Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How canon is canon?

How canon is canon?

Shortly after the premiere episode of Enterprise, people started nailing B&B for having humans make first contact with Klingons a century earlier than "canon" had established.

An LUG sourcebook (The First Line to be exact) states that the first starship to contact Klingons was the USS Ranger, and that the Klingons developed starships by capturing that vessel.

My question: Is this the canon everyone talks about, and is it actually canon? I mean, when was it actually stated on a TELEVISION EPISODE that the Ranger made contact with Klingons? Or is that whole thing just a fan-created thing that's been around so long that it's just generally accepted as canon?

Because if it's never been actually stated on the shows, then this is my response to everyone who nailed B&B about "Broken Bow":
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

According to TOS episode, the day of the dove, first contact between the Federation and the Klingon Empire took place in 2218, not the 2150's. Thats about as cannon as you can get i guess. B&B just decided that "Earth's Akiraprize would go ahead and make first contact, and consider that first contact totaly different then the Federations first contact with the klingons. Maybe the klingons dissapear for a few decades, you know in a civil war between the smooth heads and the wrinkle heads, and then the smooth heads won, and then have a first contact with the federation, and the wrinkle heads have become slaves, and around 2270 the wrinkle heads have an uprising and kill every single last smooth head.... i dont know whats worse, my explanation, or whatever B&B come up with
    Last edited by RSchneider78; 11-05-2001 at 10:10 PM.

Perrryyy Guest

LUG isn't canon

Personally, I don't take LUG books to be the gospel according to Trek.

For me, those things shown in episodes are considered canon, and even they conflict. That having been said, I'm not too picky that Andorian antennae didn't move in TOS and they do in Enterprise. I'd like them to explain things like that, and maybe they will, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. I'll just watch Star Trek, use what I like and discard the rest.

The ever-present canon debate. Interesting to note that both Star Wars and Star Trek have the same type of debate.

As best as I can determine, drawing on information from both genres, canon is ultimately in the eyes of the beholder. One person may say only the episodes and movies are canon; another might say all the novels and RPG materials are canon as well; yet another may say some novels and some movies and some episodes are canon. Even Roddenberry supposedly stated that some of the events in the movies were apocryphal.

A RPG has to take a genre and fill in the blanks that aren't seen on-screen, and often has to try and answer the questions that the series didn't answer. Players and Narrators always end up questioning the things that don't quite get touched on, and the RPG has to be able to fill in the holes, even though that hole might be filled differently on a future episode.

I believe it's up to each Narrator and player to determine what is and is not canon for their particular campaign. If the Narrator says that for his/her campaign, Voyager never existed, then it never existed. If another Narrator says it did exist, but it didn't get lost in the Badlands, then it didn't.

To end this rambling (sorry!), let's leave it at "To each his/her own."

Never mentioned in a show. Heck, the Ranger being the ship is fairly recent, being mentioned by LUG.

The date of first contact with the Klingons is established in the Star Trek Chronology which many people accept as fact. It has lots of speculation, some of which I agree with, others (like TMP taking place in 2271) I disagree with.

However, it is a well-researched book and almost always states their assumptions and the reasons for them.

To quote LUG from the Disclaimer of the Star Trek RPG:
    While we have tried to extrpolate logically within the flavor of Star Trek, we have taken some liberties and players should remember that only the events, characters, and places that appear on the shows or in the films are canon.

To quote the 96 version of the Chronology.
    p vi:
    Where we have arbitrarily chosen a date, we have noted that the date is conjectural, and we have included some indication of the basis for the conjecture. The reader is, of course, free to agree or disagree with our interpretations.
    pp.37-38
    First Contact with the Klingon Empire...
    <snip>
    "Day of the Dove" (TOS) McCoy noted that Klingons and humans had been adversaries for 50 years prior to the episode, set in 2268.

Editors' Note: "First Contact" (TNG) also described this as happening "centuries" ago, but it is only 144 years before that episode (2367).
    While that date is not explicitly labelled as conjecture, it certainly seems to have room for error. For example, "Broken Bow" takes place in 2251, over two centuries prior to "First Contact". The Chronology assumes that 50 years of hostility went all the way back to the first contact with the Klingons. But perhaps the contact was long before "50 years of constant hostility".

As an example from the US, we never really liked the Soviet Union, even sending troops (along with other European powers) around 1918 to try to stop the Communist Revolution. But we pretty much ignored the Soviet Union as an enemy until the late 40's. So, we had a "bad first contact" in 1918 and decades of hostility between the late 40's and late '80's. Not that we liked them prior to the late '40s, just that they weren't the major adversary of the United States until that point, indeed even being an ally in the early-mid '40s.

Moving along, the date given (2271) for Star Trek: The Motion Picture is described as being "somewhat conjectural".
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

As for The Motion Picture occuring in 2271, that's been totally thrown off due to the Voyager episode Q2. In it, Icheb tells Janeway that Kirk's original five-year mission ended in 2270. Then, Star Trek: The Motion Picture has Decker telling Kirk that the admiral himself hasn't been in command of the Enterprise in over two and a half years. That places The Motion Picture no earlier than 2272 and possibly into 2273 (in fact, the novelization of TMP is even more specific, stating that Spock has been studying Kohlinar for 2.8 years; I know, non-canon).

But I say this just for everyone's information.

Um...guys? Since all of our games aren't canon, isn't canon what you want it to be? After all...the shows contradicted themselves on a regular basis, as did the movies, the books, games, etc...

It's not as if this is reality.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

At last..a sensible voice. Well pointed out qerlin, Star Trek is not real! Who cares if the continuity is messed up occasionally (such as when were the eugenics wars??). This is because it is fiction, and when it started the writers didn't have whinging fanboys to worry about, and so just made 'one off' stories.

It is only since the fanbase has become more picky that continuity has been attempted, but with the back-catalogue of mistakes it is impossible to correct.

Let's just watch it and enjoy it, and leave the continuity problems for the Official Timeline books etc to worry about!!
    Dehann - "Why don't we just throw that round thing at 'em?"

Samson - "Because, Mr Dehann, that is the saucer section and we are on it!!"

Originally posted by qerlin
    Um...guys? Since all of our games aren't canon, isn't canon what you want it to be? After all...the shows contradicted themselves on a regular basis, as did the movies, the books, games, etc...

It's not as if this is reality.
    I have to argree. Canon is what you say it is...you are the GM after all. I recall that some posts indicate that some of you out there deny Voyager's existence in their universe or at least the Voyager potrayed on TV...

If B&B want to change "canon" that's their entitlement, its their show after all. They must be doing something right otherwise why are they still in charge of Trek. But enough of that, I'm not defending what they're doing...I personally disagree with it...my solution...deny anything that I don't agree with and change what I want to suit MY GAME...so to repeat what a said CANON IS WHAT YOU SAY IT IS...
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King

Talking

Despite what some (including family) might think, I am aware of Trek being a TV show. My real worries in life revolve around paying the mortgage, staying employed, being a good husband and soon-to-be daddy.

That said, the whole "canon" thingamabobber serves to have as a baseline. In my opinion it is pretty useful to have a common set of assumptions, especially among gamers, so if a new player joins a group you don't have to hand them your 6-volume personal history of Star Trek. (hmmm, I may have just described the Jim Dixon timeline...)
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

What I mean is that lets not worry too much about the little inconsistencies that are cropping on what appears to be just about two months' worth of ENTERPRISE episodes. There is an underlying consistency in Trek (well at least until ENTERPRISE began) so I think basically most players, new or old are familiar with the basic canon, its just the nitty gritty nitpicking stuff that may vary from game to game so you'll just have to educate the new players as you go along.

Personally, I rely on the Chronology for my timeline. As I said earlier, ENTERPRISE is still way too new for any conclusions to be drawn about how it ties into TOS et al, in fact it may be some weird parallel universe or alternate timeline (I won't put it past B&B) so lets not worry too much about it. For now (as mentioned earlier) I'm relying on TOS, TNG,DS9, parts of VOY and the of course the nine (soon to be 10) motion pictures.
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King

Arrow

Like Dan said,

I pretty much use "canon" as a base line of events through ST history....

I think what has so many pissed about the "Broken Bow" Klingon encounter is that it blatently(sp) screwed up the "established" time line....right from the get go....

to many it seemed the first thing B&B did in ENT was show that they don't really give a rats a$$ about what TOS established.

Granted, they were going to have to take some "liberty" with "official" ST history....when your doing a show set in the past .

But,...as I warned my PC group before ENT came out...B&B have a hard on for all things Klingon....I said that the whole Klingon thing would be the first thing they do....history or no history...TOS canon or canon...and they did,not only once but out of six episodes we have seen the Klingons twice

I guess what might bug a lot of Trek-a-zoids [myself included] is that these guys(B&B) know all this canon/history/material...is out there....and there is a base line through most of it of "accepted" Star Trek History....they could have at least tried to work there stories a bit closer to what the fan base would expect to see [in an over all sence].

(I am mostly talking about "Broken Bow" and the whole Klingon mess)
    Wolf.

Angry

Originally posted by Admiral Wolf
    But,...as I warned my PC group before ENT came out...B&B have a hard on for all things Klingon....
    You can say that again.

This fits squarely in the realm of personal opinion but, frankly, I am so sick of Klingons it irritates me to no end. They appear prominently in 4 of the movies, were cast characters in two of the four shows, TNG beat us over the head several times a year with Klingon-slanted stories, DS9 turned around and did the same damn thing, and even VOY couldn’t resist the allure of ramming Klingon stories down our throat.

It came as no surprise to see Klingons in “Broken Bow” for me.

I fail to see the attraction to Klingons: big, snarling, two-dimensional, fight-happy characters whose motivations are easy to predict. If it wasn’t for the concept of honor (blatantly stolen from the TOS Romulans, thank you), they’d be about as exciting to watch as animals mating.

Klingon rant over.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Romulans know honor? Only in the sense of the Chinese Communist Government that it portrayed.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

If it wasn’t for the concept of honor (blatantly stolen from the TOS Romulans, thank you), they’d be about as exciting to watch as animals mating.
    TOS Klingons tended to be one-dimensional - John Calicos, however did the best portrayl of Klingons and hinted to some of the elements that TOSMovie and TNG Klingons would show.

As for TOS Romulans. There is nothing I have seen about the TOS Romulans to have me agree with the above statement. While Romulans have gotten more devious in TNG, there hasn't been a huge shift from the TOS days.
    I love deadlines - I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by
    - The late Douglas Adams