Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thought for the day

What is it about the male ego that drives one to become alpha male? Does it really matter anymore, or have we evolved past the need for such an instinct?

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    While annoying, at least the cops in Palmyra don't have a suspected serial killer patrolling a beat. For that matter, I heard the New Orleans Police Chief a few years back say with pride that we only had two cops on Death Row. Glad I live out in the 'burbs! Then again, you don't want to mess with the Jefferson Parish Sherrif's Deputies. During one of the Mardi Gras night parades out here a few years back, some drunk moron decided to, um, urinate on the shoes of one of the JP's patrolling the parade route. They took him about a block away from the route & shone a spotlight at the streetlamp until it shut off... They then proceeded to "treat him like a king... Rodney King". So far as I know, nothing ever came of it.
    Last edited by Cybrludite; 11-08-2001 at 11:12 PM.
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

Originally posted by Cybrludite
    While annoying, at least the cops in Palmyra don't have a suspected serial killer patrolling a beat. For that matter, I heard the New Orleans Police Chief a few years back say with pride that we only had two cops on Death Row. Glad I live out in the 'burbs! Then again, you don't want to mess with the Jefferson Parish Sherrif's Deputies. During one of the Mardi Gras night parades out here a few years back, some drunk moron decided to, um, urinate on the shoes of one of the JP's patrolling the parade route. They took him about a block away from the route & shone a spotlight at the streetlamp until it shut off... They then proceeded to "treat him like a king... Rodney King". So far as I know, nothing ever came of it.
    Oh great! Here I am getting ready to go to La. at the end of the month for a friends wedding. Tell me how far are the JPs and the serial Killer from Lafayette?

Re: Where In The World Is Palmyra?

Originally posted by StyroFoam Man

Where is your town again? Downstate?
    Nassau County, Long Island. Near Mineola. About 4 miles from the Queens Line.

Karg

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    Originally posted by Phantom

Oh great! Here I am getting ready to go to La. at the end of the month for a friends wedding. Tell me how far are the JPs and the serial Killer from Lafayette?
    Quite a ways. It's way west-northwest of here, about 65-80 km. west of Baton Rouge, about 160 or so km from the western suburbs of New Orleans. Lafayette is roughly equidistant from New Orleans, and Beaumont, Tx. Enjoy your trip, and tell your friend "Mazel tov!" for me.
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

Just do what I did...

Get a rear-mounted rocket launcher installed in the trunk, and use the back seat as cargo space.

*whoooo-ooo...*

"I don't have time for this!"

*click!*

*WHOOOOSH!*

*BA-WOOM!*

"Ah, much better."

"It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Cool

Here's a tip for those who take their car to the bar, pool hall, or other licensed establishment for an evening's entertainment.

Have you noticed that your car has become a cop magnet, guaranteed to be pulled over every time you leave?

The boys-n-blue just might have tagged your car with flourescent tape. How it's done is they go through the parking lot of for example the bar, tear off pieces of flourescent tape and put it on the treads of some of the vehicles back tires. Later on that night if any cop car comes up behind you on the road while on patrol, the tape will flicker from the cops headlight beams hitting it as it goes around. They know that your car was one of the cars at the bar and they yank you over. While cop #1 has you occupied with the "drivers license-registration-proof of insurance" routine, cop #2 peels the tape off your tire without you seeing him do it.

So if you're a P-O'd designated driver who is tired of explaining to the authorities every Thursday night that there is absolutely no alcohol content in straight orange juice. Take a minute, check your back tires. You may get your hands a little dirty but you can have piece of mind that red-n-blues in your rear view won't be spoiling what was an excellent time on the town.
    "Exploration is not a choice, really; it's an imperative." -Lt. Col. Michael Collins, Apollo 11

On the other hand...

A couple buddies of mine are cops. Every now and then, they get duty on New Year's Eve/New Year where they run random stops along the road to check for DUIs. Although they give every driver they stop the breathalyzer, one of them told me that he can distinguish the drunks from the designated drivers on the onset.

The designated driver doesn't seem to mind the check. In fact, one or two of them ask to have a picture of them taken blowing into the tube.

The actual drunk drivers, however, usually protest that such a test is a violation of their "shibil rights". Go figure...
    Insert something clever

Interesting about the cops of New Orleans. I used to live there, about ten years ago. One Mardi Gras, my girlfriend at the time and I decided to check out the parades. We decided to base ourselves at Vic's Kangaroo Cafe, a sort of bizarre Australian blues bar in the Warehouse District. Why Vic's? Well, it was centrally located, and we could get to all the parades we wanted on foot.

So, after we had been there a few hours, and seen several parades, getting a bunch of beads and doubloons in the process, the front and back doors of Vic's banged open. Every cop in the world poured into the place, through both doors. I was pretty nervous. For a minute, I thought it was a raid, and worried that we were about to be arrested just for being there, even though, as far as I knew, we weren't breaking the law.

Well, instead of arresting people, the cops came up to the bar, and started to order drinks. They were ordering drinks much stronger than even was normal during Mardi Gras, mostly shots and beers, though a few ordered this thing called a Pink Cockatoo, which was basically a whole glass of rum, with a shot of grenadine, a slice of orange, and a cherry.

The cops started to get loud. They started to get rowdy. They went through a lot of shots and beers. A couple of them started to fight, and were dragged apart by the officers, who dragged the one who started the fight into the alley behind the bar.

After exactly 15 minutes of this, the cop with the most braid on his shoulder stood up and whistled loudly. The others perked up and looked attentive. Then, they staggered back out into the street, back ON DUTY. That was BREAK TIME for the New Orleans police.

Gotta love Loosiyana.................
    Slan agat!

Originally posted by Phantom

Heh, you're in luck!

New Orleans is about 2 1/2 hours away, 4 or 5 parishes and a large river lies between you.

Enjoy your stay and remember to ask for extra spices on your food because Louisiana food is kinda bland.