate" their beliefs in others by force and are not above "purifying" rebellious worlds when they deem it necessary. Perhaps they are the Taurhai Hegemony in the Mirror Universe rather than the Taurhai Unity.

I also considered their relationship with the remaining Romulan. My guess would be that the Romulans would be a part of the Taurhai (willingly or otherwise) and might even be a part of a task force sent to "pacify" the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance. I would imagine that their superior technology would permit this quite easily, too.

Okay, I'll concede that the Alliance is probably aware of the existence of the wormhole, but I seriously doubt that the Prophets would allow them access to it considering how much the Bajorans have diverged from their original religious beliefs. And obviously the Mirror Dominion probably never found it; they certainly were unaware of it in the standard universe until the UFP came through to the Gamma Quadrant.

I'd really like to see a Borg invasion in the Mirror Universe. Just imagine the carnage. Sure the Alliance is tough, but "resistance is futile", don't you know?

mactavish out.

P.S. This is one of the most interesting threads I've read in these parts. Let's keep it going.

P.P.S. Who wrote the Mirror sourcebook material about the TNG/DS9 era? I'd really be keen on having a look at that.