Thread: LOTR/SW Filmmaking question

LOTR/SW Filmmaking question

Here's a question that struck me as I was responding to the SW trailer thread...

The LOTR movies are being filmed together, and will be released in 2001, 2002, and 2003, back to back in successive years. From what little I know about the making of the LOTR series, there are a lot of CGI scenes and SFX work. From what I've seen of the LOTR trailer and TPM and Ep II trailers, the effects are pretty close quality-wise.

Why in the world does it take Lucas 10 years to put out a trilogy?

Coz he wants to milk it for as much as he can. I believe LotR was filmed all at once and they're just doing some post-production and reshoots for each during the next three years. It looks like Lucas is filming each one seperatley and probably pumping more into the franchise than into the movie. IMHO of course.

He doesn't film them at once for one thing.

Not only does he not film them all at once, he doesn't <I>write</I> them all at once. LOTR was written a long time ago, and was simply adapted to the big screen. Despite some rumors, Lucas doesn't have nine completed scripts on his shelf.

Also, Lucas IS a businessman, he wants to go with what sells, and he's hopefully learned something from TPM: 1) FX can't carry a film, 2) while Jar Jar is tolerable, there's a limit to how much of him we can tolerate and 3) FX can't carry a film (although with a good story, FX can move a film a long way).
    "It's an M-class planet, so there should be roddenberries."

Leela, Futurama

LotR was filmed at once in an effort to save costs. This is the same reason it was filmed in New Zealand. I saw a break down of the costs NZ vs. US and the cost was about 1/3 in NZ. Also given the history of LotR films Peter Jackson was (I believe) a bit concerned at first about whether or not he would get all three done if the first one flopped (I'm sure we all remember the Ralph Bakshi - rotoscope thing).

Another reason that LotR had to be shot at once is the timeframe in LotR is much smaller than in the current Star Wars stuff.

As far as franchising and Lucas being a businessman, you might want to take a look at some of the franchises handed out for LotR. They are listed on the webpage www.lordoftherings.net (I just can't wait for my Burger King LotR toys ;P )
    "I was ionized this morning but I'm okay now," B. Banzai