View Poll Results: What do you think of Reality Programming?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like It

2 8.33%
  • Loath It

17 70.83%
  • I don't Particularly give a damn

5 20.83%

Thread: Reality Programmes

Reality Programmes

I'm personally sick of reality programmes like Survivor and the Great Race...what do you think?
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King

They are now beginning to pour on my country's TV channels, and I can't stand the damn things (hey they'd better air Enterprise and Voyager, at least I could have my own opinion ).

What upsets me above all is the fact that you can't seem to avoid hearing about them : not watching the programs is not enough, you have to avoid any news, friends or co-workers conversations, newspapers as well...
    Nothing can drive me crazier than hearing about something I don't care about anywhere I go anything I do.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Angry EEEERRRGH!

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Perrryyy Guest

Thumbs down don't watch em

You couldn't pay me to watch those. If I want to see strangers backstabbing each other for personal gain, I'll go out to Main Street USA :P

Let me know when a Reality Show comes up that has some "Reality" in it, then I'll cast a vote.

Re: "Reality" TV

The majority of 'reality' television shows, particularly those featuring contestants screwing each other over for a buck, highlight only our baser instincts. Whatever teamwork or cameraderie is shown is ultimately sacrificed when contestants choose to vote a former teammate away for a shot at the prize.

Are these people worth idolizing or cheering on? Hardly.

Survivor, in particular, seems to appeal to a certain mentality. The idiot who cut you off in traffic? Zap! Off the island. The kid who isn't fast enough or smart enough? Zap! Off the island. Not tall enough, pretty enough, popular enough? Zap! Off the island.

Life doesn't work that way, and more often than not, we're not even the ones who get to cast the votes.

Bob

Arrow REALITY, MY [edited by censorship]!!!

They were kind of fun to watch, albeit in the US you can't go far with censorship. But like the last World Series, I am always disappointed in the end (except for maybe Survivor 2: The Australian Outback and the Amazing Race).

The "fad" (IMO) has worn off from me.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

(a) Have never watched one, so I'm an uninformed 'loathe' vote, but...

(b) watching someone fall into and burn in a fire is entertainment? What? I thought COPS was bad enough.. Gee hon, let's gather round and have some chuckles watching someone ruin their lives...

The Doc
    So you think, 'Might as well,
    Dance a Tango to Hell,
    at least I'll have Tangoed at all.'
    -- "Rent," Jonathan Larson

Arrow

Well, that was an unfortunate accident for one of the Kucha tribal members. I kind like him, especially he put on "war" paint on his face with the pig's blood. Oh, that brings back my childhood.

At least the latest incarnation got a million dollar winner I can be proud of (instead of that devious, albeit well-played Richard Hatch ... no relations to the actor who played Apollo in Battlestar Galactica).
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer